Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Went to the San Diego Autocross today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chris914
I went to the San Diego Autocross today. Its been a year of working on my car since I last went.

All of the improvements that I made really seemed to help.

21mm Torsions bars
New front A-arm bushings
Turbo tie rods
Bump steer kit
new ball joints
19mm brake cylinder
Lowering the car to 4 1/2"

The only thing is, the back end of the car comes loose really easy now. Took some getting use to.

Can I make improvements to that?

The car is a 1.7L with Bilstien sport shocks, 19mm adjustable front sway, 140lb springs in the back, and 195 50 15 Kumo Ecsta tires.

I thinking that sticker tires, softer sway bar setting, and/or 180lb springs in the back.

A link to my Spin Out video, Look under "Pictures and Movies"
http://www.cassidy-online.com/porsche914/
DanT
QUOTE(chris914 @ Nov 25 2006, 09:38 PM) *

I went to the San Diego Autocross today. Its been a year of working on my car since I last went.

All of the improvements that I made really seemed to help.

21mm Torsions bars
New front A-arm bushings
Turbo tie rods
Bump steer kit
new ball joints
19mm brake cylinder
Lowering the car to 4 1/2"

The only thing is, the back end of the car comes loose really easy now. Took some getting use to.

Can I make improvements to that?

The car is a 1.7L with Bilstien sport shocks, 19mm adjustable front sway, 140lb springs in the back, and 195 50 15 Kumo Ecsta tires.

I thinking that sticker tires, softer sway bar setting, and/or 180lb springs in the back.

A link to my Spin Out video, Look under "Pictures and Movies"
http://www.cassidy-online.com/porsche914/

If the rearend is loose you either need to stiffen the front or loosen the rear.

do you have a rear bar?

with the stiffer front end you should be pushing in corners with the softer rear springs.

Most folks run at least 180 rear springs with 21 mm front torsion bars.

How about your alignment? camber and toe settings?

what tires and pressures?
messix

stiffer rear springs will make you'r over steer worse.
put more sway bar on the front, or loosen up on the rear shocks.
Joe Ricard
Yes you said Bilstiens which I don't thinkare adjustable.
so stiffen the front bar. and those Kumhos suck. but that's a different story.
Joe Ricard
OK never mind your Steering nut is loose.

1st you could have had a re-run with the downed slalom cone.

2nd stand on the gas in the straight but before you get to the turn stand on the brake while still going in a straightline. Then off the brake and turn while on the gas. if it slides by the tail MORE GAS and steer the direction you want to go.
Here is a good example. of my car on street tires.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OhD_h9fahOs

This was a fun run so only 1 cone picker upper just drive around them. I got the sticky throtttle thing fixed too,
JPB
Nice run redneck. That sticky throttle thing was wild; kinda sounded like you put on the reverse thrusters like on a jet biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
How about this one.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MLSm7iC5KY4
chris914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 26 2006, 04:08 PM) *

Nice. I like that you left the video running afterwards too!

Thanks for all the good info.

Did you have any trouble getting that Gtech meter to work in your car? Mine just can't find the tach signal.

messix
you could play with the rear tire pressure too. up 2lbs at a time or down 2lbs.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(chris914 @ Nov 27 2006, 02:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 26 2006, 04:08 PM) *

Nice. I like that you left the video running afterwards too!

Thanks for all the good info.

Did you have any trouble getting that Gtech meter to work in your car? Mine just can't find the tach signal.

Gtech works really well no problem finding tach signal although no idea how it does that. Seems pretty accurate. I use a shift light on the left side of the gauge console to let me know when the rev limiter is coming. as you can see Hassan saw the BIG ORANGE LIGHT alot.
Yea video stop is something I am working on. it was FTD for the day so you can see and listen to our banter.
chris914
QUOTE(messix @ Nov 27 2006, 12:55 AM) *

I usally just set the front and back to 28psi cold. I have been going by the side wall wear of the tires. I need to try experimenting more. lol
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(chris914 @ Nov 27 2006, 02:54 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Nov 27 2006, 12:55 AM) *

I usally just set the front and back to 28psi cold. I have been going by the side wall wear of the tires. I need to try experimenting more. lol

Well, I am of the school of Street tires in the 195 or 205 size on Fuchs etc. should be pumped up to around 36 - 38 cold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.