Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head Temperatures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BenNC
I know that it has been posted before, but I can't find it.

What are typical cylinder head temperatures when measured using an under the plug type of sender?

Thanks,
cha914
I think 350 is about normal if I remember correctly...

Tony
Jake Raby
325-365 is great......up to 400 climbing hills. Not over 425.
Rusty
400 is cure temp for powder coating. That's gotta be hard on refinished cooling tin.
BenNC
Hmmm, I'm getting just a tick over 400 when I run at 70 (3200 - 3300) for 20-30 minutes. Drops back below 400 when speed drops.
Jake Raby
The engine is out of tune.......Timing is high or you are running lean.

My 180BHP 2316 won't go over 375 with stock cooling.
BenNC
Thanks Jake,

After I check the timing, if it is OK or if the temps stay high after correcting how do I determine if I'm running lean?

BTW: If you're just answering to throw out the phrase "180BHP 2316," then do it again. It sort of makes me feel warm all over. smile.gif
Jake Raby
LOL.
I was just answering that by saying I'm making 45 HP per cylinder and running cooler than that with a stock cooling system.......
redshift
If you are lean, the engine may hunt at idle (FI? Carbs?) also, you would notice your head temps above normal..

Too much advance.

I run a gear lower than you do at the same speed... I am betting you are over-advanced, if you leave it in 4th, what's the temps? Cooler?

-edit

Ben, have you checked that all of your fins, and the fan, and the tin aren't fouled by leaves or pooh of any kind?

M
Jake Raby
I don't use 5th till 80MPH..... 5th gear kills cylinder heads! not enough cooling fan/engine RPM and too much load for a stock engine!
Mueller
I don't use 5th till 80MPH..... 5th gear kills cylinder heads! not enough cooling fan/engine RPM and too much load for a stock engine!

very interesting.....any idea on how much HP is needed at certain MPH in the 914 or bugs??

also, when someone purchases an engine from you (lets say a stocker) do you give them the above advise on the use of 5th gear or about keeping the revs up to increase cooling?
redshift
Yes.

Although I have been a wallet mechanic for all these years, I do know these things like to be driven hard.

A motor lasts longer way @ 4000 than it does at 3000, and it's 100% more fun. (and with injection *JAKE* you can do it 3 times as long between gas pumps... laugh.gif )

Keep up with traffic, it's not a sin!

M
Jake Raby
Over the weekend I went 12 hours one way on 1/2 tank of fuel! With carbs, thats 38MPG at 85MPH.
redshift
Yeah, HigHwAy Star...

Try that on 2 gear streets! HAH!

smile.gif

M
TheCabinetmaker
Uh, Jake. 12 hours @ 85mph is 1020 miles. That's more like 127 mpg on a stock tank. How big is your fuel tank?
Jake Raby
I wasn't driving the entire time! LOL
Half the time I was busy blasting by a 64 Ghia and letting him catch up....
TheCabinetmaker
Ok, I thought you might have stopped at a rest stop for a 9 hour nap laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.