Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My speedo bounces between 0 and 32 MPH
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwalters
sad.gif For the last few weeks my speedo has been increasingly bouncing. First it was a minor wobble. Now it is a tantilizing swing until I reach 32 mph - and then it goes rock steady.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this for the short term?? confused24.gif

My odo is tits up and I will need to have the unit o/h sometime, just not now--
PRS914-6
Replace the cable.
SGB
Possibly just tighten cable on back of speedo, but if it is already tight then the cable is going... sad.gif

However, it isn't very hard to replace, just contortion mostly. (need pretzle smiley)
PRS914-6
One thing you could do that might buy you some time......Disconnect the speedo at the tranny, pull your speedo out of the dash and disconnect the cable. poke a hole through a ziplock sandwhich bag and insert the cable into the bag from the outside in.. Use rubber bands or tape to seal the bag to the cable. Pour a little oil in the bag and suspend. Go have a cup of coffee and when oil starts dripping out the transmission side you are done. Works best overnight. If the inner cable is not "too bad" this will work for awhile. If the inner cable is real bad, it will work for 5 minutes......
jwalters
biggrin.gif Thanks guys - I never gave the cable a thought - I will try and lube it up, err, down,,err you get the picture. unsure.gif
hannuz
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Nov 26 2006, 07:19 AM) *

One thing you could do that might buy you some time......Disconnect the speedo at the tranny, pull your speedo out of the dash and disconnect the cable. poke a hole through a ziplock sandwhich bag and insert the cable into the bag from the outside in.. Use rubber bands or tape to seal the bag to the cable. Pour a little oil in the bag and suspend. Go have a cup of coffee and when oil starts dripping out the transmission side you are done. Works best overnight. If the inner cable is not "too bad" this will work for awhile. If the inner cable is real bad, it will work for 5 minutes......

agree.gif

and while at it, it does not harm to also check the teeths of that thingy the cable is attached to at the tranny end. Sorry, dunno the english name. Point is, if wear is present, or teeth are gone (worse, replce it), the cable will also slip, albeit temporal. So at low speed the problem remains, whilst at higher speed the momentum will eventually stabilise the needle. Just thought to add this one (own experience).

Good luck,
Marc
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 26 2006, 05:26 AM) *

sad.gif For the last few weeks my speedo has been increasingly bouncing. First it was a minor wobble. Now it is a tantilizing swing until I reach 32 mph - and then it goes rock steady.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this for the short term?? confused24.gif

My odo is tits up and I will need to have the unit o/h sometime, just not now--

Cheapest solution is to just drive faster than 32... av-943.gif

Oh sorry. That is not that funny is it?
Hammy
Mine does pretty much the exact same thing. I remember it started right after I had pulled out my gauges, so it's probably not connected properly back there or bound up or something. Too lazy to fix, and because I rarely need my speedo for speeds under 30.
jwalters
<sigh> Well I disconnected it from the tranny and was able to pull the cable completely out of the sheath.

Cable is good condition - and still has lube on it from the last time I lubed it.

Pulled the drive - everything there is ok.

Only thing left is the speedo itself -

It really sucks because for a few reasons:

1 - there are only 6 other 914's in south florida that I know of.

2 - it gets ALLOT of looks and attention everywhere I go.

3 - when I have a date, and am showing off my Connoseure styling antique Porsche I rebuilt by hand, myself, and the damn speedo starts acting weird - well, it can be a humbling thing - you know?
GWN7
Just leave it disconnected. That way you have an excuse if you get pulled over for speeding. wink.gif
Elliot_Cannon
I was told by the folks at Hollywood Speedo that a bouncing needle is the result of a sticking cable. I just replaced my cable and the bouncing stopped. The needle moves really smooth now. Your problem might not be in the cable. It could be something in the cable housing. Change the whole thing and I bet the problem goes away. Not that hard to change. Good luck.

Cheers, Elliot
Dr Evil
I can help you with the odo/speedo after Dec 15th if you like. Let me know. What year is your speedo?
jwalters
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 26 2006, 09:33 PM) *

I can help you with the odo/speedo after Dec 15th if you like. Let me know. What year is your speedo?

Thanks dude - year model????? Ughhhhhh - "non-silver-dot" if that helps at all....
Dr Evil
Yup, non silver dot, 150mph, plastic lens = late model. I may have one that I can get all purtied up for ya. You would have to tell me the miles you want the odo set to.
jwalters
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 26 2006, 10:36 PM) *

You would have to tell me the miles you want the odo set to.

Heheheheharharhar - man, I have no less than three decrepit speedos and non-of the odo work! One with the needle laying in the glass, another that looks like a lump of rust, and the one presently in my car. I can only guess to the mileage I have on it since rebuilding the car - hmm - 3600 maybe? Screw it, set it to "0"

How much you want for it??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.