Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for ideas for a 914/4 lightweight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stevend
Im goin to be lookin for ideas for a future race car, i either want to do a lightwieght 4 cylinder or a 3 liter wide body 914. My father and I have talking about the rules and were i could fit in but we need help.
Andyrew
Where are you going to be racing? (ie PCA) What class are you going to race in or thinking of racing in? What kinda budget do you have? What kind of racing?

Just some of the questions they will ask you, so might as well get it out of the way...

Andrew
Joe Bob
http://home1.gte.net/nugentmd/914lite.htm

Check this out.
john rogers
About the lowest weight you can get a 914-4 down to would be 1300# or so. This would be with all fenders, doors, and glass replaced with plastic. Cut out the front, mid and rear pans and use cro-mo tubes to replace the structural rigidity and then use aluminum sheet to close off the openings. As a matter of fact that is what Kravig did to make the famous Wayne Baker #22 914 but it is so delicate that you could not use it for a regular race car. I'd say to start with a car that has been raced and the owner is getting out of the game and then work to make changes as you like. This is getting to be the season for selling cars so I'd look around some. Good luck
Qarl
URY914 will chime in soon. I think his 914 weighs around 1500 lbs now. He's owned it 24 years now and has done all the work himself.
sechszylinder
hi,

look at this ->

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/cgi-bin/...n=gallery&id=11

benno
URY914
Here I am

The advise in the previous replys are very good.
1. Find out what you want to do with it. (SCCA, PCA, Autox, etc)
2. Buy an existing race car. Building a race car from a street car or a roller is ALOT of work. If you looking for something to do as in "I want a project with my dad" Don't worry, there is more than enough to do with an existing race car. Working on a car is rewarding but working AND drivng is way more fun.

Good luck

Paul
MJHanna
If you buy something that been done, you’ll be dollars ahead rather than going in from scratch. You can always modify.
jnp914
If you buy a rules legal race car (PCA, POC, SCCA Improved Touring) you can always use it for autocrosses, time trials, DEs, as well as racing. Can't do it in reverse.

Plus, no one selling a race car ever gets what they put into it. You get some of the goodies for free. Been there and done that.

Jerry

psst. Make you a good deal on a championship winning SCCA IT legal Nissan Sentra.
914werke
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 12 2003, 07:15 PM)

Is "Doc" Nugent on the list ? I see he is in my neck o' the woods. The link says its now parted out! I wonder who has been the benifactor?
cnavarro
Yeah, I would be curious too to see if he's on the list. I want to get some first hand evaluations of the CB fi system. I know Jake's opinion on it and the lack on a CHT sensor and cold start.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
steve@ottosvenice.com
This car is for sale. Steve
Bleyseng
Mike Nugent parted that car out a few years ago after suffering an injury so he could drive anymore. I saw the car when it was all together and it was pretty nice but nowhere as nice as the David Said red car.
Parts and pieces on the 914lite car are here and there on people projects....

Geoff
d914
just for the record steve is my 13 year old son. We are buying "his" 914 shortly. Read my street car. My 914 is hsr ready. The object here is to plan , design and eventually build a second car for the track. PCA, Scca and or hsr are open, just trying to build a fun car with plenty of options. Plus I figured he would learn to drive better starting with a 2.0 four than my 2.5l six.
Jeroen
QUOTE(d914 @ Nov 17 2003, 02:08 AM)
just for the record steve is my 13 year old son

I knew he was your son, but not that he was only 13!
Very cool!!! Glad to have you here Steve!

cheers,

Jeroen
SirAndy
QUOTE(steve@ottosvenice.com @ Nov 16 2003, 09:53 AM)
This car is for sale. Steve

welcome to the board! smilie_pokal.gif

any chance you can post more pix of that yellow car?
Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.