Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remember why I hate D-jet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
So went to Derek Kim's house last night to help him with a tune up. Derek is a great light holder dry.gif
Anyway put a compufire in the dizzy new cap new rotor plugs and plug wires.

GEEZ can't get to the screws on the sides of Dizzy to pull points out so pull DIZZY. BIG GEEZ can't get to the 13mm nut holding the bastard in. got to take off vacuum advance can. He needs a new vacuum advance/retard canister by the way. 73 1.7L D-jet.

So get everything buttoned up with a rev limiting rotor and there is no advance going on with timing light. WTF.gif Look in and see the rotor is pushing down too far on the Cumpufire magnet ring. CRAP!!!!!!!!! so put regular rotor in and all is good. set timing and car was running signifcantly better.

I suppose I can grind off the bottom of the rev limit rotor. We are going autocrossing on Saturday mueba.gif
bd1308
wheres the djet specific problem
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Nov 29 2006, 07:50 AM) *

wheres the djet specific problem

Can't get to anything without removing something else. No wonder people have probelms with this stuff. Freaking vacuum lines everywhere. in this case most are old and brittle. We replaced with new of what we could. and Derek will get to the rest of it "one by one" today.

No problems with D-jet operation. everything seems to work well including cold start circuit. JUST A TANGLED FREAKING MESS.
bd1308
Do you find L-Jet to be of similiar tangledness?

I think its amazing that almost 40 year old FI systems seem to still function.
type47
d-jet? no problem... when we were trouble shooting my new d-jet motor, norustscott removed the dizzy easily by loosening the clamp nut that secures the "turning" of the dizzy to rotate it to allow removal of the 13mm nut that holds the dizzy in the case, remove dizzy... no problemo....

maybe could have used some PB blaster to loosen the nut....
BMartin914
Hmmm...I've pulled that dizzy out countless times. Never had a problem with space. It is kinda tight, but I never had to take the advance unit off. Guess that's why I love d-jet. confused24.gif
Joe Ricard
Dang there was no wrench in my "mad 914 tool bag" that could get to the nut. no socket, no box or open end wrench. I tried from the front from the back even tried tending the wrench under the intakes. could not get enough umph on it.

Put a socket on it with vacuum can off and it was still a 2 hander. Freakin DAPO.
and the spark plugs were the exact opposite. barely JUST barely tight. One of them turned with me choked up on the ratchet with fingers.
Anyway it's all good cuz I got mad wrenching skills.
I must admit the little 1.7L is very smooth and accelerates nicely. Derek's car is coming along. I think suspension is next. Them shocks pretty much suck. Want to stay in C-stock so nothing major. He is already 1st in line for my Koni's whenI get my Fox shocks
Bleyseng
What I have seen is that the dizzy drive is put in one notch off so the dizzy vacuum can lines up right over the 13mm nut. It should be over closer to the fan shroud so you can get to the 13mm nut and 10mm clamp nut without trouble.

Hoses everywhere? You should try working on my Ljet Westy with all the effin hoses and little rubber 90' elbows. headbang.gif headbang.gif I will MS the Westy next summer to fix that!
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 29 2006, 10:25 AM) *

What I have seen is that the dizzy drive is put in one notch off so the dizzy vacuum can lines up right over the 13mm nut. It should be over closer to the fan shroud so you can get to the 13mm nut and 10mm clamp nut without trouble.

Yup I agree Geoff, another fine DAPO trick. I wasn't going to fix it last night without jackstands and chopsticks so I just left it and timed as is.
Cap'n Krusty
If proper maintenance procedures and schedules are followed, problems like yours don't happen. Questionable parts like fragile vacuum hoses are replaced as needed, distributors are installed correctly so you can get to the bolts and nuts, fuel leaks don't develop bacause the hoses are replaced as they age. The Cap'n
majkos
agree.gif

Go ahead and blow up some steam blowup.gif

And remember this, (I read somewhere)
Say to yourself,"I love my car,I love my car,I lov...."

It's all good. smoke.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 29 2006, 10:52 AM) *

If proper maintenance procedures and schedules are followed, problems like yours don't happen. Questionable parts like fragile vacuum hoses are replaced as needed, distributors are installed correctly so you can get to the bolts and nuts, fuel leaks don't develop bacause the hoses are replaced as they age. The Cap'n

agree.gif Yup like on MY car.

Derek and I will get his car up to par, just got to eat that elephant one chunk at a time and as budget allows. At least I don't charge him Labor.

Just a co-drive this weekend clap56.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.