Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have experience shipping a car overseas?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
I need to get a shipping quote to send the Bumblebee to England. I have a buyer there and he has agreed on a price but neither of us knows how to get the car from here to there... I think a few of you guys have mentioned sending cars out of the country. Care to share what you have learned?
Aaron Cox
redbull gives your car wings smile.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 27 2006, 08:18 AM) *

redbull gives your car wings smile.gif

Geez Aaron! You must be on break from school or something... dry.gif
Porsche Rescue
Start here: http://calship.com/

I sent a car to Austria (via Bremerhaven) using them. However, the buyer made the arrangements.

Also, you might email Mick Pacey at Export56.com (UK dealer in vintage Porsches. See his website and look at the yellow six he has for sale, but don't convert pounds to dollars while standing up. You will know why it is worth shipping to the UK). He made the arrangements to ship the car from Portland to London. Maybe he can recommend a carrier.
Cap'n Krusty
There are companies that do this kinda thing. I shipped a 914 to Norway a few months back. The buyer handled the arrangements. The company he used is in Stanton.

http://www.calship.com/

They made it easy, at least on my end. I dropped it off there and that was it. There were over a hundred vehicles there awaiting shipment. The guys with whom I'm in contact in Scandanavia and Europe use them all the time. The Cap'n
ConeDodger
Thanks guys... Two buyers now fighting it out... One in Canada one in England. I do know that the pound is kicking our tail... Kind of makes buying cars here like taking candy from a baby I suppose.
Rob
Porsche Rescue
How about an asking price of 33,000 pounds ($63,800) for the six I sent there last summer (Eric Shea's Ida)? That makes the BB Racer a $42,000 car over there.
Gustl
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Nov 27 2006, 07:20 PM) *

How about an asking price of 33,000 pounds ($63,800) for the six I sent there last summer (Eric Shea's Ida)? That makes the BB Racer a $42,000 car over there.

914.0.43.2233 blink.gif
Porsche Rescue
That's it. Is that a reasonable asking price Wolfgang?
Gustl
this price is ridiculous, IMHO screwy.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
Randal
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Nov 27 2006, 10:20 AM) *

The pound has just appeciated against the dollar. Buying a great car with pounds just got cheaper.

January of this year 1.00 pound would buy 1.73 dollars. Now a pound buys $1.93 dollars. mad.gif

Better than interest in a bank.

Anothe way to look at it, your UK buyer just got a 11.5% discount over your asking price.
Porsche Rescue
I sold a 911 on Ebay a year ago to a bidder from Austria. He only paid $1500 to ship it by truck from Portland, OR to LA and then in a container to Bremerhaven. At that time it cost $1800 to ship a car in an enlcosed trailer from NY to OR. Easy to see why it is worth the cost to ship nice cars to Europe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.