Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT:Ageing of the Porsche masses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
Just looked at the Mart from the most recent Pano. And, it makes me wonder where people have gone.

There are a combined selling list of 14 356/912/914 owners. So, I picked the 12/1995 issue at random. 40 cars, mostly 356's (20 of them) before you enter the water-cooled district!

914's were about the same as today, except they were mostly stock (one in the current issue), but where have the 356/912 people gone? We're only looking at 11 years past.

OK, maybe the current 356 people have gone to another venue to sell thier cars - high end auctions? Don't think the 356 Registry is as strong as it it used to be, so doubt that's it. Have they gotten too old to own the cars?

What about the 912 people? There were 11 cars for sale in 12/95 - 2 in the current issue. What gives? These were great cars.

Or.......and, I REALLY hate to bring this up, have so many of THEM aged beyond owning these fine old cars? 914's next?

What's your view?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 28 2006, 06:19 PM) *

but where have the 356 people gone?

just went over this with jim at EASY the other day ... i think it's because the prices on the 356 have gone through the roof ... there was one here in the east bay that was on the market for $80k. sold within a few days ...

blink.gif Andy
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 28 2006, 11:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 28 2006, 06:19 PM) *

but where have the 356 people gone?

just went over this with jim at EASY the other day ... i think it's because the prices on the 356 have gone through the roof ... there was one here in the east bay that was on the market for $80k. sold within a few days ...

blink.gif Andy

Yeah, I suspect that some of the "old-timers" realize they've hit the mother load, which I don't think will last all that long. So, they're using Barret-Jackson, et al for retirement (don't blame them either).

I know of one highlt repected 356 guy, in a city I won't name, who has 2 NEW 4-cam engines. Well, one is rebuilt, but the other is NEW. Think what these alone are worth - he knows. And he bought the new one in the early 70's!

All he has to do is hold out for another 4-5 years (my opinion) & these motors will be worth close to 6 figures each.
grasshopper
suddenly I feel young... blink.gif chairfall.gif
GWN7
As cars age, so do their problems with rust. How many 912's were made? How many are left? How many were parted to supply 5 bolt conversion?
G e o r g e
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Nov 28 2006, 06:50 PM) *

Get back to your studies young man biggrin.gif
mudfoot76
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Nov 28 2006, 09:50 PM) *

I think it is quite ironic that in my PCA chapter, of all the cars that show up "regularly" at events, the two oldest cars are owned by the two youngest (active) members. Me with my teener, and a high school friend of mine who is a couple yrs younger than I, with his '62 356.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.