Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SUBIE 3.3 LITRE 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rat
I have been leaning towards a SBC but recently found out that KEP makes the adaptor for a subie opposed 6.I am trying to get to about 8 to 10 lbs per hp.Will the 3.3 fit without major pita and what would be the weight to horsepower ratio.
TonyAKAVW
Yes, someone did a 3.3 6 a long time ago, Eric Tischer. If you do a search on this board or the web you'll find info. There is at leas one other member here actively working on a 3.3 conversion as well.

From what I have read, the 3.3L 6 puts out 228 HP. So it depends on the weight of your car. I would figure a stock car with that engine would be somewhere in the 2100 - 2200 lb range, so that gives you between 9.2 and 9.65 lbs/horse.

I managed to get my early car down to 1888 lbs by stripping out all the sound deadening tar, using fiberlgass bumpers, and a few other small things. I'm running a 2.5L Subaru engine which is I believe considerably lighter than the 3.3L engine. With 165 HP that puts me at 11.4 lbs/hp. BJ's car (before it broke) was I think 1965 lbs with at least 300 HP, so thats 6.6 lb/hp... (turbo 4 cylinder motor)

-Tony
jsteele22

Actually, Eric Tischer's car used a flat six, but it was an older (1980's) generation engine, from an XT-6 (?), much lower HP. The EG33 is the 3.3L engine from the SVX. I'm working on that conversion (search for YASC), but I'm not real far along yet. Someone else has got the engine installed, but not yet running. The engine does fit, but barely. As for the the most recent generation of flat sixes (MY 2004-ish ??), I don't know that anyone has checked for sure, but I have the impression that they're a smidge too wide to fit.

The EG33 is a great engine, with a cult-like following. Very solid, very well-engineered. For crazy power you can add a turbo or super-charger.
The only US car that had them, the SVX, is getting rarer as cosmetics and trannys go to pot, so the engines are fairly cheap. (Mine was listed at $600, but they dropped the price to $450). The bell housing is the same as the EJ series (2.2L, 2.5L) so the KEP adapter is the same as all the other Subie conversions out there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.