Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flare Fitting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
I decided to steel flare the Green Machine (formerly rmital's project which was munched while @ the body shop). Since I have to replace 2 of the 4 quarterpanels I figured why not just flare them? So, I'll have 2 quarterpanels ready to install and flares to be installed on the qtr panels.

Anyone ever fitted steel flares w/the qtr panels off the car?
jasons
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Dec 1 2006, 08:47 AM) *

Anyone ever fitted steel flares w/the qtr panels off the car?

I don't have experience either way, but.... I would think thats a really bad idea for a few reasons. The main one being, those quarters will probably torque one way or the other off the car. Basically they will twist some depending where or how they are resting. For what you will have invested, I would fit the flares on the car with the quarters on the car. Otherwise, I think you have bad body alignment issues.

Basically, you won't know if you have the flares correctly positioned until you mount the quarters. When you mount the quarters, you will probably find they won't fit the body well because they have twisted and conformed to the flares.

ptravnic
Good points. Will prob need to put on the new qtr panels then align the flaress.
Literati914
I'd mount them on the car only after the matching flared rocker panels were installed first. Otherwise it won't all line up.

Doug C
ptravnic
that makes me wonder, who sells the flared rocker panels?
jasons
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Dec 1 2006, 10:27 AM) *

I have a glass set from rennspeed, I've never used. After looking at them, I think it would be easier to make them myself. The fit is that bad. I would take some steel ones and flare them. In fact I have glass flares (I don't know who made them) and glass rockers that fit so bad, I don't think they are worth the work. I would do it all in steel, especially if its a street car. I mean, you have the steel flares, why F around with glass?

Or I would take the rennspeed rockers, cut the flared ends off and bond them to steel flares. I'm just really disappointed in these glass products.

Search the archives. I know narrow steel ones have been flared before.

BTW good thing, you jumped on those $700 flares. I might have bought them otherwise!
ptravnic
QUOTE(jasons @ Dec 1 2006, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(ptravnic @ Dec 1 2006, 10:27 AM) *

I have a glass set from rennspeed, I've never used. After looking at them, I think it would be easier to make them myself. The fit is that bad. I would take some steel ones and flare them. In fact I have glass flares (I don't know who made them) and glass rockers that fit so bad, I don't think they are worth the work. I would do it all in steel, especially if its a street car. I mean, you have the steel flares, why F around with glass?

Or I would take the rennspeed rockers, cut the flared ends off and bond them to steel flares. I'm just really disappointed in these glass products.

Search the archives. I know narrow steel ones have been flared before.

BTW good thing, you jumped on those $700 flares. I might have bought them otherwise!

I agree w/what you are saying about steel. I've wanted flares for a long time & I now have the perfect project car for them. I'll go w/steel rockers - it's going to be a "spirited street driving" car, maybe some DE events. Mostly for fun.

I feel lucky about the $700 flares, and I'll save on shipping b/c I'll be able to pick them up en route to Boston next week.

-pt

GeorgeRud
May be an obvious question, but has anyone ever fabricated some flared rockers out of steel? I agree that the fiberglass ones do leave something to be desired, but they seem to be the only ones available that I'm aware of.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.