Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: windshield wipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Queenie
I was just driving home for lunch and I had the wipers on because, you know, it was raining. I hit the levers to turn on the defroster and as soon as I moved them both all the way over, the wipers JUST STOPPED WORKING. I don't know how the two things could be related, but that's how it happened. The second the defroster levers went into place, the wipers stopped cold.

So now I have windshield wipers that are stuck mid-wipe and I can't move them. At all.

mad.gif

Does this seem like a wiper motor problem or is there something else going on?
Katmanken
Didja blow a fuse or two?

Check them. The added current draw of the defrost blower might have blown one.

Ken
Queenie
I may well have. I will check. I'm parked in a puddle right now, I'll have to move the car so that I can get in there. Thanks, Ken.
Queenie
It was indeed the fuse. I had one of those new-fangled glass and metal fuses in there and it popped. I replaced it with an older blue ceramic 25 amp fuse and now everything is working fine.

If anyone has a fuse diagram for 1976 cars, I would love to see it. I replaced all the fuses when I had the brake light problem, but these are obviously not the way to go.
TheCabinetmaker
Queenie, the fuses are listed in your hanes manual if you have one.
Queenie
I have one...the pages are literally falling out of it, but I have one. I'll look again. I didn't see it last time I looked but I was in a hurry so I probably didn't look in the right place.

Thanks!
TheCabinetmaker
toward the back of the book IIRC
TheCabinetmaker
Page 180 or so
Queenie
Does it say what amperage each one needs? More so than needing to know which fuse goes to which device, I want to know how many amps they need so that I don't have recurring problems like the one I had today.
TheCabinetmaker
Yes, it list' the size fuse for the year and where it goes on the fuse board. Has a picture. Page 185.
SirAndy
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 12 2003, 03:24 PM)
Yes, it list' the size fuse for the year and where it goes on the fuse board. Has a picture. Page 185.

really? mine doesn't !!!
can you scan that page? did they sell different versions of the manual?!?

Andy
Queenie
Perfect. Thanks so much for the info. (I'm at work now, but I'll go over it tonight after I get home from school...I'll have time to sit down and really pay attention to it then.)
TheCabinetmaker
Opps , sorry guys. I was looking at the Clymer manual, not the Haynes. I don't have a scanner and the digital camera has been sent back to kodak for repair. Only 2 months old too! I'm charging the battery on the palmcorder and can post a pic shortly.
SirAndy
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 12 2003, 04:00 PM)
Opps , sorry guys. I was looking at the Clymer manual, not the Haynes. I don't have a scanner and the digital camera has been sent back to kodak for repair. Only 2 months old too! I'm charging the battery on the palmcorder and can post a pic shortly.

if you have it for all years, that should go into the 914-info section. i always struggle to find the right fuse-amps-location ...

Andy
TheCabinetmaker
Andy, yes, it list it for all years. I will get that posted asap.
TheCabinetmaker
Ok, 4 pics to come. not real good quality. It's an old palmcorder
TheCabinetmaker
TheCabinetmaker
TheCabinetmaker
TheCabinetmaker
By the way, I find the Clymer manual far surperior to the Haynes. There was also an exact reprint of the Clymer manual in 1991 by Lash international. They are/were located in Van Nuys. I have a po box #
Curvie Roadlover
Her'e's what I suggest. After you replace the fuse, apply a coat of rain-x on the windshield. I haven't used my wipers in any of my cars since I discovered the magic that is rain-x many years ago. Rain-x does a better job of improving your vision in the rain than wipers could do on their best day. pray.gif
Queenie
I've used Rain-X in the past, but I can't remember on which car. I do recall it working well. I'll have to remember to pick some up. I also need new wiper blades.

It's a never-ending process.

smile.gif
redshift
Make sure you get Bosch blades.

RainX!?

I must have been a hunting dog in a past life, because I fixate on the drops as they collect, and move up the glass... then I shake it off, and realize I am in the oncoming traffic lanes.. I can't use that stuff/

smile.gif

M
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 12 2003, 08:33 PM)
Make sure you get Bosch blades.

RainX!?

I must have been a hunting dog in a past life, because I fixate on the drops as they collect, and move up the glass... then I shake it off, and realize I am in the oncoming traffic lanes.. I can't use that stuff/

smile.gif

M

laugh.gif
Qarl
Rain-X is also good on glass shower doors! Less spotting!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.