Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT So How fast were they going?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GWN7
This happened earlier in the yr...... How fast were they going?
Lou W
A crash very similar to that happened to a friend of mine's ex-wife on the freeway and I'm pretty sure that speed really didn't play that much into it, I think it was more of the angle of the car that she hit while the other car was braking hard and her braking hard too.
Richard Casto
True story...

Went out on a date with this woman once and during dinner proceeded to describe how earlier in the week I had driven past an accident just like the one above. Rear car wasn't as far under, but basically the same. So I am describing it to her and laughing and saying things like "It was just wedged under there!!" and using my hands to illustrate etc. Really enjoying myself as I described how much of an idiot the driver must have been. She was pretty quiet. After I finished she let me know that she was the driver of the rear car. biggrin.gif

It was our first and last date.
Mr.C
Well at least she's smiling.
Sammy
content removed
HeloMech
I think she was stopping to turn left into a driveway when all of a sudden some a$$hole turned off his anti-gravity switch while reaching for his cell phone. Next thing ya know... WHAMMO... bob's yer uncle. or, Robert's your mother's brother.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Sammy @ Nov 28 2006, 07:03 AM) *

The rear bumber on the black car is not even scratched. the muffler under the car is not bent or damaged in any obvious way. The black car shows no evidence of damage in any way that I can see.

I would expect a great deal more damage and signs of the impact, which I do not see in the pictures.

I see no skid marks.

Did the silver car actually hit the black car from the rear (doesn't look like it) or did the black car roll off a car carrier and land on the silver car?

To answer your question, I pick zero miles per hour.

I think youre right.
sean_v8_914
no croud gathered?
no backed up traffic?
no glass shattered?
its a hollywood flick
Rick_Eberle
QUOTE(Sammy @ Nov 29 2006, 02:03 AM) *

The rear bumber on the black car is not even scratched.
I see no skid marks.

It looks like a piece of the black car is beside the right rear wheel of the lower car.

As to skid marks - ABS.
Sammy
content removed
GWN7
Nope not a staged accident, no "Hollywood" effects. This happened in a downtown location where there isn't a lot of pedestrians. Airbags usually deploy at about 28 mi/h (45 km/h) (winkipedia). I have seen several accidents where the air bags haven't deployed.

If the front car slamed on it's brakes that would cause the rear end to raise as the front went down and if the second car did the same but was traveling faster than the front car it's nose would go under the rear bumper of the first car. If the rear cars front bumper didn't strike anything with enough force to cause the sensors to trigger, no air bag deployment.
So.Cal.914
Or the black car could have jumped from a window above. blink.gif
effutuo101
It looks like the girl in the drivers seat of the bottom car is smiling.... I guess she is thinking about how she is going to explain this one....No shit and there I was....
messix
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Nov 28 2006, 09:18 PM) *

It looks like the girl in the drivers seat of the bottom car is smiling.... I guess she is thinking about how she is going to explain this one....No shit and there I was....

HI CHRIS ! wavey.gif long time no see. hows the pumkin av-943.gif
CHAFF

You guys....don't you get it??? The first car was being driven in reverse...haha...just kiddin'

Actually I know that street well...its gets kinda busy in there during rush hour. That intersection that they're aproaching gets crazy too.

-L
Midtowner
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Nov 28 2006, 06:03 AM) *

True story...

Went out on a date with this woman once and during dinner proceeded to describe how earlier in the week I had driven past an accident just like the one above. Rear car wasn't as far under, but basically the same. So I am describing it to her and laughing and saying things like "It was just wedged under there!!" and using my hands to illustrate etc. Really enjoying myself as I described how much of an idiot the driver must have been. She was pretty quiet. After I finished she let me know that she was the driver of the rear car. biggrin.gif

It was our first and last date.

av-943.gif
nomore9one4
Very interesting. Although you can see the scuffs under the G6's bumper and the drivers window of the girls car is broken. Those early Saturns do have a very low wedge design and the G6 does have a encased underbody and a higher rear stance. I see that easily happening. My former employer had flipped a car over on its roof with his Caravan with that sloped front clip on a city street at a very low speed. This reminds me of the post I had a few back.....
ChrisFix

[/quote]

It looks like a piece of the black car is beside the right rear wheel of the lower car.

As to skid marks - ABS.
[/quote]

The mirror appears to be from the Saturn, you can see the control wires hanging down from the door where it should be. Makes more sense as well, since the front of the black car isn't touched (for that matter, none of the black car appears to be touched).
Pnambic
QUOTE(Sammy @ Nov 28 2006, 06:22 PM) *

ABS can still leave black marks on dry pavement, and that piece is a driver's side mirror AFAICT.

One other interesting fact, the silver car's air bag was not deployed.
If those cars collided with enough force to make one climb the other, all the air bags would be blown for sure.

I say it's staged, or the car somehow fell on top of the other rather gently, or it's photoshopped.

QUOTE(GWN7 @ Nov 28 2006, 08:35 PM) *

Nope not a staged accident, no "Hollywood" effects. This happened in a downtown location where there isn't a lot of pedestrians. Airbags usually deploy at about 28 mi/h (45 km/h) (winkipedia). I have seen several accidents where the air bags haven't deployed.

If the front car slamed on it's brakes that would cause the rear end to raise as the front went down and if the second car did the same but was traveling faster than the front car it's nose would go under the rear bumper of the first car. If the rear cars front bumper didn't strike anything with enough force to cause the sensors to trigger, no air bag deployment.

Unfortunately, I can speak with relative authority on the Saturn airbags. There are no bumper sensors in the Saturns. There is an "impact sensor" somewhere between the two front seats. It measures the decelleration and pops the bags when it deems it necessary. On the incident pictured, since the Saturn went beneath the G6, it didn't decellerate as quickly as if she had hit a fixed object. So the impact sensor didn't deploy the airbags.

I did something similar a few years ago with my last Saturn. In the middle of Monday morning rushhour traffic, in the left lane, traffic was moving along real nice, about 50mph (Indiana rushhour traffic is absolutely nothing like CA traffic smile.gif), and then someone cuts in front of a lady 4 cars ahead of me. She absolutely froze, slammed on her brakes and came to a complete stop. You see brake lights in traffic all the time and you brake to adjust for it, but by the time I realized that we were coming to a complete stop and not just slowing down a little, there was no way I was stopping in time. All five of us bunched up nice and cozy. Lots of paint-swapping. I ended up doing the same thing to the truck in front of me, but I only went about a foot beneath his bumper. Since I didn't hit the truck square on the bumper, my hood crumpling absorbed the impact somewhat and slowed my decelleration enough that the airbags didn't go off. I was sore for a while, but I might have been even more sore if the airbags had gone off. I hope I never find out what an airbag feels like.

I wonder how many cars use sensors like these?

I can also confirm that the Saturn's driver's side mirror is what's on the ground next to it.
nomore9one4
QUOTE(Pnambic @ Nov 30 2006, 01:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Sammy @ Nov 28 2006, 06:22 PM) *

ABS can still leave black marks on dry pavement, and that piece is a driver's side mirror AFAICT.

One other interesting fact, the silver car's air bag was not deployed.
If those cars collided with enough force to make one climb the other, all the air bags would be blown for sure.

I say it's staged, or the car somehow fell on top of the other rather gently, or it's photoshopped.

QUOTE(GWN7 @ Nov 28 2006, 08:35 PM) *

Unfortunately, I can speak with relative authority on the Saturn airbags. There are no bumper sensors in the Saturns. There is an "impact sensor" somewhere between the two front seats. It measures the decelleration and pops the bags when it deems it necessary. On the incident pictured, since the Saturn went beneath the G6, it didn't decellerate as quickly as if she had hit a fixed object. So the impact sensor didn't deploy the airbags.

I did something similar a few years ago with my last Saturn. In the middle of Monday morning rushhour traffic, in the left lane, traffic was moving along real nice, about 50mph (Indiana rushhour traffic is absolutely nother like CA traffic smile.gif), and then someone cuts in front of a lady 4 cars ahead of me. She absolutely froze, slammed on her brakes and came to a complete stop. You see brake lights in traffic all the time and you brake to adjust for it, but by the time I realized that we were coming to a complete stop and not just slowing down a little, there was no way I was stopping in time. All five of us bunched up nice and cozy. Lots of paint-swapping. I ended up doing the same thing to the truck in front of me, but I only went about a foot beneath his bumper. Since I didn't hit the truck square on the bumper, my hood crumpling absorbed the impact somewhat and slowed my decelleration enough that the airbags didn't go off. I was sore for a while, but I might have been even more sore if the airbags had gone off. I hope I never find out what an airbag feels like.

I wonder how many cars use sensors like these?

I can also confirm that the Saturn's driver's side mirror is what's on the ground next to it.

I can assure you do not want to know what a airbag feels like. Especially when it is burning your skin. I would bet the windshield would not feel so good either unsure.gif
mike_the_man
Hey Bruce,

We had something like this happen jus tlast week infront of my office. It was on the Ring Road though, so I assume that the speeds were a fair bit higher. I'd never seen anything like it. Kinda funny to see it happen again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.