Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WIFI security...is your access locked down?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
click me....

If you don't care if your WIFI is locked down or not...at least change the password so that you can't be hacked.....

GEEZ.....I drove around my brother in laws house with my lap top and found 30 unsecured units in 5 minutes..... confused24.gif

Above is a link to the Linksys WRT54G which is the most popular in my 'hood....
SirAndy
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 25 2006, 08:04 PM) *

GEEZ.....I drove around my brother in laws house with my lap top and found 30 unsecured units in 5 minutes..... confused24.gif

yepp, if i were ever planning on doing something illegal on the web (which i'm not, of course), that's how i would do it.
hijack someone else's wireless, get one of their IPs through DHCP, then go out and hack the crap out of my target.
it all traces back to their wireless routers public IP and by the time the feds show up at their house, i'm long gone ...

again, this is hypothetically speaking ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
Joe Bob
EVERYONE had the defaults for the router passwords and I was able to access all the pages....not hard. I could have shut them ALL down....but I wasn't bored enuff....

the only way to get access after a benign hacker disables them is to push the reset button in the back of the unit...IF they know this.....betya they call tech support and "Habib" in New Delhi has no asnwer....., kinda like a drive by whack upside the head....safer than cow tipping.....bet ya they don't even know where the "Stoopid book" is.....
KaptKaos
If you have kids, you need to make sure that they are not using other peoples' WiFi. This is this an issue for you and your family and whatever guidelines you want to set for Internet use. If they can access the web without your knowledge, then any protections you put into place may be moot.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 25 2006, 08:14 PM) *

EVERYONE had the defaults for the router passwords and I was able to access all the pages....not hard. I could have shut them ALL down....but I wasn't bored enuff....

problem is, it's all plug & play ...

most people don't even *KNOW* that their router has a webpage that allows you to manage it's internal settings ... and that they all have the *SAME* default password. which is about as good as *NO* password ...

type.gif Andy
Joe Bob
RTFB

I locked down my niece's unit.....and the immediate bitch was that her friends couldn't use her ISP w/o having to use/enter the 128 bit encrypted password......

KILL ME NOW......
Mid_Engine_914
I don't think most people could find my wireless network 'cause I don't broadcast my SSID.
Allan
Ours is a secured wireless network. We do detect unsecured networks occasionally, especially with Linksys in the neighborhood but since we don't know who they are we can't notify them...

So secure your wireless network during the set-up and periodically change your pass word....
Dr Evil
I only reacently caught on and changed mine to secure encryption with password protection. Where I live it is very low tech and rural so not a huge threat, but when I was visiting over at my friends dorm on campus he showed me how many unsecure networks there were. I quickly learned.
smontanaro
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 25 2006, 10:21 PM) *

most people don't even *KNOW* that their router has a webpage that allows you to manage it's internal settings ... and that they all have the *SAME* default password. which is about as good as *NO* password ...

I just installed a new D-Link DI-624 a couple days ago. The default password is the empty string... sad.gif

Skip
ClayPerrine
I don't do WiFi at home... I really don't think its mature enough to be secure. Cat6 cable can't be hacked without getting into the house, and my house has plenty of jacks scattered through the house for internet access.

At work we have a 128bit encryption and a WEP key on the wireless. My next step is to go to smart cards and certificates to access the wireless.

Oh.. and my neighbor had his wireless wide open. I set it up to use MAC address filtering, and changed the default password. He hasn't noticed I did him the favor.

grantsfo
or you could move to Mountain View and not worry about your own personal WiFi network.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/08/fre...ntain-view.html
rick 918-S
Sounds like a possible summer job for some young savvy computer kid. Like mowing lawns only without all the sweat. You drive around surfing the neighborhoods looking for unsecure access. Thne knock, knock, knock. Hey lady can I fix your security problem? smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.