Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speaker wire through the door jamb?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
OK, I'm on a roll so bear with me, this should be an easy one.. I'm installing a stereo and speakers. Doesn't look like my doors have ever had speakers installed in them so, what's the recommendation for routing the speaker wire through the door jamb and into the door? I'm guessing I need to breakout the drill and do the obvious..is there a better way?

Doug C
mrhurtalot
leave em exposed...

or you could get speaker pods. and then get some smaller speakers(or bigger!) and tuckt them behind the seats.
jim912928
yes...get the way cool speaker pods from morph (sp?) in here. They take bigger speakers, look great and fit in the standard location. No need to cut virgin doors! I have them and they are great! Click here for his stuff:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=58394
Literati914
Oh, but my street car has a roll cage that makes it impossible to use the stock speaker pods. And, I keep my seats moved pretty far back, not sure if that would leave enough room for boxes.

Doug C
Dave_Darling
My car has rubber grommets in the door jambs for the wires to go through. I'm not sure if those were installed by a PO or the dealer or what. Of course, one PO decided just to run the wires through the holes where the door stays live, so the rubber grommets are now unused...

--DD
Literati914
So you're saying, get the drill out and go to work, huh.. I could pick up some grommets, I was just concerned about the wire being crushing and possibly breaking from opening and closing the door.

Doug C
Chris Pincetich
Doug - they are cut and crushed, but from the inside, not the door jam. Watch the door stop strap once you get the door cover panel off. It is like a giant hook that grabs your wires then pulls them in and slices them. If you are smarter than me routing and securing the wires the FIRST time it won't be a problem. beerchug.gif
MrKona
I'll trade you... my panels with holes already cut in them for your virgin panels.... biggrin.gif
rjkavanagh
QUOTE(MrKona @ Nov 28 2006, 10:30 AM) *

I'll trade you... my panels with holes already cut in them for your virgin panels.... biggrin.gif

I was going to offer the same thing...you beat me to it wink.gif
Literati914
Sorry guys, the "virgin panels" comment was an assumption, I didn't explain that I got em second hand with the holes in 'em already.

Doug C
SGB
QUOTE(mrhurtalot @ Nov 28 2006, 06:21 AM) *

leave em exposed...

I like this idea...

oh wait we aren't talking about women. My error.
jd74914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 28 2006, 10:42 AM) *

My car has rubber grommets in the door jambs for the wires to go through. I'm not sure if those were installed by a PO or the dealer or what. Of course, one PO decided just to run the wires through the holes where the door stays live, so the rubber grommets are now unused...

--DD

Thats what my car has. I always thought that they were a PO thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.