Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn signal bucket refurb
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gary
So, knocked out another annoying "need to do" today. My front turn signals / running lights have been increasingly unreliable (you know what I mean). Those tabs in the sockets just get brittle with time. So...

I replaced the side markers with "Maxxima" 2 1/2" round LED markers off of ebay. I had tried to use clear lenses from Clauss Studios back when they were making clear lenses for the sides and taillights, but the sockets were still pretty brittle and I like the smaller diameter on these. I drilled some holes to match the three mounting holes in the fender, then JB welded some 10-32 nylon studs to mount them.

On the turnsignal buckets I easy-off'd the grunge from the outside and sanded the inside with some fine-grit paper. I cored out the sockets with a 1" hole saw and press fit a 7/8" inch brass bushing from the hardware store (plumbing coupler). Into this I fit a generic 1157 socket. Some chrome rustoleum to the inside shined things up nice. Crimped some new spade connectors, and assembled the whole works. I'm using the italian lenses with amber bulbs. Looks nice against the pearl paint. Eventually, I'd like to go amber LEDs in the buckets, but that'll be another day...
SGB
QUOTE(Gary @ Nov 26 2006, 12:09 AM) *

replaced the side markers with "Maxxima" 2 1/2" round LED markers off of ebay.

those look really good, give us another pic! Who was the ebay seller? Was it a straight "connect the +" or did you have to splice in a reistor? I like those...
messix
you gotta join us for a teener tuesday.
link in my sig.
Gary
QUOTE(SGB @ Nov 25 2006, 10:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Gary @ Nov 26 2006, 12:09 AM) *

replaced the side markers with "Maxxima" 2 1/2" round LED markers off of ebay.

those look really good, give us another pic! Who was the ebay seller? Was it a straight "connect the +" or did you have to splice in a reistor? I like those...

Do a search on "maxxima clear" and you'll find them. There's a set up now: here. Resistor is built in. You need to get the pigtail connectors too.

I'll try to get another picture today. It's raining pretty good right now. It's a bear to get the exposure right in the garage.
Gary
QUOTE(messix @ Nov 25 2006, 10:56 PM) *

you gotta join us for a teener tuesday.
link in my sig.

Will try. Plate's a little full right now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.