Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Computer Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
Every time I order something on line, or otherwise enter my address into the computer, I get a damn drop down menu when I get to "state". Then I have to go to the mouse, click and scroll down to Oregon. Of all the data included in an address, the two letter state abbreviation is the easiest to enter. I could type "OR" way faster than using the *&*^*&* drop down.
Does anyone have a logical answer as to why this is the universal method of entering your state? I will feel better when I do it if there is some reasonable explanation. End rant.
kpex914
hit the tab button it will highlight the states then arrow down untilyou get to your state.
vanaman
it is prolly because there are enough people who dont know the difference of several.
like arizona, arkansas, alaska.

these minority have deemed it neccesary for this nuisance.

steve
ejm
usually if you tab from the city box you can hit the first letter of the state, several times if needed to get your state then tab to the zip

try it here
Porsche Rescue
Steve you are making me feel better already. Tab, hit O until I see OR and then tab on.........it works. Thanks Ed
gms
When you code forms you need to validate data before entering it into the database.
Giving a drop down menu eliminates that step from your coding.
People can only choose a valid 2 letter abrev for that field.
SirAndy
QUOTE(gms @ Nov 30 2006, 02:32 PM) *

When you code forms you need to validate data before entering it into the database.

agree.gif one less possible error the programmer has to deal with. give them a predefined dropdown and there's no way someone could type in "Oreganon" instead, which would result in all kinds of trouble for the scripting on the website ...

type.gif Andy
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 30 2006, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Nov 30 2006, 02:32 PM) *

agree.gif one less possible error the programmer has to deal with. give them a predefined drop down and there's no way someone could type in "Oreganon" instead, which would result in all kinds of trouble for the scripting on the website ...

type.gif Andy

exactly... remember to a computer "OR" is not the same as "Or" and isn't the same as "or"

some has to write logic to decide what's valid, drop-downs are a faster way to ensure the data is the way you expect it... and it's nice when it can be used, anyone whos had to validate data... nothing like expecting an integer and getting "K"...
bperry
I run into one that is even more annoying.
I live just north of Dallas, TX in a town called Addison.
The city received its own zip code about 5 years ago. (75001)
The city previously had 3 different zipcodes and is now a new single zipcode.
However, many of the silly data entry forms attempt to sanity check
zipcodes in addresses.
The problem I run into is that 75001 is not known to some of these.
To make matters worse, the Postmaster general in Addison decided a few years
ago that to better enforce using the proper zipcode and to get people to
adopt the new zipcode. ALL mail & packages
will be returned to sender as "Undeliverable" if the zipcode is incorrect.

Great, so when I run in to a site that doesn't know about 75001, I can't even
fake it out because if it does it accept a Dallas zip, Addison will return it
to the sender with an obscure reason/messsage.

I've never understood why programmers code up data entry forms that
require entering city, state & zipcode and then think they need to try
to sanity check the zipcode.

--- bill

KELTY360
I feel your pain man. Try living in WAshington.
SirAndy
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 30 2006, 11:02 PM) *

uhm, click on dropdown, hit the "W" key on your keyboard and on to the next input ...

no scrolling needed ...
bye1.gif Andy
smooth_eddy

Washington is easy... Just select (hylight) the box and type W. Washington will come up first. Really! Eddy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.