Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Illuminating accessory gauges.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
What's the best way to illuminate a couple of aftermarket VDO accessory gauges that I'll be installing this week? sawzall-smiley.gif

Doug C
ruddyboys
doesn't the guages have power and ground connections for illumination? If they do you can tap into a black with blue stripe wire that are used for the regular guage illumination power and brown for ground.
Literati914
Well, I haven't received the gauges yet (should get them this afternoon or tomorrow) but other 2(&)1/16 VDO gauges I've seen just have a hole in the back for plugging in a bulb holder like the original stock gauges use. So, can I just find a stock bulb and wire (blk/blu) and continue it on to other gauges?

Doug C
Joe Ricard
I have too many gauges to continue sucking power off the factory rheostate.
I installed another circuit and fuse block to run other stuff too. but I got a Rheostate large enough to handle 5 extra gauges no problem without cutting into any factory wiring.
Literati914
That sounds great but I wish I was more electrically savy. Can you buy these "rheostates" (never heard that term) at the local FLAPS? Do you just run it from the + battery teminal? Sorry for the DA questions.

Doug C
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Dougster @ Nov 27 2006, 04:38 PM) *

That sounds great but I wish I was more electrically savy. Can you buy these "rheostates" (never heard that term) at the local FLAPS? Do you just run it from the + battery teminal? Sorry for the DA questions.

Doug C

Flaps rheostate or "dimmer switch" needs to be much bigger than the itty bitty things you get ffrom the FLAPS. go a electronic store. the guy behind the counter can add up your watts and get you the right size. Been 2 plus years for mine and I don't remember the size but it is pretty big .50 cent piece diameter and 1/4" thick.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.