Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: uphostery question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
freezing14
ok i got all the vinyl to do my new beige interior ,, i have to recover everything from scratch,

, and when you look at the basketweave it has small rectangle in it,, on the dorr panel all the one i see are horizontal, all the seat back are vertical and the seat bottom are both,, WTF.gif WTF did they change the orientation of the material during the years or it is again a case of " i do not care and i do it anyway it fits"
nomore9one4
QUOTE(freezing14 @ Nov 29 2006, 07:36 AM) *

ok i got all the vinyl to do my new beige interior ,, i have to recover everything from scratch,

, and when you look at the basketweave it has small rectangle in it,, on the dorr panel all the one i see are horizontal, all the seat back are vertical and the seat bottom are both,, WTF.gif WTF did they change the orientation of the material during the years or it is again a case of " i do not care and i do it anyway it fits"

Actually,the 75' 76' had a different basket weave pattern. Your old ones may be mis-matched. I believe starting at 72' up to 74' the pattern was horizonal. I am sure the experts will chime in. smile.gif
freezing14
I have 3 cars ,, a 70 a 72 and a 73 they all have the same "material " the early basket weave , but when you look closely there is small rectangle so the can be set 2 way forward to back or side to side,, the door and seat back are consistant ,, dorr always side to side and the back of the seat is always up down,, the bottom of the seat i have seen both( side to side and front to back), but the seat bottom can be easily removed and swap,, so what right for a early car , i will take picture tonight
nomore9one4
The 70'should not be basket weave. It had a heavy grain leather look. So did the 71'. confused24.gif
Porsche Rescue
In my experience, most US 70's were basket weave and most '71's were smooth/grained vinyl.
freezing14
the thing is that my interior is tan and I have never seen a completely flat tan interior? I have seen a black one with all flat but the back bad and dorr panel were heavy grained and the insert flat,, its driving me nuts that it is no unclear,, what do i buy ,, all flat ,,or half and half , the question is , in a concourse what is right and what is not,
914runnow
QUOTE(faux916 @ Nov 30 2006, 02:19 PM) *

The 70'should not be basket weave. It had a heavy grain leather look. So did the 71'. confused24.gif

agree.gif I call it 'Elephant Ear' type of grain..
70 and 71 had the 'thickest' material for vinyl out of all of the years..
And 75 76 had the thinest of vinyl and different pattern of 'basket weave'..
72 73 saw the seats sewn at the seams..74 to 76 they were 'heat seamed'..
BTW: there is a knock off VW type for 72 thru 74 years basket weave vinyl,
in black that is about 75% correct....NOT concour..but looks very 'original'!!
1970 Neun vierzehn
freezing14,

Here's a pic of an original, stock door panel from a '70/4.

Are you redoing a /4 or /6, and what year?
1970 Neun vierzehn
Freeze,
I don't know if this is helpful or not, if you can tell how the pattern of the "weave" is oriented. Again, from an original '70/4.....
freezing14
i am redoing an original -6 the picture helps ,, the thing is mine is tan,, did they do the tan door panel in flat vinyl too or basketweave,, also by the picture the backet weave on the seat has the front to back orinetation
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(freezing14 @ Dec 4 2006, 09:43 AM) *

, did they do the tan door panel in flat vinyl too or basketweave,

freezing,
I thought all early /4s and /6s had smooth vinyl on the door panels and later versions of 914s got the basket weave on the doors. Hopefully, some others can offer their input.
Porsche Rescue
I have owned the following with original interiors:
'70 four, black smooth door panels, black basket weave seats
'70 six, black smooth door panels, black basket weave seats
'70 six, tan smooth door panels, tan basket weave seats
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Dec 4 2006, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(freezing14 @ Dec 4 2006, 09:43 AM) *

, did they do the tan door panel in flat vinyl too or basketweave,

freezing,
I thought all early /4s and /6s had smooth vinyl on the door panels and later versions of 914s got the basket weave on the doors. Hopefully, some others can offer their input.

That's my recollection also. Though I'm not certain if all '72's had the basketweave door panels. Can't remember, but did the early 72's (through April) have basketweave door panels? There were some significant changes at mid-year '72. Just cannot remember, but would like to know.

I've looked at the basketweave doors & seats on my '72 & cannot really determine which direction they face, except they match.
nomore9one4
confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.