Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holy Hell Hole
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
What do you think?
RustyWa
Looks like surface stuff from here. Should clean up real good.
Rand
Doesn't look too serious from this angle. Poke around underneath this area and forward with an icepick.
Trekkor
Treat it, paint it...Be happy smile.gif

KT
Krieger
agree.gif beer3.gif
Scott-thundercat
man that's a relief! i thought that the hell hole was like way more out of sight than this! i've been all nervous- man mine hardly even has any surface rust.... glad to see yours is an easy fix!
So.Cal.914
Like they said its hard to tell in a pic but it does not look bad at all. I have

seen some that had no hole just hell....and rust.
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE(Carlitos Way @ Nov 30 2006, 07:12 PM) *

What do you think?

I think, if you can't see the ground thru the the hell hole, then you should be a very happy man clap56.gif
VaccaRabite
I'd still probe it. Mine looked great till I started probing. It still was not that bad, but it required some welding and me learning a lot along the way.

Zach
bd1308
On my car, I could reach my whold hand inside the long through the hell hole and if my arm was loong enough, continue going and touch ground.

all fixed now smile.gif
fitsbain
Mine was bad enough that I could put my head through the hole there. And just ask my wife, I have a fat head. Even that one is comming back together.
JB 914
that would be considered "rust free" IMHO

clean it, use some Jasco rust converter and paint it.
1970 Neun vierzehn
You show me yours, I'll show you mine.......
1970 Neun vierzehn
Cleaned up a little, but still not acceptable.........
sgomes
Looks like it's a Hell Hole thread! Yippie! drunk.gif

Mine:

RustyWa
Mine was in pretty good shape actually...

Before....

Click to view attachment

After...

Click to view attachment
Chains
I'll trade ya.....

IPB Image

Shane
type11969
I consider mine more of a hell canyon.

IPB Image
sgomes
ohmy.gif welder.gif
fitsbain
Look at mine!!

Click to view attachment

I win!!!!
grasshopper
Where is it???? All I can see is rust??? screwy.gif
So.Cal.914
Hey Barry, hows it going?

Sorry for the hijack.
grasshopper
Everythings going pretty well. A lot of things have changed, projects have come to ends, new projects have rolled in, and now I have 8 914s, two of which are going to the crusher tomorrow morning. I havn't been on here much the last 3 months or so, lots of stuff has been making it hard to do much with 914's for a while. School is the main one...but its worth it. How are things on your side of the world??
mrhurtalot
lemme snap a pic of mine. youll be jealous.
mrhurtalot
eek. never mindddddddddd

i guess i never looked there before...

how do you clean this area?

suggested treatments?

im embarressed
Mid_Engine_914
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Dec 3 2006, 02:43 PM) *

Everythings going pretty well. A lot of things have changed, projects have come to ends, new projects have rolled in, and now I have 8 914s, two of which are going to the crusher tomorrow morning. I havn't been on here much the last 3 months or so, lots of stuff has been making it hard to do much with 914's for a while. School is the main one...but its worth it. How are things on your side of the world??

Grasshopper, I'm just curious if you finished the Official Grasshopper "Rustoration"?
jeff
welder.gif
Rusty
Now the picuture above makes me laugh. biggrin.gif

how do you clean this area?

suggested treatments?

im embarressed

Don't be.

The right way to do the job is to drop the drivetrain (45 minutes) and get in there with a wire wheel and lots of elbow grease. If everything is basically solid, then treat with something like POR-15 (read the directions and do all the prepwork) and then topcoat as you like.

If everything is solid, it's not a difficult job, just time consuming. You'll work from inside the engine compartment. (Cover those hanging axle/CVs with baggies to avoid covering yourself in grease.) Wear safety glasses when grinding... you only get issued one set of eyes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.