Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Behind the bumpers...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
Still have the OEM horns. They still work(miserably), and look to clean up fine. But when the BlueTooth connected, CD listening SUV behemoth drifts into my lane, the "bumpa-bumpa-bumpa" rice burner gets busy texting at the stop light, the blue-hair Buick stops on the on-ramp to the Interstate, or the self-absorbed, more important than thou M-B "S" class blows through the red light, I'd like something a little more audible than my horn to call attention to their driving shortcomings. I'm supposing I'd incur the wrath of all if a horn upgrade is accomplished. Any concours types do a worthwhile improvement? I'd like to see or hear what you've done. If it's from the Porsche parts shelf, that's OK.
Bleyseng
I located a really nice set of stock horns to replace my rusty barely working ones. I don't have a problem blasting someone (honking) now especially since they are moved to the early location.
The 75-76 location down under the bumper is too exposed to road crap! mad.gif
boxstr
This is to easy. Plug and play.
Griots garage has Hella loud horns. They work, try um.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?SK...;topnav=FRHOL06
CCLINHONKFUCKINHONK
freezing14
if you have the one that are the screw type ,, just dissassemble and clean the vibration contact ijside it makes them
LLOOUUDD
GaroldShaffer
I have a set of air horns removed from a 914 parts car. confused24.gif

Pat Garvey
Well, this setup won't fit "behind" your bumpers, but.....

I was at the drags at IRP in the early 90's. Guy, WAY back in the parking field, had a mid-70's Chebby wagon with the perfect setup.

A welded 3 foot cage on the front, that carried a horn from a diesel locomotive. Another, smaller cage on the back that carried aircraft landing lights!

Don't know if they were functional, but I sure wouldn't want to find out!

Seriously, 914 dual horns are LOUD. If yours aren't, then they need to be cleaned or replaced (cheap VW parts). I know you won't attempt cleaning them, so just replaced them.

OR....you could install a roof-mounted system with the diesel loco horn pointing north & aircraft lights pointing south. Don't think the standard 914 electrics would handle it, but you could change that. Point is, "even or better".

Then, you could install a reverse text windshield header that says "Move, or I'll blow your entire audio system out", and one in the back that says"Dim your f_cking lights or I'll burn out your retinas"

It's all in presentation.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.