Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint for fan shroud and sheetmetal....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike373

What is a good paint to use for these items, other than powder coating them? Would por15 work well, or stand up to the heat?

Thanks,
Mike
JPB
Once ya ceramic them like chrome, ya never turn back thumb3d.gif
Allan
I used Rustoleum industrial paint that our fleet mechanic recommended on all of my tin and shroud. Never bubbled or pealed and looked great.
mike373
QUOTE(Headrage @ Nov 28 2006, 04:46 PM) *

I used Rustoleum industrial paint that our fleet mechanic recommended on all of my tin and shroud. Never bubbled or pealed and looked great.

Rustoleum???? The cheapo shake-up can stuff?
Aaron Cox
i used some duplicolor super high heat stuff..
G e o r g e
powder, no work, drop old oily parts get back clean parts beerchug.gif
Allan
QUOTE(mike373 @ Nov 28 2006, 04:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Headrage @ Nov 28 2006, 04:46 PM) *

Rustoleum???? The cheapo shake-up can stuff?

It comes on a rattle can but you neet to get the industrial type.
JerryP
I've also used that same red industrial rustoleum. For my use, I didn't need it to look good so I even brushed it on but you wouldn't know it. I was suprised at how nice it turned out. Like por-15, kiss the brush and anything else it accidentally touches goodbye. Tough to clean off.
TINCAN914
Sorry for the hijacked.gif

Allan,

What did you use to clean the tin prior to painting? Then once you cleaned it, did you clean it off with a solvent? Looks very nice. Going to do mine in the near future..
Thnx
jasons
QUOTE(George H. @ Nov 28 2006, 05:57 PM) *

powder, no work, drop old oily parts get back clean parts beerchug.gif

agree.gif

My stuff is out for powdercoat right now. I did all engine tin, shroud, a bunch of engine brackets, door thresholds and some other pieces for like $150. I can't hardly rattle can the stuff for that. I mean by the time you burn through sandpaper, primer, paint, and time? A few weeks ago, I did the engine bar, shift-linkage, engman pedal board, instrument panel, all the little interior cover plates and brackets for like $60. Powdercoat is like a new addiction for me. blink.gif

The only downside is, it takes a few weeks. But to me its worth it. It comes out great, cost effective, and no sanding for me.
Allan
QUOTE(TINCAN914 @ Nov 29 2006, 05:59 AM) *

Sorry for the hijacked.gif

Allan,

What did you use to clean the tin prior to painting? Then once you cleaned it, did you clean it off with a solvent? Looks very nice. Going to do mine in the near future..
Thnx

Soda blast then cleaned with brake cleaner. No primer under the paint. My paint guy said that due to the different expansion rates of the paint and primer it would eventually start to bubble and peel.
ptravnic
I (actually Ray Mital & turboman808) painted my sheetmetal w/the black POR15. The finish is glossy and should stand up over time b/c it's not in direct sunlight...

Joe Ricard
I like POR-15 Engine enamel. This stuff is good against anything you can dump on it. Gas oil carb cleaner engine degreaser.
It's the Shiznitz.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.