Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How NOT to install rear bushings.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Mueller
While working on Felix's (neo914-6) rear trailing arms to replace the newly installed hard plastic axle bushings I noticed a few things:

Axles sit inboard of plastic bushings by about .005" per side....problem with this is that the plastic will not compress enough to let the axle mate with the chassis of the car.....the axles need to stick out past the plastic bushing a few thou....

I made a fixture to measure the breakaway torque required to move the trailing arm up or down....45 FT LBS of force to move up or down...and guess what??

The axle was not rotating, it was the plastic bushings rotating inside the trailing arm...not a good thing.

Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 26 2006, 11:55 PM) *

While working on Felix's (neo914-6) rear trailing arms to replace the newly installed hard plastic axle bushings I noticed a few things:

Axles sit inboard of plastic bushings by about .005" per side....problem with this is that the plastic will not compress enough to let the axle mate with the chassis of the car.....the axles need to stick out past the plastic bushing a few thou....

I made a fixture to measure the breakaway torque required to move the trailing arm up or down....45 FT LBS of force to move up or down...and guess what??

The axle was not rotating, it was the plastic bushings rotating inside the trailing arm...not a good thing.

Mike don't ya know them bushings require some fitting?
Mueller
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 27 2006, 02:07 PM) *

Mike don't ya know them bushings require some fitting?

yes, "I" know that...the installer of the bushings didn't know or perhaps forgot or ???
Brad Roberts
I hope you are not just figuring this out?? lol

We discussed this ad naseum prior to roller bearings.

This is the EXACT reason why people find their tubs ovaled on the inside hole over time. The serations on the axle do not engage the ear properly unless you shave them down prior to install

Found all my pics.. I can show you now.. AND THE ARROWS ARE BACK!!!

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.