Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: Need directions to Colorado
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jenny
My boyfriend is going to see his REALLY ill grandmother in Glenwood Springs, Colorado this weekend. Doctors aren't sure how many days she has left. Mapquest is obviously sending him way out of the way. Any advice? Ginter? Other Denver area folk?

TIA,

Jen
john rogers
When we went to Denver, we went up I-15 to I-70 then East. Can't miss Denver that way. It is cold in the moutains though so be careful. Not at all like So Cal!!!
Jenny
He's coming from the bay area (cupertino). Mapquest wanted to send him down to LA and then across to colorado as well. Is that really the only way? Seems like there *should* be a more direct route. Maybe that's just the fastest?

Thanks!

Jen
Qarl
Head East until you come to some big snowy mountains!

Then follow all the cars with ski racks!
campbellcj
Jen, the straight shot is to just hop on I80 and head east...the weather can certainly be a factor though this time of year. I haven't noticed Gint on this board recently but he certainly should be able to offer some more enlightened advice.
bernbomb914
Jen go on I 80 to Denver turn off go to I 70 west Glenwood spgs. is about 3 hours west on a good day at the aspen turnoff. If the weather is bad it will probely be bad coming from LA on I 15 to I 70 also

Bernie
Jenny
Thanks guys. Looks like best bet is to go north. At least this way he bypasses LA and Vegas traffic.

Merci beaucoup!

Jen
GWN7
With I80 you have more chance of ice and snow. I70 is further South and the mountain passes are lower than on I80. (Drove them both last January) Also I70 has less trafic. I80 is a prefered truck route in and out of California

Do a Mapquest search from where you are to Salt lake and then from Salt Lake to Glenwood Springs...see what the milage difference is, from the original directions Mapquest gave you.
Hawktel
I-80 to Laramie, and south to Denver. I was in Wyoming on Sunday, the roads were clear and dry from Salt Lake City to Rock Springs.

burnout.gif
Jenny
It's shorter and faster going thru LA and vegas (25miles), but I don't think mapquest knows about LA and Vegas traffic.

Jen
Brad Roberts
There is NO reason for him to get anywhere near LA. Go down HWY 5 until you get to Buttonwillow and take the exit for Bakersfield... then head to Barstow... it by passes all the LA crap.

I dont suggest going the northern route..

B
rhodyguy
if you're into geothermal soaking the HUGE spring complex in glennwood is great. doc holiday went to the town when he was dieing of consumption.

kevin
seanery
I spent 10 days in Park City, UT which is right off I-80. If it's snowin' (which it's supposed to start doing again today) it's tough! They take care of that stretch of road, but it can be really scary when ice covered. I'm not sure about the other areas on I-80, but I thought I'd just pass along my experience.
Ferg
Jen, i've driven both ways and for glenwood you want to follow brad's advice. It is a PITA to go 80 that far north and find your way south to Glenwood. Coming back from montery this summer in our camper I had to make the same choice and took the northern route, mistake! 15 to 70 is a piece of cake compared to 80 this time of year. Ferg.
Malmz
You guys ALL missed the obvious answer... "follow Kobe"

Boooooooooooooooooooo
Mountain914
Have you considered 80 E to Salt Lake, then highway 6 SE through Price, to I70 E ?
As far as Colorado - should be OK weather this weekend - but after all, it is Colorado.
I used to be stationed in Vallejo, and even lived in Yosemite a year, but have gone so many different routes all I can say is "they can all get you where you want to go".
What kind of vehicle is he driving? If AWD then no problem, if he has to baby it, then stick to the I-15 to I-70 route, but I wouldn't consider going that far South when you don't need to, maybe Hiway 50 across?
Mountain914
Also, if IIRC, Las Vegas traffic isn't that bad on a weekend (just don't get off the hiway)
Jenny
He's got a WRX with AWD, but he has khumos on them. It's the traffic BETWEEN LA and Vegas that's really bad. On Fridays and Sundays, when people are fleeing the basin for sin city, it gets pretty backed up on the road. Thanks guys! I'll forward the info to him and we'll see!

Jen
Mountain914
I've got a WRX too, and would take the cross-county routes if I were doing it !! But Khumos... hmmm, not sure he'll have any troubles. Why don't you ride with him, then maybe you guys could cut over to Conifer and give me a hand with my 914 !
seanery
I drove up from LA to SLC a couple weeks ago. We left on Wednesday evening. It was the smoothest LA-Vegas trip traffic-wise that I've ever done. That's now my travel day of choice.
Jenny
I would join him (I'd love to see Colorado) except that there's a bday party for me this weekend. It would probably make me look really ungrateful if I didn't show. Do you have any idea what a mob of angry chinese people are like?? unsure.gif lol2.gif

Jen
Mountain914
"Bad day in Little China" come to mind... lol3.gif

Enjoy your B-day and sorry about his grandmother.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.