Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powdercoated rear hubs/flanges?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I am doing some work on Felix's (neo914-6) rear trailing arms, they are freshly powdercoated and look nice...however, my concern is the powdercoating on the rear hubs.

In the picture you can see a lip due to the coating....when measured using a flat edge, I can get a .0025" feeler gauge under the flat edge in varied areas of the hub.

Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
never paint or coat any machined surfaces.... like where the wheel mounts...

sand it off?
dimitri
Thats barely more than one hairstrand. So whats the problem? Dimitri
So.Cal.914
If it is thicker on one side than the other the wheel will not ride true. Not so

important at slow speeds but.....
John
Hey.

What hubs are those and do they fit inside a 914 rear wheel bearing?

McMark
Ask Felix first, of course, but I vote chuck them up in the lathe and take off the P/C on the mount surface.
davep
agree.gif
Plated parts are fine, but painted parts in that area are a bad idea.
Hubs have to be absolutely flat and true. I spend a lot of time cleaning the hubs before mounting a brake rotor. Even a tiny bit of dirt is bad news there. You have to treat them like cylinder walls, CV joints and bearing races.
Matt Romanowski
.0025" is not a problem. Think about it, what are standard maching tolerances? Read a current car manual and look at what is acceptable runout. Put it together and don't worry.
Gint
A 2" or 3" scotch brite disc in a die grinder will take the powder coat off pretty easily.
BTDT
It will be a hassle getting around those studs though.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Nov 27 2006, 12:22 AM) *

Hey.

What hubs are those and do they fit inside a 914 rear wheel bearing?

I was wondering the same thing. I thought the early flanges that fit were not hub-centric???

Mike, just knock the studs out of it and run a flat file across the face it until its level. Should be fine.....If you are worried, you can tape it off and use paint remover on the face. It will take it right off.
Cap'n Krusty
Bottom line is you're gonna have to remove the paint, and do it in a manner that ensures the wheel will run true. The Cap'n
StratPlayer
Jasco will remove powdercoating. Let it sit for a while and remove the powedercoating with a putty knife.
Brett W
They are 944 hubs.

You probably should clean it off but I bet the rotors are off by at least that much if not more.
John
QUOTE(Brett W @ Nov 27 2006, 10:05 AM) *

They are 944 hubs.

Which 944 rear hubs? Any year?

Do they work with 911 inner stub axles?
John
By the way, I would agree with getting rid of the powder coating from the flange area.
Aaron Cox
944 hubs fit 944 stubs....

and 944 stubs fit early 911 hubs....

so thus 944 hubs are same spline as early 911 hubs....
John
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 27 2006, 10:41 AM) *

Thus from all that, I am assuming that 911 stubs fit 944 hubs.......

Are all 944 rear hubs the same?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Nov 27 2006, 10:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 27 2006, 10:41 AM) *

Thus from all that, I am assuming that 911 stubs fit 944 hubs.......

Are all 944 rear hubs the same?

yes...

but negative on the stubs and hubs being the same throughout all the years....

i think the stub axles you want are post 86..... or turbo models...
no ideas on the hubs.....

AA
John
It's the HUBS I'm interested in. Early 911 parts are apparently so rare that the Post Office opens boxes and rips them off, and I am interested in the hub centric style of hubs.

I use 911 stub axles and CV Joints with modified 914-6 axle shafts.
Aaron Cox
im guessing that since the STUBS that people want are from 86 + and turbo models... that the HUBS you want come from them too
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.