Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trojanhorsepower
Hi guys and gals

Can any body tell me what cam this is i.e. performance stock. I have read the Weber thread and the stock number don't seem to match the numbers that I have. I could not find a web page for eagle cams, and CB did not list this item #.

It does not really matter since I am stuck with this cam, but it might help me tune the motor (if it ever runs!).

Thanks again

-Pete
2teeners
I bought one similar at cbperformance.com looks like their version of the stock cam

here's all their cams for type iv's

cbperformance eagle typeiv cams

I'm wondering, though if it's a carb stock cam. i recall the fi cam has very little overlap (5degrees or so) anybody confirm or deny this?
2teeners
pulled this from the pelican site archives. your cam seems much more agressive than this stock spec calls out. Slightly less duration than a webcam 73 but less lift.

"
Haynes says that the stock cam specs are as follows:
intake open @ 12 deg btdc
closes @ 42 abdc for duration of 234 deg
exh open @43 bbdc
closes @ 4 atdc for duration of 227 deg

valve lift is .385"
trojanhorsepower
CRAP!

How bad is that going to screw with my stock FI??

-Pete
Aaron Cox
sounds like a carb cam ohmy.gif
trojanhorsepower
Shit I hope not!

I know that the PO bought it with the intention of putting the factory FI back on, so unless some one sold him the completely wrong cam (very possible) it should be atleast an FI cam.

But who knows. I guess I will just have to wait till I try to fire it up.

-Pete
2teeners
Well, if the webcam 73 is a hotter FI cam, and this is milder than that, It can't be too bad.

I bought the hotter carb cam, but have decided not to build that motor. I wish I'd have bought one like yours for my plans involving FI. unsure.gif
trojanhorsepower
That's a big relief! smile.gif
Thanks for all your effort 2teener.

-Pete
beerchug.gif
DuckRyder
Its right there on CB's webpage: 2199 =

2199 Stock duration & lift T-2 and 914 camshaft. Fits all VW and Porsche 1700, 1800, & 2 liter engines, exact replacement for factory cam. $99.95

Sounds like it should work fine. idea.gif
DuckRyder
P.S.

That is about the lamest cam card I ever saw. Crane would close its doors before it turned something that abstract out.

God only knows what it is speced at: .006, .004. .050, mm, inches, anyone got a crystal ball to read their mind?

One could assume the specs are at the indicated lash, but it does not actually say that.

GFL degreeing it.
2teeners
i went in to order a cam and was stumped by all this, so i did a little further research to find the answer, and here's what I found.

from a post here-

I emailed Web Cam recently and asked them for the specs on their replacement for the stock 914 camshaft and they replied:

"These are the specs on the stock cam:

.302 @ the cam on the intake ( 7.67 mm)
.283 @ the cam on the exhaust ( 7.19 mm)

Duration @ .050 intake is 210°
Duration @ .050 intake is 206°

Intake opens -3°
Intake closes 33°

exhaust opens 31°
exhaust closes -5° "

You also have to consider the rocker arm ratio.---

I found another post which said Porsche specs are measured at .040, not .050. That's what the Haynes manual calls out, so the numbers are different, but in line.

the yellow card from your pic calls out duration which is measured at 0 lift, so that could align as well.

so we're dealing with three different ways of cam measurement, that's where the confusion comes in.

It would appear you have close to a regular fi cam. smilie_pokal.gif and the hotter webcam 73 for comparison is out at 224deg. duration.

I feel better now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.