Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reinstalling dual carbs...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
I have a new set of the "thick" type of gaskets that go from the runners to the heads. I'm wondering if these would be adequate, sufficient, or not recommended for installation. Should I get the thin stuff that CB Performance sells with their kits?

SirAndy
QUOTE(Carlitos Way @ Nov 30 2006, 07:15 PM) *

I have a new set of the "thick" type of gaskets that go from the runners to the heads. I'm wondering if these would be adequate, sufficient, or not recommended for installation. Should I get the thin stuff that CB Performance sells with their kits?

NO ... don't use the thin paper gaskets. use the stock, thick (5mm or so) FI gaskets instead.
hone them out to match the runner dia.

it'll help to insulate the runners from the heads to prevent boiling the gas in the carbs at idle ...
smile.gif Andy
Joe Ricard
agree.gif
Carlitos Way
Don't laugh at my ignorance but... should I use any permatex or gunky stuff or just go manifold-gasket-head?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Carlitos Way @ Nov 30 2006, 07:50 PM) *

Don't laugh at my ignorance but... should I use any permatex or gunky stuff or just go manifold-gasket-head?

most certainly a thin film of "gunky stuff" on both sides ...
smile.gif Andy
Gint
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 30 2006, 08:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Carlitos Way @ Nov 30 2006, 07:50 PM) *

most certainly a thin film of "gunky stuff" on both sides ...
smile.gif Andy

I've only installed a set of intake gaskets on a 4 cylinder 914 once, but I didn't use any sealer on them. And generally speaking I don't use sealer on any automotive intake gasket. Not on ,y 914/6 carbs and intakes either. Never have, and it's never been needed.

Is it standard 914/4 procedure to use selaer on intake gaskets that I'm just ignorant of?
Flycut
I use the thin ones from CB Performance, I've been running Dual carbs for About 15 years and have never had Boiling gas, Manifold leaks or any other problems. Have never, and will not use sealant on my intakes.
Matt Romanowski
Can't use the regular silicone sealant - gas will break it down and make leaks. Just gaskets.
Eric_Shea
Excellent thread gang. Good answers to any question. That's what this club is about smilie_pokal.gif

Priceless. Literally.
bernbomb914
jake has a new silicone gasket for this use, maybe he will tell us about them

Bernie
Pnambic
Sorry for the slight hijack...
Where's the best place to get these gaskets?
Would a leaky one of these gaskets possibly be the cause of a little bit of backfire on decel?
Aaron Cox
Jake has some wicked phenolic material gaskets...

they eliminate a ton of heat transfer into the manifolds and the other gaskets eliminate heat transfer from the manifolds to the carbs-

cooler intake charge and no gas percolation in the carbs
Matt Romanowski
Dan,

I make my own gaskets. If you have a stock intake runner and heads (not ported), you can buy them from CB. If you have ported your heads and manifolds, you have to open up the gaskets and might as well make your own. You can buy material (impregnated cork / paper) at your local FLAPS.

As far as rubber gaskets go, be very careful. Most rubbers can't take the heat and will break down. Viton will not withstand the heat (ask me how I know).

As far as running problems, intake leaks can cause lots of things include decel pops. Try and find the leak with some carb cleaner sprayed around the gasket areas.

Matt
Al Meredith
When I build a Weber 32/36 center carb layout I use metal gaskets. keeps those loooong runners warm. Heat never gets to the carb, but keeps the runners warm..
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 30 2006, 08:31 PM) *

Is it standard 914/4 procedure to use selaer on intake gaskets

nope, not standard procedure.
just something Rich Bontempi has showed me. every race motor he's built got that treatment and it worked great on my car ...

bye1.gif Andy
Flycut
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 1 2006, 05:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 30 2006, 08:31 PM) *

Is it standard 914/4 procedure to use selaer on intake gaskets

nope, not standard procedure.
just something Rich Bontempi has showed me. every race motor he's built got that treatment and it worked great on my car ...

bye1.gif Andy

Race engines and daily drivers are 2 different animals, Joe Blow the instructor of my Mechanics 101 class told me to never use sealant on my daily driven, Break the engine and rebuild every 100,000 mile Engines. popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Flycut @ Dec 1 2006, 07:07 PM) *

Race engines and daily drivers are 2 different animals, Joe Blow the instructor of my Mechanics 101 class told me to never use sealant on my daily driven, Break the engine and rebuild every 100,000 mile Engines. popcorn[1].gif

yes. they are.
and mine was not a race engine. worked great still ..

but what do i know. it's not like i was trying to help or something ...
KMA.gif Andy
Flycut
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 1 2006, 07:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Flycut @ Dec 1 2006, 07:07 PM) *

yes. they are.
and mine was not a race engine. worked great still ..

but what do i know. it's not like i was trying to help or something ...
KMA.gif Andy

Could not resist Andy, Please take my jabs lightly as they are in good humor, Possibly sick humor but non the less Humor. Miss your old avatar with the Mohawk! poke.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Flycut @ Dec 1 2006, 11:16 PM) *

Could not resist Andy, Please take my jabs lightly as they are in good humor, Possibly sick humor but non the less Humor. Miss your old avatar with the Mohawk! poke.gif

ah man, i'm sorry. i read right through your humor ...

i'm a bit "jumpy" since we started this whole subscription thing ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
Carlitos Way
I feel a group hug coming....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.