Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Raby 9550 cam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tradisrad
I have been reading a lot about the Raby 9550 cam. I went to Jake Raby's web site to look into odering this cam and lifter set. I could not find a link straight to this cam, I did find the cam ordering section but filling out the info for the "cam doctor" seemed to be a little more than I should have to do to buy the 9550 cam.
Jake, is there an easy way to purchase this cam from you. Also, do you currently have them in stock (my engine is at the builders right now and I am looking for a fast shipment).
Anyones advice is helpful
Thanks in advance,
-Rob
G e o r g e
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Nov 27 2006, 06:21 PM) *

I have been reading a lot about the Raby 9550 cam. I went to Jake Raby's web site to look into odering this cam and lifter set. I could not find a link straight to this cam, I did find the cam ordering section but filling out the info for the "cam doctor" seemed to be a little more than I should have to do to buy the 9550 cam.
Jake, is there an easy way to purchase this cam from you. Also, do you currently have them in stock (my engine is at the builders right now and I am looking for a fast shipment).
Anyones advice is helpful
Thanks in advance,
-Rob

The Cam Doctor is Jake's way of insuring you purchase the best Cam for your Combo

go to his Forums and Ask this in the type 4 store Room forums beerchug.gif
Jake Raby
They are in stock.. If you want top pay next day shipping we can get it there overnight
Purchase the cam from the link
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/p...=265&page=1

After purchasing go straight to this link and FILL IT OUT COMPLETELY
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/cams.htm

I'll promptly ensure the 9550 is good for your application, or will make an alternate choice based on the info derived from the cam Dr. form..

The 9550 is a great choice for most people with stock FI, but some combos require a different centerline on the cam and thats why it's always important to give me ALL the info in the Cam Dr!

tradisrad
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 27 2006, 06:50 PM) *

They are in stock.. If you want top pay next day shipping we can get it there overnight
Purchase the cam from the link
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/p...=265&page=1

After purchasing go straight to this link and FILL IT OUT COMPLETELY
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/cams.htm

I'll promptly ensure the 9550 is good for your application, or will make an alternate choice based on the info derived from the cam Dr. form..

The 9550 is a great choice for most people with stock FI, but some combos require a different centerline on the cam and thats why it's always important to give me ALL the info in the Cam Dr!

Thanks Jake, part of filling out the cam Dr page is that I just dont have most of the info I need. Its for a 914, I have a 2.0 with stock crank shaft 71 mm of stroke, stock rods, 96mm pistons and stock 2.0 D-jet, the heads are also stock, is there any more info you need besides this for the cam Dr page? I suppose I should also bounce this idea off of my engine builder.
davep
What Jake did not say is that he has about 45 cams to choose from, and only he can make an informed choice when given the full details of your engine. You also need the cam gear and a set of lifters to match the cam. If you listen to the radio show on valve train, then you would learn a lot more. This is route I am taking also. I want to do it right and I want to do it once.
nebreitling
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 27 2006, 06:40 PM) *

CB performance is in CA. They might be able to help if you cant get the Jake cam in time.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=69

actually, in my experience, stay the hell away from CB. their shit is cheap and their service is horrible.
Jake Raby

[/quote]
Thanks Jake, part of filling out the cam Dr page is that I just dont have most of the info I need. Its for a 914, I have a 2.0 with stock crank shaft 71 mm of stroke, stock rods, 96mm pistons and stock 2.0 D-jet, the heads are also stock, is there any more info you need besides this for the cam Dr page? I suppose I should also bounce this idea off of my engine builder.
[/quote]

I need all the info on the cam Dr. page.. I do have 45 cams to choose from and unless you have stock FI probably 15 of these will work for you, but only a couple will work really well.

The Type 4 is very depandant upon cam selection- I would not go through all these procedures to ensure the customer gets the right cam if it wasn't..

Don't cut a corner here!
tradisrad
I am not looking to cut a corner, I will get all the info and place an order tomorrow. I want to do it right, but I just dont know enough.
I will also listen to your archived radio shows, I put a few on disk and will listen at work in the AM..
Thank
-Rob
McMark
Rob, some of the info you need can probably be found at another one of the most valuable sites on the net: http://www.tunacan.net/t4/
tradisrad
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 27 2006, 07:52 PM) *

What Jake did not say is that he has about 45 cams to choose from, and only he can make an informed choice when given the full details of your engine. You also need the cam gear and a set of lifters to match the cam. If you listen to the radio show on valve train, then you would learn a lot more. This is route I am taking also. I want to do it right and I want to do it once.

Jake, Will I also need to purchase a cam gear with the cam/lifter set?
-Rob
Jake Raby
Yes.
tradisrad
I will take the cam Dr page to my engine builder this afternoon and go over it with him, I will then place an order. I am in CA so you probably wont get my order until after you close.
Thanks
Rob
Jake Raby
OK, no problem... We can get it out early AM tomorrow if need be..

I will warn you that we just sold the last of our cam gears and are awaiting the next shipment, but I may be able to get one drop shipped to you from the Mfr of those if you can't find one locally.
tradisrad
Do I need a special cam gear to go with the cam shaft? IS the stock one ok to use?
I just listened to some of your radio shows and am thinking that I should go to the type 1 oil pump, is this the case where I need to change the cam gear from stock? I believe that I can find the cam gear locally.
I am leaving work now and will head by the shop to chew on the builders ear..
Thanks
-Rob
Bleyseng
If going to a type1 oil pump be sure to get a cam gear "clearanced" for the cam bolts or they "might" hit the camgear.
Money ahead ordering all the right parts from Jake instead of here and there suppliers. biggrin.gif
tradisrad
looking through Jakes site at the oil pumps, do I want to order the Full Flow RAT 30mm P/N 5020 (what does RAT stand for?), I need the cover also P/N 5032 and cam gear P/N 8312, is this correct? Jake?
I am still waiting to hear from my Builder, he was out of hte shop when I went by. I may just order and let hime know waht is going on after the fact.
-Rob
Jake Raby
If the engine is pretty much stock I'd recommend the 26mm non full flow oil pump and the modified cam gear for it- both of which we sell..

BUT I am out of those gears for at least a week since UPS lost the shipment coming to me, and when they do get here they have 2 processes and QA to pass before being put on the shelves..

Stay away from the stock cam gears, most are magnesium and are weak...
SGB
rat= Raby's Aircooled Technology.

You folks don't mind if I watch and learn, do you? smile.gif
tradisrad
Jake, Any P/N's for me for easy ordering.
I am off to class, I'll place my order when I return. (I am 35 yrs old and decided I need a B.S. degree and its killing me).
-Rob
Jake Raby
I'm at home now and don't have those numbers memorized :-(

DSL is broken and this dial up is killing me!
tradisrad
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 28 2006, 06:11 PM) *

I'm at home now and don't have those numbers memorized :-(

DSL is broken and this dial up is killing me!

thanks Jake,
With the cam gear on backorder and not having talked to my builder, I am no longer in the huge rush for a fast shipment (it wont do me any good to have the cam and no gear) I did not place my order last night (the wife was more tempting). I will order from you this afternoon.
Also listening to your show it seems that stainless steel valves, new springs and new retainers are the way to go. Any more info on this? I'll look over your web site a bit later in the day to see what you offer.
Thanks again,
-Rob
Jake Raby
We offer complete valve train upgrade kits in 3 different levels, one of them even includes the cam and lifters as well as ALL our H/D valvetrain components....
tradisrad
Jake, after talking to my builder we decided that the cam and lifter set is sufficent for my set up. I placed an order for the cam/lifter set.
I did not see any shipping added to my bill, do they come later?
I look forward to hearing from you and recieving the 9550 cam.
Thanks for all of your time, I also appreciate your radio shows.
Keep up the good work,
-Rob
Jake Raby
Cool. I saw the order..
The shipping is added after the order, the shipping calculater in our software sucked so I disabled it :-)
tradisrad
Jake, will the cam and lifters ship soon?
Thanks
-Rob
Jake Raby
What was he order #? They may have already left.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.