Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Randal B's Original Ride!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
Brad Roberts
Finally located ALL of my old pictures (all digital pics = 7k+ since 1998) I had backed them up to a hardrive that was sitting and collecting dust!! Moved them to another server and backed up most of them onto DVD.

Enjoy!!

Randals car currently looks "nothing" like this..LOL

B
Randal
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 27 2006, 06:35 PM) *

Finally located ALL of my old pictures (all digital pics = 7k+ since 1998) I had backed them up to a hardrive that was sitting and collecting dust!! Moved them to another server and backed up most of them onto DVD.

Enjoy!!

Randals car currently looks "nothing" like this..LOL

B

Such a pretty car wub.gif

But then the dark side........
nebreitling
Randal has a car? what?

I just thought he had an engine... biggrin.gif burnout.gif
nine14cats
I wish I had joined racing when the BP cars were out in force. It would have been fun running with everyone. burnout.gif Randal's car always looked great. Wait till you see the new iteration..... happy11.gif

Bill P.
Trekkor
But then the dark side

The dark side scares me. unsure.gif
I'm so close vampire.gif

KT
grantsfo
I'm pretty sure Randals car was abducted by space aliens. very_first_smiley[1].gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 27 2006, 09:11 PM) *

But then the dark side

I'm so close vampire.gif

KT

(Faint voice calling....) Come join us Trekkor.....come join us....you know you want to....it's easy....it won't hurt....it's good to be bad.....

muuuhuuuhaaahaaahaaa....... happy11.gif

Bill P. (proud member of the dark side forces)
Randal
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Nov 27 2006, 09:41 PM) *

QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 27 2006, 09:11 PM) *

But then the dark side

I'm so close vampire.gif

KT

(Faint voice calling....) Come join us Trekkor.....come join us....you know you want to....it's easy....it won't hurt....it's good to be bad.....

muuuhuuuhaaahaaahaaa....... happy11.gif

Bill P. (proud member of the dark side forces)

"If he could be turned, he would be a powerful ally."

Come to the dark side Trekkor
Aaron Cox
randal...

whats the story on the car? did you ever get the harness from the link guy?
how is your motor?

whats left to do on your ride?
Randal
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 27 2006, 10:07 PM) *

randal...

how is your motor?

Hi Aaron,

Neil got me the harness and it is very very well made. Really great workmanship.

We're going to be putting it in the car, making sure everything is perfect, then Neil will add the connectors.

The engine is getting close. Finishing up the pistons now and then it's on to the roller rockers and valve oiling.

The car itself is pretty much ready to go...maybe a weekend of work. smile.gif
DanT
Randal,

Is that the 2.0L or the 2.4L that is almost done?

get that thing ready for next season...

My build should get started in the next week or so. biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
Randal?

Is this yours?? Pretty sure these are the earliest pics I have of the car.

B
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 27 2006, 10:23 PM) *

randal...

how is your motor?

Hi Aaron,

Neil got me the harness and it is very very well made. Really great workmanship.

We're going to be putting it in the car, making sure everything is perfect, then Neil will add the connectors.

The engine is getting close. Finishing up the pistons now and then it's on to the roller rockers and valve oiling.

very cool! neil seemed like the brightest crayon in the box...

whats the story on the pistons?? sorry if im prying... sounds like you have been doin this for a while...

pauter rockers? kick ass! going with a spraybar on the valve cover?
Randal
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 27 2006, 11:26 PM) *

Randal?

Is this yours?? Pretty sure these are the earliest pics I have of the car.

B

It is. That was the first of many trips to High Performance House.
Brad Roberts
Feels like watching a kid grow up (I dont actually know what that feels like..lol)

B
Randal
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 27 2006, 11:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 27 2006, 10:23 PM) *

randal...

how is your motor?

Hi Aaron,

very cool! neil seemed like the brightest crayon in the box...

whats the story on the pistons?? sorry if im prying... sounds like you have been doin this for a while...

pauter rockers? kick ass! going with a spraybar on the valve cover?

J&E was mechanically challenged on my piston build. We went through 6 sets to finally get the right configuration.

They would do stupid things like mill out underneath the dome when we specifically told them not to take anything off. The 5th set was pretty close and we could have live with them, after modification, but again they milled underneath the dome and left less thickness than they specify: blink.gif which I think is .80k.

We are working with Charles to figure out the best way to oil the pauter rockers/valves seats. It probably wouldn't hurt to go with the "normal" configuration, given this is a race motor, but there have been failures and we don't want to take any chances.

And you’re right about Neil. Did you know that he used to work on/build F1 cars before he opened Performance Developments?
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Nov 27 2006, 10:35 PM) *

Randal,

Is that the 2.0L or the 2.4L that is almost done?

get that thing ready for next season...

My build should get started in the next week or so. biggrin.gif

The 2.4.

The 2.0, with the great heads and jake cam, is next.
Aaron Cox
very cool randal....

so JE are morons.. and neil is a genius LOL...
whats jakes opinion of the spraybar setup thru the valve covers? should oil the rockers well enuff no?
Randal
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 28 2006, 01:24 PM) *

very cool randal....

so JE are morons.. and neil is a genius LOL...
whats jakes opinion of the spraybar setup thru the valve covers? should oil the rockers well enuff no?

Looks to us like the best place to run the oiler bar is between the intake manifold and the valve cover. This is a bit more solid mounting location and not subject to constant removal, i.e., like a valve cover.

You saw Neil's shop...what did you think?

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 28 2006, 02:04 PM) *

You saw Neil's shop...what did you think?

he had a 4 cam spyder motor sitting there.. along with lots of other sundry treats LOL

cleanest place ive seen...

Brad Roberts
I like the spray bar on top of the head idea.

Honestly.. you are not removing the covers that often when you are autoX'ing. Valve adjusts are pretty infrequent.

but I see where Paul is coming from.

B

Randal
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 28 2006, 04:14 PM) *

Honestly.. you are not removing the covers that often when you are autoX'ing. Valve adjusts are pretty infrequent.

B

If the oiler is on the outside of the valve cover (no room on the inside with the roller rockers) there is also the potential to break or bend the oiler every time it is removed. dry.gif

The real challenge is getting the oil to three different places that require oiling within the rocker or valve. OK, let's say two as the oil from the pushrods goes right out the top now, with the fitting provided by the roller rocker folks.

My guess is that the pushrod oiling will splash the main needle bearing on the shaft.

But the oil isn't going to be moving uphill, hence the requirement for the oiler to spray the valve seat and the roller that sits on the valve.

Sorry I don't have a picture. Maybe Charles does.
Brad Roberts
If the oiler is on the outside of the valve cover (no room on the inside with the roller rockers) there is also the potential to break or bend the oiler every time it is removed.

Um... you use -4 braided line from the engine to the spray bar?? Paul couldnt figure this out??

undo the bail clips and flip the covers off to the side... no stress on the spray bar??

Britain did this on his turbo engine I built. Jay actually did the spray bars for him. I think Jake used Weber main jets in his spray bar to control the amount of oil.

I say do it just like the 911 engines and their spray bars.. tube with holes pointed at the rocker shaft.

FYI: I have never seen a failure. Pauter changed the material they used in the rockers way back.. I dont beleive the failures were do to lack of oil..more like "wrong" material.

B
Randal
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 28 2006, 05:09 PM) *

If the oiler is on the outside of the valve cover (no room on the inside with the roller rockers) there is also the potential to break or bend the oiler every time it is removed.

Um... you use -4 braided line from the engine to the spray bar?? Paul couldnt figure this out??

undo the bail clips and flip the covers off to the side... no stress on the spray bar??

Britain did this on his turbo engine I built. Jay actually did the spray bars for him. I think Jake used Weber main jets in his spray bar to control the amount of oil.

I say do it just like the 911 engines and their spray bars.. tube with holes pointed at the rocker shaft.

FYI: I have never seen a failure. Pauter changed the material they used in the rockers way back.. I dont beleive the failures were do to lack of oil..more like "wrong" material.

We are planning using a braded line from the engine to the spray bar. dry.gif

Are you saying Britain's engine has the spray bar on the valve cover or on the head as we are doing?

BTW the failure happened to Charles in a street engine that was subject to long idles. It really shouldn't happen in a race engine, but better safe than sorry.

Actually Charles helped Pauter redesign the rockers after his oiling failure.
Bill Smith

B

for us on the outside - can you post the current car pics - from what I have seen its bootifulllllllll
Brad Roberts
Are you saying Britain's engine has the spray bar on the valve cover or on the head as we are doing?

Britains spray bars are on the outside. Pretty simple. Pretty straight forward.

Brad Roberts

914forme
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 29 2006, 02:37 AM) *

Don't get much simpler than that smile.gif

And this is why dollars fly outta my wallet.

Nice going guys, you took a simple post and made me think of one more way to spend $$$$$

I gotta quite coming here. drooley.gif But I am so addicted!!!!!

High, my name is Stephen, and I have a problem.

BTW, nice shot of your foot in the 1st pict.
Brad Roberts
I'm not claiming any of these pics.. I was just involved with the entire engine build for this project. Britain shot the pics! I knew I should have cropped them..LOL

B
Randal
QUOTE(Bill Smith @ Nov 28 2006, 06:09 PM) *

B

for us on the outside - can you post the current car pics - from what I have seen its bootifulllllllll

Here are a couple:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Randal
QUOTE(Bill Smith @ Nov 28 2006, 06:09 PM) *

B

next:

Click to view attachment
GTeener
Wow! Your car sure has evolved Randal!
|
|
|
|
(or should I say disolved biggrin.gif )
Randal
QUOTE(GTeener @ Nov 30 2006, 01:01 PM) *

|
|
|
|

and it needs more
GTeener
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 30 2006, 01:11 PM) *

QUOTE(GTeener @ Nov 30 2006, 01:01 PM) *

|
|
|
|

and it needs more

Always....
Brad Roberts
No no.. it needs LESS.. this is case where "less" is MORE!!

B
GTeener
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 30 2006, 01:42 PM) *

B

He meant it needs "more dissolving " wink.gif
Aaron Cox
brad - that oiling setup is pretty similar to the ones i saw on alot of Big Block HP motors....

and weber or solex jets have been used with success....

Randal
QUOTE(GTeener @ Nov 30 2006, 01:47 PM) *

B

I need to run a little tank, like Steve and Andrew.
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 1 2006, 08:42 AM) *

B

And figure out a removable starter.
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 1 2006, 08:44 AM) *

B

And find some really light wheels
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 1 2006, 08:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 1 2006, 08:44 AM) *

B

And find some really light wheels

And cut off the sail (man would that make the car look different blink.gif )
nebreitling
i assume you're not running an alternator? three pc680's and a couple chargers should be all you need... small fuel cell should be no problem. wheels are just a matter of $$$.

external starter -- i like that idea. you could use a kart starter with an extended shank, and just machine/weld a gear on the end. you'd have to insert the starter from the rear of the car into the flywheel.... hmmmm... idea.gif

Chris Pincetich
Ditch the starter + alternator, then when you're at GGR events I'll help you push start it if you give me a ride/instruction. I have lots of practice push starting my 914 and can do it solo in the confines of a gas station, even in reverse av-943.gif av-943.gif
Randal
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Dec 1 2006, 09:14 AM) *

i assume you're not running an alternator? three pc680's and a couple chargers should be all you need... small fuel cell should be no problem. wheels are just a matter of $$$.

external starter -- i like that idea. you could use a kart starter with an extended shank, and just machine/weld a gear on the end. you'd have to insert the starter from the rear of the car into the flywheel.... hmmmm... idea.gif

Great idea Nathan.

I've already go some cutouts, maybe I need a bit more sawzall-smiley.gif .

Brad Roberts
Lose the driver and make it remote controlled. The car will drop 225lbs right there!!

Hi Randal.

B
Randal
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 1 2006, 03:56 PM) *

Lose the driver and make it remote controlled. The car will drop 225lbs right there!!

Hi Randal.

B

Only 200lbs Brad, but I should lose 10lbs for sure.
Brad Roberts
I miss hanging out with you Randal smilie_pokal.gif

You have NO idea how much positive influence you have had on me.

Thanks for all your guidance.

B
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 1 2006, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Dec 1 2006, 09:14 AM) *

Great idea Nathan.

I've already go some cutouts, maybe I need a bit more sawzall-smiley.gif .

I'm pretty excited Nathan and Paul and I are starting to put the electronics back in Sunday. Have to locate all the right places to put the new Mallory stuff. We will also be testing the length of the new wire harness.

Progress.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 1 2006, 04:25 PM) *

B

Oh yeah, the 2 of you have been a big help for me.
I usta' have this pretty stock 914..... I prolly shoulda gone out of my way to thank youz guys before this thing turned out to be a vehical with no redeeming social value alfred.gif
Bill: Consider yourself included in this rant. biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 1 2006, 05:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 1 2006, 04:25 PM) *

B

Oh yeah, the 2 of you have been a big help for me.
I usta' have this pretty stock 914..... I prolly shoulda gone out of my way to thank youz guys before this thing turned out to be a vehical with no redeeming social value alfred.gif
Bill: Consider yourself included in this rant. biggrin.gif

JP....you gotta do Hoopa with us this year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.