Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master vs. Valet Key Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rigglet
Hi everyone! I am a brand new 914 owner and I just found your excellent site. I have wanted one of these cars for a long time now and I have finally made the jump.

My question is this. The person I purchase the car from had lost the original keys. They had some keys made up, but they are only valet keys. I have ordered some replacement master key blanks. Am I able to use the valet key to create the master key? Or will the locksmith need to tear apart one of the locks in order to create the master?

I look forward to all the information that I know is available on this site.

Thanks for taking time to answer my question.
ejm
Am I able to use the valet key to create the master key?

Yes, the cut is the same, it is the profile of the blank that is different.

welcome.png
rigglet
That is awesome news!

Thank you!!!
Allan
welcome.png
mrhurtalot
strange. all i have is the master keys.

can i get valet keys made?

or is that a stupid question.
JmuRiz
Good news, I have a fatter key (stock girth) and a skinny key (toothpick thin, probably from so many copies over the years) that came with my car, the fat one starts the car but doesn't unlock the doors (valet?) and the skinny one does all, but is so toothpick thin that it looks like it'll break.

Think I can use my fat key and make a new master key from it?
HeloMech
Wow, really? I have a very nice valet key. The master is twisted and worn down nearly smooth on the teeth surface. I already bought both the red/black blanks but have been hesitant to have them cut. So, I can take my nice red valet key and have my other two keys cut from that?

If so, that rocks...
Porsche Rescue

Valet (red) key fits only doors and ignition. This is so the "valet" cannot easily get to your stash(es) in the glove box, front and rear trunk (these are '70's cars afterall).Only the black key will open those and the doors, ignition.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Nov 30 2006, 02:20 PM) *

Valet (red) key fits only doors and ignition. This is so the "valet" cannot easily get to your stash(es) in the glove box, front and rear trunk (these are '70's cars afterall).Only the black key will open those and the doors, ignition.

How does that work ?
markb
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 30 2006, 06:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Nov 30 2006, 02:20 PM) *

How does that work ?

The red key has a slot that the black key does not. In the glove box and trunk locks, there is a wafer that has a protrusion that keeps the wafer from moving unless it is pushed. The black key will push it, the red key, because of the extra slot, will not. I hope this makes sense.
HeloMech
QUOTE(markb @ Nov 30 2006, 06:56 PM) *

The red key has a slot that the black key does not. In the glove box and trunk locks, there is a wafer that has a protrusion that keeps the wafer from moving unless it is pushed. The black key will push it, the red key, because of the extra slot, will not. I hope this makes sense.

So then that would confirm that I can take my red key to cut my black key. The black key would then work because of the extra slot that runs the length of the key.. er, horizontal... in a juxtaposition to the length of the key? lol.
jim_hoyland
That makes sense. One other question: my ignition key ( 1975 914 ) is a VW key and quite unlike the red or blank keys. Were the ignition switches interchangable ? I want to go back to the original set up; can I still replace the ignition switch and use the original type key ?

Thanks, Jim
markb
Glad it makes sense to someone other than me. smile.gif

HeloMech, you are correct, making a copy to a black key will work all the locks. It has everything to do with the slots on the key.

Jim, some of the VW ignition locks can be re-keyed to a Porsche key, but there are a lot of exceptions. Most of the newer replacement VW locks I have run into can't easily be taken apart to re-key. Your best bet would be to find a Porsche lock and have it re-keyd to match the doors. If your ignition key matches the other locks, then it's just a matter of getting the new blank and cutting it. I'm guessing it doesn't match the rest of the locks. Is this correct?
jim_hoyland
Here's a pic; I have two red key, one for each door and they open the trunk. The black key is for the glove box lock and doesn't match anything else. And, the VW key....
markb
Hmmm, looks like you've got a real mish-mash. My opinion is to get a new Porsche ignition lock, and have everything else keyed to it, since most are going to need to be rekeyed anyway.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(markb @ Nov 30 2006, 08:12 PM) *

Hmmm, looks like you've got a real mish-mash. My opinion is to get a new Porsche ignition lock, and have everything else keyed to it, since most are going to need to be rekeyed anyway.

agree.gif Next Project...any recommendation on where to purchase ?
markb
Any of the usual suspects. I personally use GPR the most, but that's just me.
Doug Leggins
QUOTE(ejm @ Nov 29 2006, 05:16 PM) *

Am I able to use the valet key to create the master key?

Yes, the cut is the same, it is the profile of the blank that is different.

welcome.png

I agree with Ed's comment. The cut is the same, the key blank profile is what allows the valet key to function as it does.

welcome.png

Where are you located in Indiana?

Eric_Shea
Excellent thread. Answering questions and welcoming newbies. That's what this club is about smilie_pokal.gif

welcome.png
mr914
This is such a great thread, but it raises a question that after searching I cannot find.

So... unsure.gif

In which position (of the 5, one being all the way in the front and 5 being by the handle) is the valet wafer located?

And is there a associated wafer number (size) to the vallet wafer?

Just rekeying the locks on #269
dangrouche
member "tweet" does the complete rekeying package for our cars or do it yourself

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=66709&st=0
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.