Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel frozen to the hub
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Thought I would start on the front of the parts car. Driver
side tire came off no problem, passenger side just hangs
there. I can't get it off and yes the lug bolts are out and
the tire is off the ground.

This is the 74 LE that has sat for 18yrs. Any thoughts?

- Garold
Mueller
Big f'n hammer

corrision has set in, you'll have to smack it from the inside to get it off.....use a block of wood to protect the rim and don't be shy....

also, don't use a lame claw hammer, every mechanic or wanna-be mechanic should have a few different size sledge hammers smash.gif smash.gif
Mueller
oh yea, the reason for the tight fit???

hub is steel=rust

wheel is aluminum=corrosion

the hubcentric ring on the rotor has sorta "expanded" due to the rust/corrosion
GaroldShaffer
Big f'n hammer

Yep going to the shed in the morning to get Burtha my 20lb
sledge wub.gif
Dave_Darling
Why is it always the passenger's side wheel that sticks???

Note--"Fake Fuchs" wheels seem to do this more often than the Real Thing.

GABH, Get A Bigger Hammer.

If all else fails, put the lug bolts back in just over finger tight. Drive a little bit--just a little. You should start to hear strange noises from the front of the car in a bit. That's the wheel coming loose.

Naturally, you must be very very very very careful... Having the wheel fall off while you're driving would not make you happy.

--DD
seanery
Dave,

this car aint drivin' nowhere! See the thread about the rusty red LE.
GaroldShaffer
If all else fails, put the lug bolts back in just over finger tight. Drive a little bit--just a little
chairfall.gif

Uuummmm, I don't think so Dave......
Engman
Maybe you should fix it up to get it running to loosen the wheel. Then you can junk it. lol3.gif

Mine had the same problem - take your time go around the rim and by all means protect the rims from being hit with the sledge. You might try to get some penetrating oil in on the hub area. smash.gif

Have patience - it will come off.

M
Aaron Cox
BFH!!!! beer3.gif -> smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif -> beer3.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif -> idea.gif
GWN7
You could also lower the car down on that wheel. No wheel studs in place. The extra force along with the BFH should pop it off. That doesn't work.......Plasma Cutter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.