Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Check out this 911 engine a/x mod car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
URY914
Built by a shop in Mass.
Anyone in the NE ever seen it run?

nebreitling
i love it. raise it a half inch and that would be a ripping hillclimb car.
914forme
We have one around here also!
914forme
What is the point with the offset drivers seat? confused24.gif
Randal
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Nov 27 2006, 06:31 PM) *

Wonder where we can buy one of those? happy11.gif
anthony
The driver looks rather exposed. Wouldn't you want the roll cage over your head so if the car flips your head doesn't get rolled on?

URY914
I think they both need about 2x the tire. Looks skinny to me.
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 27 2006, 07:05 PM) *

I think they both need about 2x the tire. Looks skinny to me.

Right, I'd say 12" slicks all around ought to work.

Got any more information on who built it Paul?
URY914
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 27 2006, 07:22 PM) *

[q

Got any more information on who built it Paul?

http://www.smallfortuneracing.com/

I found the pics on this site so I'm guessing they built it.
Brett W
The offset seat may be a by product of some sort of sports racer class rule. I wouldn't use a Porsche engine in a sports racer though. Too heavy and two inefficient.
Mike T
It could also be a scratch built autocross car for B-Modified. Might qualify as an old ASR or slap a dune buggy or kit car body on it and run in B-mod. Heck if that was a 2.0 liter 911 engine it could run as a modified tub D-mod car. Only have to weigh approx. 1400lbs with driver.

This car has been Dmod national champ for a few years running. Take the body off and it looks a lot like that 911 powered car.

Click to view attachment
Rough_Rider
I'd wager its not an AX machine rather a track preped open cockpit prototype. Something like a mini Datoyna Prototype or ferrari 333sp.

The rear wing is not aggressively angled enough for low speed aero. Plus the front has no wing to balance the chassis. However if a body it'd act like a wing.
Finally why have a flat undertray to manage the underbody air if your goning to leave the top all aero obstructed.

URY914
QUOTE(Rough_Rider @ Nov 28 2006, 11:15 AM) *

I'd wager its not an AX machine rather a track preped open cockpit prototype. Something like a mini Datoyna Prototype or ferrari 333sp.

The rear wing is not aggressively angled enough for low speed aero. Plus the front has no wing to balance the chassis. However if a body it'd act like a wing.
Finally why have a flat undertray to manage the underbody air if your goning to leave the top all aero obstructed.

I think they took pictures of it without the body to show what they can do. There is no way they run it with out body work.
Mike T
I think you probably nailed it Rough Rider. It was wishful thinking on my part calling it a DMod/EMod car.

Mike T
Mike T
This is the chassis of the yellow car 4 posts up. Also built by these same guys.
race914
I want this one!

IPB Image

962 replica
URY914
I could build one of those, easy. I got an awsome set of tools. biggrin.gif
Brett W
I agree, you would have the baddest street car in town. 200mph with out too much trouble. You could beat the bikes with the right power levels. Unfortunately there is not much interest in the Asports racer class.
Randal
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Nov 27 2006, 06:31 PM) *

I talked to the owner of the shop and you can get one for less that I thought, but still an investment as always. Tempting happy11.gif

Bill and I were talking about the "Beast" yesterday. Now at about 1800-1900lbs (maybe less), with a 3.6, headers, a chip and big slicks, it would also be a great hill climb car.

Also a very good AutoX car. smile.gif

JPB
QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 27 2006, 09:34 PM) *

Looks like they need to spend alot more time in a wind tunnel for this winged beast to work. av-943.gif
nebreitling
QUOTE(JPB @ Nov 30 2006, 04:22 PM) *

Looks like they need to spend alot more time in a wind tunnel for this winged beast to work. av-943.gif

i assure you that their setup is effective for it's purpose. it would probably bein a stall above 70 mph, though.
Randal
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Nov 30 2006, 04:44 PM) *

QUOTE(JPB @ Nov 30 2006, 04:22 PM) *

i assure you that their setup is effective for it's purpose. it would probably bein a stall above 70 mph, though.

How do you test front/back wings for autoxing?
J P Stein
Here's a bit more info on A Mods in general.
Where do you test a wing?????

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=317278
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 1 2006, 04:58 PM) *

We could all probably do better with front / rear wings, assuming the rules allowed them, but how do you ever figure out a base line as to whether it works or not? I mean this is real engineering..

Sure I could run down to NASA and ask if I can borrow their wind tunnel, but I doubt I could get it for what I can afford.

So how do you do this following some sort of scientific approach?

Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 1 2006, 05:06 PM) *

We could all probably do better with front / rear wings, assuming the rules allowed them, but how do you ever figure out a base line as to whether it works or not? I mean this is real engineering..

Sure I could run down to NASA and ask if I can borrow their wind tunnel, but I doubt I could get it for what I can afford.

And by the way I'm talking about serious wings like on those A modified cars, both front and rear.
J P Stein

Load cells at each corner & run the car up to 60....on a calm day ....on a smooth stretch biggrin.gif
First the wingless configuration for a baseline, then rig it up and go for it.

I doubt that Boeing would loan me the big tunnel ...or 4 load cells, for that matter.
It's a moot point anyhow...for me at least. I can't run one in E Mod. 5 square feet in X Prepared ain't worth spit....I figure.....even if the rest of the car was legal there. PCA *seems* to be wide open here....I'd really have to dig thru the PCRs
to verify that.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 1 2006, 05:24 PM) *

Load cells at each corner & run the car up to 60....on a calm day ....on a smooth stretch biggrin.gif

I doubt that Boeing would loan me the big tunnel ...or 4 load cells, for that matter.
It's a moot point anyhow...for me at least. I can't run one in E Mod. 5 square feet in X Prepared ain't worth spit....I figure.....even if the rest of the car was legal there. PCA *seems* to be wide open here....I'd really have to dig thru the PCRs
to verify that.

I gave up on the classes awhile ago JP. Right now I'm classified at AX2, but if I go to AX1 no problem.

I don't think there is any restrictions on wings in the new rules, but I'll go look again.

Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 1 2006, 05:29 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 1 2006, 05:24 PM) *

to verify that.

I gave up on the classes awhile ago JP. Right now I'm classified at AX2, but if I go to AX1 no problem.

I don't think there is any restrictions on wings in the new rules, but I'll go look again.

Here is a link to our rules.

http://comp.pca-ggr.org/rulcomm_cs/web/mods_list.php

Looks like you could have a pretty big wing on the back. It doesn't address front wings, so maybe we could hang a big one on there?

Andrew B. will know as he was one of the charter writers.

URY914
Testing? WTF? If it looks cool and people talk about it, it works! Just like my air scoop.

I think I could use it. High speed oversteer is what I got. The last two times I spun I was hauling ass. sad.gif
J P Stein
Looks to me like add 40 points & it's katie bar the door. biggrin.gif
At the SCCA Nationals, the top A Mods wax the field by 4 sec..give or take..per run!
Wings the things...

URY914
J P,

Did you read that story on PP about slow speed wings on A-mods? He said a "thick" wing in cross section is what you need to have an effective slow speed wing. Something like 2.5"to 3" at its thickest point if it was say 12" wide. idea.gif

"In regards to wing design for autox. The problem is finding a profile that is efficient for low-speed applications. Most of the profiles out there for airplanes and race cars are all designed for higher speed. For low speed applications, you need a "thick" body relative to the wing's cord (measurement from leading edge to trailing edge). The goal is to find a profile that approaches 20% in that ratio. For amaturers like us, it's almost impossible to develope our own profile."

914forme
And you guys thought I was crazy for thinkin' the Sprint Car wings would work.

Okay so when will we See Trek Post about his 4'x8' wing he built av-943.gif
nebreitling

How do you test front/back wings for autoxing?

take them off, and see if you go faster or slower!

seriously, though, FSAE has done some significant work in this area. likewise, i've seen data aquistition on the web that shows those cars doing .4 lateral g's more with the wings than without. the question is, of course, is: given the added weight/higher cg/etc., does this result in a faster net time? one would think that the Amod guys have already answered this.

low speed aero is real, it's just a question of whether or not it would be a net benefit given the car and the layout of the track.
nebreitling
http://www.napylon.com/Phantom.htm
URY914
QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 1 2006, 07:39 PM) *

And you guys thought I was crazy for thinkin' the Sprint Car wings would work.

Okay so when will we See Trek Post about his 4'x8' wing he built av-943.gif

Actually mine will have some wood in it.

914forme
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 2 2006, 07:08 AM) *

Actually mine will have some wood in it.

that is the old school way of doing it Paul.

What are you driving a 914 or a Morgan?? biggrin.gif I can understand that it might be easier to build an airfoil out of wood, but You could build them almost as easily out of Al, or sheet metal, via a hardwood buck and harmerforming. I have a been trained in the ways of a master carpenter since I was a wee lad. ( I am the first generation not to be in the building trade.) So I understand the ease of making something out of wood. Problem with wood is you never get the same constancy in the wood as you would with a wood laminate, or just go the correct way and make the frame out of Al. With Al. you spread your frame cords out father, and the reduction in numbers means reduced weight. The entire package can be reduced except you must take into account the load you have created into the structure. Why am I talking to you about reducing weight confused24.gif Your the king of car weight loss. pray.gif smile.gif
URY914
I would use wood for the inner ribs and an aluminum tube(s) to hold them together. Something like these guys did, see link. But they have those nice milled aluminum ribs. I also need to fab in some mounting hardware. Maybe skin the whole thing in VERY thin wood veener and than cover with FG or CF cloth. Add some CF end plates and I'm done.

http://bleex.me.berkeley.edu/ME102/proj_ar...nstruction.html
maf914
Just do the surfboard thing, foam core covered with FG with a few internal braces/attachment members for mounting. No need to get out Norm's classic wood working tools or enlisting her majesty's panel beaters. laugh.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(maf914 @ Dec 2 2006, 07:51 AM) *

Just do the surfboard thing, foam core covered with FG with a few internal braces/attachment members for mounting. No need to get out Norm's classic wood working tools or enlisting her majesty's panel beaters. laugh.gif

agree.gif

You'll notice that most of these wings are multi-element jobbies.
The big slabs on WOO cars are effective, but they have 800 hp to over come the drag.....hp to burn. The foam core would allow one to make several of the same airfoils then stack them up to your hearts content.....a guy could fuck around with AOA & elements for years.....or just call Ferrari & have them make you a few.... biggrin.gif
URY914
Who said I wasn't going multi-level? happy11.gif

I've already been laying it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.