Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front shift rod
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
Hey, whats the trick for taking out the front (shifter to firewall) shift rod? Trying to replace all the bushings. All i can think is that i have to take the cup off the end and slide it out of the tunnel towards the rear of the car, but hopefully someone has a neater trick.
Mueller
it's been awhile since I've dealt with that part, but I want to say that you can just loosen the shifter and move the rod towards the front of the car to gain access to the bushing.

either that or loosen the rod at the shifter and move the rod forward...

GeorgeRud
Depends if you have the early or late style shifter. Unbolting and lifting the shift tower up will release the early style shiftrod, the later ones have the rod bolted to the end of the shifter. Either way though, you have to unbolt things and pull it back through the firewall if you want to replace all the bushings (which is the whole idea anyway).
jeffdon
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 25 2006, 03:49 PM) *

Depends if you have the early or late style shifter. Unbolting and lifting the shift tower up will release the early style shiftrod, the later ones have the rod bolted to the end of the shifter. Either way though, you have to unbolt things and pull it back through the firewall if you want to replace all the bushings (which is the whole idea anyway).

Kinda what i thought. Its a tail shifter, by the way.

Thanks for the help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.