Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weekend Projects -- Fritz Lives and Lucille gets a 3rd radiator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nine14cats
This 4 day weekend has been great for race car progress.

Fritz lives! clap56.gif

My friend Tom Amon rebuilt the motor after I damaged 2 cylinders from pre-detonation due to a broken distributor belt. Tom cleaned up the damage and we did a little upgrading "while we were in there" happy11.gif

Let's just say more HP and more reliability. Full top end rebuild and ARP fasteners throughout. We re-installed the motor in 2.5 hours this morning and after priming the oil system the motor lit off in 3 revolutions. Fritz idles fine and after terrorizing the neighborhood, I must say that the 3.6 993 motor in a lightweight car is just amazing! (SirAndy you luck boy... laugh.gif )

Damn...makes me want to figure out how to keep Fritz and Lucille....

Here's a pic of Fritz as of a couple of minutes ago. No runs, drips or errors. Absolutely brutal acceleration. 300HP in 2400lbs. Did I say I love 3.6's? aktion035.gif

Bill P.
nine14cats
And here is what I did with Lucille yesterday. I purchased a 996 center radiator and hoses and mounted the radiator. I'll crack into the lines later this afternoon and then bleed the air out of the cooling system. This should give me added protection during those 108 degree track days at Buttonwillow!

Take a look. Everything bolted right up as the sheet metal is stamped to accept the 3rd radiator.

Bill P.

nine14cats
And an update on "The Beast™....

The 2 way adjustable shocks and struts are at Ground Control being rebuilt. I should have them back before Christmas. The tub has been powdercoated (Grand Prix White). The trailing arms and steering pieces are being painted next week. And next week the body panels will be fit up for final prep before paint.

Bill P.
nine14cats
Oh...and Yeaman Autobody gets Lucille on Monday to fit up and paint the GT3 nose.

blink.gif I can't keep up....

Bill P.
DanT
Nice progress on both cars Bill.

Lucille is looking better every time I see her.

I can hardly wait for Doris and Lucille to do some bonding on the track. biggrin.gif

the GT3 nose will look great all painted and ready for battle with the 3rd radiator for extra insurance on those cool days at BW and TH in July and August. blink.gif

Looking forward to next season of AX and TT.
I am pretty solid on my motor build specs now...
Just need to finish my last few "honeydos" and I can get that motor out. clap56.gif
Randal
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Nov 25 2006, 02:49 PM) *

Fritz lives! clap56.gif

My friend Tom Amon rebuilt the motor after I damaged 2 cylinders from pre-detonation due to a broken distributor belt. Tom cleaned up the damage and we did a little upgrading "while we were in there" happy11.gif

Let's just say more HP and more reliability. Full top end rebuild and ARP fasteners throughout. We re-installed the motor in 2.5 hours this morning and after priming the oil system the motor lit off in 3 revolutions. Fritz idles fine and after terrorizing the neighborhood, I must say that the 3.6 993 motor in a lightweight car is just amazing! (SirAndy you luck boy... laugh.gif )

Here's a pick of Fritz as of a couple of minutes ago. No runs, drips or errors. Absolutely brutal acceleration. 300HP in 2400lbs. Did I say I love 3.6's? aktion035.gif

Bill P.

I love Fritz. wub.gif
nebreitling
way too much fun! (and $$, i'm sure smile.gif )

great work, bill.
nine14cats
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Nov 25 2006, 03:26 PM) *

Nice progress on both cars Bill.

Lucille is looking better every time I see her.

I can hardly wait for Doris and Lucille to do some bonding on the track. biggrin.gif

the GT3 nose will look great all painted and ready for battle with the 3rd radiator for extra insurance on those cool days at BW and TH in July and August. blink.gif

Looking forward to next season of AX and TT.
I am pretty solid on my motor build specs now...
Just need to finish my last few "honeydos" and I can get that motor out. clap56.gif

Thanks Dan,

I'm sure you and Ken have the motor pull covered, but if you need help, let me know and I can help. I owe you for Lucille.

Can't wait to have you coaching Doris again. She's going to love Lucille.

I just got done bleeding the coolant lines. No leaks! clap56.gif

Bill P.
nine14cats
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 25 2006, 04:16 PM) *

Fritz lives! clap56.gif

Here's a pick of Fritz as of a couple of minutes ago. No runs, drips or errors. Absolutely brutal acceleration. 300HP in 2400lbs. Did I say I love 3.6's? aktion035.gif

Bill P.

I love Fritz. wub.gif

Me too!..... wub.gif Power everywhere....it's so intoxicating! beer3.gif

Oh...and I found a 3.6 for The Beast™ if we want. Full bottom and top end rebuild. ZERO miles!

A little pricey...but we can specify extras within the price...we'll have to talk... happy11.gif

Bill P.
nine14cats
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Nov 25 2006, 05:03 PM) *

way too much fun! (and $$, i'm sure smile.gif )

great work, bill.

Hi Nathan,

Yeah...I'm still bleeding cash.... laugh.gif

But now everything runs that is at my place and we can move forward on selling Fritz. Full media blitz nationwide.....hopefully someone wants a nice Xmas present!

As for The Beast™, I'm thinking we can have a spring assembly party. Scott Yeaman said we can use his shop to put it together on a weekend. We have to decide what size motor we want and go from there.

I'm still blown away by the torque in Fritz....Hmmm....may need a 996 upgrade in Lucille next year....What else can I sell around here? laugh.gif

Bill P.
DanT
You don't need the 911 with 300hp.... smile.gif

You are going to have way too much fun driving Lucille and kicking butt on some higher powered cars.

and if you decide you need more power that 996 transplant is just around the corner...

waterpumper 996 motors seem to be cheaper than aircooled 911 motors and even some big bore type IVs. (oops I shouldn't have said that smile.gif )

Lucille is going to be a blast and with a 996 transplant it will be a dream....big HP and a very stable well sorted chassis....sounds like a modern day Beast biggrin.gif
Trekkor
oops I shouldn't have said that

Shhhhh....I won't say nuthin'.

KT
Randal
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Nov 25 2006, 07:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 25 2006, 04:16 PM) *

Fritz lives! clap56.gif

Bill P.

I love Fritz. wub.gif

Me too!..... wub.gif Power everywhere....it's so intoxicating! beer3.gif

Oh...and I found a 3.6 for The Beast™ if we want. Full bottom and top end rebuild. ZERO miles!

A little pricey...but we can specify extras within the price...we'll have to talk... happy11.gif

Bill P.

I'll be very interested in hearing about the motor Bill.

Rough_Rider
Bill, love the GT3 nose. Looks like a nice aero advantage.

Is there a website to get ahold of the boxster cup rules? That is i'm assuming your building to those rules.
nine14cats
Hi Trev,

Here is the link to the Spec Boxster rules:

Boxster Spec Racing

My car currently meets the rules as built. The GT3 nose is a no-no in the rules as they want the cars to stick with stock boxster noses or boxster "S" noses or replicas. The GT3 noses give a slight aero advantage supposedly. I'm keeping my stock nose in case I crunch the GT3 nose or when I run with the POC in Boxster Spec I can switch back to the stock nose and be legal. Actually, I am legal as they (the spec boxster org) grandfathered in parts that were not specified at the time as not to spec. So I could leave it on if I want.

The only other difference is that the spec tire combo is Victoracers in 225/45/17 fronts and 255/40/17 rears. This was done to 1) keep tire costs down and force everyone to use the same tire and 2) Kumho does not recommend the 245/45's to be placed on 7 inch rims, which are the Spec Boxster's rim width in the front. Kumho says there are safety reasons for pinching the sidewalls in so much. The minimum for a 245/45 is 7.5 inches.

That being said, most Boxster drivers I know have been running 245/45's or 245/40's on the stock 7 inch rims for years. I haven't heard of a sidewall related failure or incident.

Thanks,

Bill P.
brant
nice work Bill!
nine14cats
Installed the GT3 nose tonight on Lucille after picking it up from Yeaman Autobody. The nose treatment came out really nice. Always fun to drill into freshly painted f/g!

Here's some pics of the progress.

Bill P.

nine14cats
Front tow hook from TonyC at TCDesign. Very cool....

DanT
drooley.gif wink.gif
nine14cats
Rear Tow Hook from TCDesign.

I love Tony's work....

Bill P.

DanT
Lucille isn't going to need any "stinkin' tow hooks" biggrin.gif

Looks great Bill....Lots of good stuff on this car...
nine14cats
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 6 2006, 11:08 PM) *

Lucille isn't going to need any "stinkin' tow hooks" biggrin.gif

Looks great Bill....Lots of good stuff on this car...

She'd better not need the tow hooks any time soon! laugh.gif

I just received my GT3 door panel inserts for the doors. They are light and look cool. I need to sand them and rattle can them, but they have a marking for where to locate a 944 door latch. That way you don't have to reach out of the car if you don't want to.

Check it out... only 2 pounds each. I like the finished look it will give the car.

Bill P.

drew365
Bill; how easily does your tow hook swivel? I had just made solid aluminum tow hooks that I put on just before Button Willow and I feel I would have had less damage from "brushing" the wall if I'd still had the flexible straps on the car. The area that was pushed in the furthest was at the two hook. I'm thinking of going with a fold away design or maybe a cable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.