Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV carnage.....so I did a mas rapido exit and....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
this happened.....
736conver
Did the bearings just pop out or did the cage break
Joe Bob
Nope.....snapped the axle right off at the splines,,,,didn't lose my balls until I gots home....GOTTA be a joke in there someplace....
736conver
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 25 2006, 07:12 PM) *

Nope.....snapped the axle right off at the splines,,,,didn't lose my balls until I gots home....GOTTA be a joke in there someplace....

Ah yes now I see the axle still in the cage.

DAMN!!!!

crash914
Torque baby,...

at least your balls stayed intact...
JPB
Ayyyy cabron! Mucho rapido egal mucho mierda ci. biggrin.gif
jwalters
Damn! sorry to see that, did it mess any under carriage stuff up??? Which car were you in??

These axles must be prone to intergranular corrosion - cause that is what it looks like from what I can tell, of yours and others I have seen. These axles are fairly beefy, really should not see this...
crash914
at least you saved the cv joint...
Joe Bob
My 3.6 powered 911 SC....no damage.....it quit when I shifted from 1st to 2nd.....and I was going pretty sedately after the launch....

I had a CV go thump, thump and replaced it with another axle with CVs from another poster. Lasted a week.....oh well, live and learn.
TimT
I usually lunch a CV once a year, havent broken an axle yet
vanaman
at least you didnt break your balls.

steve
736conver
QUOTE(vanaman @ Nov 25 2006, 07:58 PM) *

at least you didnt break your balls.

steve

Yea but the top of the shaft was severed

wacko.gif
Eric_Shea
The new one we discussed...
Joe Bob
More pics.....the interior CV was banged on pretty hard....this is one of a few views....be advised, this NOT the CV that came with the car...this was a temporary replacement while I was waiting to rebuild the original unit that was thumping...I paid 125 for this and I got what I paid for.....

Joe Bob
BTW...shouldn't there be a clip on the business end here?

Eric_Shea
Yup.
Joe Bob
Well that suxs....
Eric_Shea
I know you've reitterated that you got what you paid for but man... that's one F'd up CV. Wonder how one would get that bad? I've torn apart 30 year old 914 CV's with hardly any wear... Power is what power does I guess.
Allan
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 25 2006, 05:12 PM) *

didn't lose my balls until I gots married...

There's yer joke... biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Still got the balls...they just be moth balled.....
mightyohm
I have a 1.7 and my CV's looked that bad when I took them apart. Maybe they were used when they were installed on my car? I replaced them all (with much better used ones!). One of these days I will get the Shea/Mueller kit.

Andyrew
sheesh! something got tangled to do that!! that shaft is much thicker than those balls and ring(cage).. its common for the ring to break, but the shaft breaking? That hurts just thinking about it..

This is a serious post.. no inuendo's intended..
PRS914-6
Wow, that sucks....Lucky it didn't fling around and beat the crap out of anything.

Sway-Away eliminated that groove and claims the inside groove is where they ususally break. Maybe they are right......
Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
aye mr mikey!

aye aye aye (3 eyed mexican?)

thats what you get for a 3.6 where it dont belong...

i guess you should swap the 3.2 for the 3.6 and have a super teener...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.