Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I have an LE?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
warrenporsche
I am sure this has been posted before, but I cannot find it, Would my VIN be able to tell me if my car is an LE? it has been repainted badly in original white, has black sail panel trim strips, and what seems to be original black door handles along with an LE spoiler on it. Does any of this mean anything or is there just no way to tell this stuff!!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(warrenporsche @ Nov 30 2006, 11:04 PM) *

I am sure this has been posted before, but I cannot find it, Would my VIN be able to tell me if my car is an LE? it has been repainted badly in original white, has black sail panel trim strips, and what seems to be original black door handles along with an LE spoiler on it. Does any of this mean anything or is there just no way to tell this stuff!!

Well, This is my take on the LE's (and Jeff Bowlsby can step in here any time). The LE's were not produced in a VIN sequence. So, the ONLY way you'll get confirmation/denial as to LE status is to get a Certificate of Authenticity from PCNA.

The fact that your car has a/an LE - type spolier doesn't prove it is an LE. There are hundreds of 914's out there with them.

The black door handles? Not on a LE. I'm not aware of black door handles on any 914.
JeffBowlsby
Look here for any answers you need:

http://members.rennlist.com/914_canam/

smile.gif
warrenporsche
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 1 2006, 12:30 PM) *

Look here for any answers you need:

http://members.rennlist.com/914_canam/

smile.gif

My doorhandles are silver ( chrome ) on all but the face, there they are plated or maybe very, very well painted black. I do not think this was done after production simply due to the perfect edges between the black and chrome areas. Pics to follow.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 30 2006, 06:43 PM) *

I'm not aware of black door handles on any 914.

they were thinking about it ... from DGVWPB ... supposedly the "standard" version, no chrome or other bling ...
type4org
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 2 2006, 02:08 AM) *

they were thinking about it ... from DGVWPB ... supposedly the "standard" version, no chrome or other bling ...

Love the looks of that. That's Clean with capital C. Perfection would be achieved with black sails. clap56.gif

warrenporsche
QUOTE(type4org @ Dec 2 2006, 03:18 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 2 2006, 02:08 AM) *

Love the looks of that. That's Clean with capital C. Perfection would be achieved with black sails. clap56.gif

Fascinating stuff!! it has chrome bumpers right now but other than that, this is pretty close!! why does it appear that there is a Porsche crest on the hood, and if it is not, what is it? I am really suprised anything is there since this looks like a factory photo!
914werke
The fact that your car has a/an LE - type spolier doesn't prove it is an LE. There are hundreds of 914's out there with them.

Not really accurate Pat.

There may be hundreds of of cars with reproductions of that ver. of spoiler
but by Jeffs own registry there is only a few dozen with THE OE spoiler which
if original to the car is a good indication of its linage.
JeffBowlsby
Well actaully the way I understand it, is that all LEs of course came with the LE spoiler that was designed specifically for that car. Careful study of the photos on the Registry indicate that few LEs actually have their original spoiler, repros have been installed. But the spoiler and its brackets were also installed as an optional accessory on late 74-76 914s and were available for separate purchase from the dealers. So any 914 could have an OEM LE spoiler buy this time. You are both right. smile.gif
type4org
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 3 2006, 10:00 AM) *

But the spoiler and its brackets were also installed as an optional accessory on late 74-76 914s and were available for separate purchase from the dealers. So any 914 could have an OEM LE spoiler buy this time. You are both right. smile.gif

You mean this kind of spoiler, which is on my '76?

Click to view attachment

JeffBowlsby
Pretty sure Jens. Looks like it has the brackets. What do the ends at the wheel wells look like? The OEM part is very distinctive.

QUOTE(type4org @ Dec 3 2006, 07:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 3 2006, 10:00 AM) *

But the spoiler and its brackets were also installed as an optional accessory on late 74-76 914s and were available for separate purchase from the dealers. So any 914 could have an OEM LE spoiler buy this time. You are both right. smile.gif

You mean this kind of spoiler, which is on my '76?

Click to view attachment

type4org
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 3 2006, 06:26 PM) *

Pretty sure Jens. Looks like it has the brackets. What do the ends at the wheel wells look like? The OEM part is very distinctive.

I'll try to take some better pictures Tuesday, the next time I'm working on it.

This one does seem to have all the goodies, including front and rear sway bars.

JeffBowlsby
Here are some details. PN center middle inside surface.
warrenporsche
Does anyone know why the red car ( the bone stock one in the pics above) has an emblem on the hood? I am getting the impression it's being ignored because no one knows!!
jd74914
I imagine its because this was an actual "Porsche" prototype (atleast this is what I gather from Andy's post from DGVP).
warrenporsche
ahh, very true. after seeing that car, I don't think I want to go with the LE look anyway. That one is pretty much the look I want, besides I have learned through this thread that my LE spoiler is apparently a FAKE!! Oh well.
type4org
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 3 2006, 06:26 PM) *

I think we have a winner, this is indeed the "real" spoiler on mine:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

JeffBowlsby
I have this image of a WS for a 1975 914 that indicates a 'front spoiler' was installed as a factory accessory. Obviously this car would not be an LE and there were no other factory front spoilers available for the 914. If the LE spoiler was mounted to any 914 at the factory it should be indicated on the COA as optional equipment.

type4org
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 6 2006, 12:52 PM) *

I have this image of a WS for a 1975 914 that indicates a 'front spoiler' was installed as a factory accessory. Obviously this car would not be an LE and there were no other factory front spoilers available for the 914. If the LE spoiler was mounted to any 914 at the factory it should be indicated on the COA as optional equipment.

My COA should arrive some time next week. However, seeing how badly they researched the technical data sheet I requested for the technical inspection and car registration I'm not holding my breath about its accuracy.

Michael N
This is a decal off a NOS part which was installed last year. Made in Western Germany. I guess it is no longer a NOS part unsure.gif .
crash914
Hi Jens,

How is the car running? clutch ok?
type4org
QUOTE(crash914 @ Dec 28 2006, 11:46 AM) *

Hi Jens,

How is the car running? clutch ok?

After replacing those stupid sports mounts with real 914 mounts and a forced shifter readjustment since they had managed to break the long rod in the chassis tunnel during transport (!!) it's now running better than ever before. I just registered it today after slowly doing the necessary conversion work over the last few weeks.

Those sports mounts caused so much vibration and noise to be transferred, I thought something was wrong or out of balance with either the flywheel or the clutch/pressure plate. I'm glad it was the sports mounts instead.

The clutch has that wonderful light feel, there's no shaking when it engages, and all gears shift as smoothly as they should. Passing on the two-lane roads here is fun now. happy11.gif

Thanks a lot again for the emergency help! clap56.gif

Oops, hijacked.gif laugh.gif
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(type4org @ Dec 5 2006, 01:11 PM) *

<!-- quoteo(post=828788:date=Dec 3 2006, 06:26 PM:name=Jeff Bowlsby) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 3 2006, 06:26 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- quotec -->
<!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->

I think we have a winner, this is indeed the "real" spoiler on mine:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Way too cool......never have seen a real one of these yet....they were all faked out without the O.E look to the ends, and no Porsche Part number. This is GREAT documentation for the club to see. Sure would be fun to count up the responses of those guys with L.E. 's that have the documentation like this.....

THANKS !!!!!
Bleyseng
Way to go, Jens. My 76 still had a LE spoiler on it when I bought it in 95, although I managed to smash it a year later. I had a fake spoiler for a few years then went to a metal stock valance for fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.