Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Tank full or Empty for the Winter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RangerRhett
Empty Tank = Potential to rust? Is this correct?

Gas all winter = microbial growth and other issues?

How do you all park your cars for the winter???
Joe Bob
Full with a 1/2 pint of Stabil.....new oil and up on jack stands, remove battery.....
ChrisFoley
The one storage procedure that is better than having the gas tank full of gasoline is to fill it with kerosene instead. In fact running the engine until the kero kills it is an excellent way to store the engine too.
There are potential issues with gas that is doped with alcohol that aren't mitigated by Stabil, especially for fuel cells. The alcohol separates over time and eats some foam, rubber and plastics.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 1 2006, 07:51 AM) *

Full with a 1/2 pint of Stabil.....new oil and up on jack stands, remove battery.....

I agree with Mike except for the jack stands. If you have room enough to roll the car, leave it on the ground and once a month roll it forward or back to help prevent flat spots. Also for us in the snow belt states I put a plasitc sheet under the car to help protect from the moisture collecting on the underbody.

If you park a car next to it that has been driven in the salted roads of Indiana check and see if any of the dried salt from the "road car" hasn't collected on the bottom of the 914. I know this sounds wiered, but I know a guy with a nice yenko corvair that parked in his garage for 5 yrs right next to his ever day driver. The yenko was MINT and developed floor pan rust issues from the salt drying and blowing off his driver. He had no mositure barrier under it, with condensation and salt dust blowing around it developed the pan rust. No it wasn't a lot, but it was there none the less.

YMMV, but this is what I do biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.