Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A/X today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
URY914
And the BMW guys won......again. mad.gif

We took the best times of six runs and averaged them. BWM's were just over 39 seconds and we were just over 40. My best was a 34.539. I was third overall behind Danny's Boxter at 34.292 and a Lotus 7 copy with a 3.4 liter V6 Chevy with a 34.436.
The weather was PERFECT!

Here I am in action. This pic has been reduced, the original one is 1288 KB!!! Talk about wallpaper.
Aaron Cox
nessie laid down some smack!
URY914
I need a rear wing. biggrin.gif
Maybe....

Mike T
Looks like you closed the gap on the Stalker from the State Championships. Was it the same car?

Did you make any changes to your car?

Mike T
Joe Ricard
I agree with the wing thing. XP allows a 5 foot wide 3 foot long wing.
If'n I had your Horse power I definately would go that route. With a splitter that makes Trekkor's look like a scooter toy.
URY914
QUOTE(Mike T @ Nov 27 2006, 09:00 AM) *

Looks like you closed the gap on the Stalker from the State Championships. Was it the same car?

Did you make any changes to your car?

Mike T

It was the same car/driver. Yesterday's course was 1/3 the length of what the Championship course was. I was a little surprised I could get that close to his time and I didn't change a thing to the car.
URY914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 27 2006, 09:34 AM) *

I agree with the wing thing. XP allows a 5 foot wide 3 foot long wing.
If'n I had your Horse power I definately would go that route. With a splitter that makes Trekkor's look like a scooter toy.

I think I'm going to make a wing. 60" x 12" with end plates.
It'll be my winter project.
Rough_Rider
A little inspiration perhaps.
Joe Ricard
XP rules currently say I can have up to 15 sq ft of rear wing. However I am going to need more HP to overcome the drag.

Wonder is Jake will rent me an engine for Nationals.
Aaron Cox
pikes peak... scary....
Rough_Rider
However I am going to need more HP to overcome the drag.

I hear this a lot so have been researching car aerodynamics, the short answer is in most low drag road car body profiles positive lift is generated. The analogy is look at a car in profile & superimpose an aircraft wing profile. Easy to see in the case of a 911.

Using spoilers & wings aids in generating negative lift, which allows us to go faster through turns then consequently go faster down straights etc. Its a compound equation from then on.

Thus creating drag is not always a bad thing.

An F1 car creates so much drag that before the brakes are put on the car decelerates at >1g. BTW i know they've 900hp, unlimited budgets & 200mph on their side.

But I'm working the math on 14's based on more modest 20-50mph road speeds. Stay tuned blink.gif
Joe Ricard
Anyone notice the abundance of wings at Nationals this year? Heck even the class winning STS car had a freaking wing.

Yet the XP winner was a 70 911 with duck tail.
Que in the "I'm still kicking myself for not going this year".
914forme
Yes it was the year of the wing!

Home Depot here I come. If I run a big enough wing I might be able to keep my rear from lifiting in turn. av-943.gif

That has been fixed btw, with various methods, 2 prevent it, one says bring it I am now prepared. burnout.gif

BTW, Good Job Paul did the Stalker have to run X class or did the BMW guys take him cause he used a BMW shift knob. confused24.gif biggrin.gif Or did he just wear the tee shirt and matching thong underwear barf.gif
URY914
If you do a Google search for wings you get a million ricer bolt-on suppliers. I found these on line from a company named Pennon. There website even has cross section drawings. happy11.gif

Mike T
QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 27 2006, 10:41 AM) *

I think I'm going to make a wing. 60" x 12" with end plates.
It'll be my winter project.

popcorn[1].gif

E-Mod = no wings... sad.gif

Mike T
URY914
biggrin.gif
URY914
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
A-mod..... Oh yea baby!
Paul those wings for ricers are WAY not big enough to have any effect at Autocross cornering speeds.
Aaron Cox
look at sheridans wing at ultimate914.com

dont you need something over the roofline? (not applicable to paul's car LOL)
URY914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 27 2006, 04:24 PM) *

A-mod..... Oh yea baby!
Paul those wings for ricers are WAY not big enough to have any effect at Autocross cornering speeds.

I agree, the ricer wings are too small. I'm thinking some thing like this but maybe with a bi-wing.
URY914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 27 2006, 05:15 PM) *

look at sheridans wing at ultimate914.com

dont you need something over the roofline? (not applicable to paul's car LOL)

It will be mounted about at the roll bar height or just above.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.