Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cold Start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ziggy101
Ok, so my 914 has really been pissing me off lately. with the cold weather, the car will nearly NOT start. i will end up using the entire battery to start it, but in warmer conditions, it starts easier. once it gets going, its really nice and smooth.

could it be the cold start valve? if so, where is it, and how many are there? huh.gif

also, will installing a popcharger, for example a K&N filter, improve performance at all, over the stock oil bath i have now? if so, by how much?

all replys are appreciated, thanks
Gary#
What size engine do you have??? If it's a 2.0 the cold start valve is at the
base of the plenum (drivers side). If it's a 1.7 or 1.8 I don't have a clue.
But you might want to read this article first. http://www.autoatlanta.com/tech/fuel_injection.html
---
I wouldn't recommend buying anything from A.A. but they do have decent pics
& tech articles.
Gud Luck beer.gif
SLITS
Haynes Manual ...

Page 41 for diagram of fuel system

Page 44 for picture of coldstart valve & thermotime switch
biosurfer1
can some one tell me exactly what the cold start valve does? or rather what is does differently from the AAR?
HeloMech
isn't that just the 5th injector that puts more fuel in there for faster starting? or something like that?
ziggy101
it's a 1.7L, and it's a 73. I dont have a haynes manual, so can anyone just tell me where it is? and wat about the filter?

SLITS
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Nov 30 2006, 03:06 PM) *

can some one tell me exactly what the cold start valve does? or rather what is does differently from the AAR?

Based on OAT, the thermotime switch may send a signal to open the "5th" injector on a cold startup .... I forget at below which temperature the thermotime switch becomes "active". It is extra fuel for cold starts ... a richer mixture much like a choke richens the mixture.

The AAR only supplies extra filtered air on startup for a "fast idle" condition until there is enough heat in the engine to run smoothly.

The cold start injector is very near the AAR on a 1.7. It is attached to the plenum with screws, has an electrical connector and fuel lines going to it. Trace your fuel lines and you will find it.

And, the next $20 you run into ..... buy the manual.
type47
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Nov 30 2006, 03:06 PM) *

i'll try and someone can correct my errors. the cold start, also known as/called the "fifth injector" squirts extra fuel into the intake air distributor when the engine is "cold". it often occurs that the ambient temperature (lucky CA) is not "cold" enough to trigger the operation of the cold start valve. the cold start valve is triggered by the thermotime switch, an internally and externally heated device that sends a signal to the cold start valve when cold and will either cut off the signal when the internal heater opens the circuit or the heat from the engine provides enough heat to open the circuit to the CSV and stop it from injecting extra fuel to the used to be cold, now warmer engine. the CSV can operate as little as 20-30-40 seconds (approx) depending on the temp and signal supplied by the thermotime switch. the aux air regulator provides some extra air to the cold engine (something to do with rich or lean), as the engine warms up, the AAR gradually closes the path of the extra air; closing is done by either an internal heater or external engine heat.

so the cold start provides extra fuel, the AAR supplies extra air to the "cold" engine.

hopefully DD and others will correct my errors.
ziggy101
ya, i know what the thing does. i just need to make sure i HAVE one. and does anyone know where the thermotime switch connects? i think the wire is disconnected, because a wire labeled "Therm Switch" is coiled up, and not connected to anything. sort of in the middle of the motor next to the distributor area.

and what is AAR?

go easy on me, im only 15....
ziggy101
ok ok ok....i figured this out....so i DO have a coldstart valve that is attached to the air distrubutor. I DO have the connector that attaches to it, and it is plugged in. however, a wire that says THERM SWITCH is not connected to anything from the valve. does anyone know where the THERMOTIME switch is located so i can plug the wire into it? or does the wire go to the coil? or what? thanks
HeloMech
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 30 2006, 03:18 PM) *

And, the next $20 you run into ..... buy the manual.

I got my last one at TOPS auto for $14.99 piratenanner.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(ziggy101 @ Nov 30 2006, 03:58 PM) *

ok ok ok....i figured this out....so i DO have a coldstart valve that is attached to the air distrubutor. I DO have the connector that attaches to it, and it is plugged in. however, a wire that says THERM SWITCH is not connected to anything from the valve. does anyone know where the THERMOTIME switch is located so i can plug the wire into it? or does the wire go to the coil? or what? thanks

Towards the back of the engine -- in line with the distributor -- near the plenum -- the bracket it screws into will have a big (1/2"-3/4") hole in it. Connection is a white wire that goes to the CSV and then to the relay board where the FI connector is plugged in ...... pin IV (but you need the manual to identify the pin outs on the relay board)
mcbain77
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mcbain77
DO NOT TRY TO PLUG THE WIRE TO THE COIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Marlow
Jim, only correction I see is that the CSV only works when the key is in the "start" position. So it only fires when cranking the engine and temp is below around 32 fahrenheit.

Ziggy101, check this link out, D-JET Parts and Troublshooting. Immensely useful!

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.