Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Need to buy a Portable Generator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gary#
I'm looking to buy a portable 4 stroke gas generator to use when camping, etc.
Any recommendations will be appreciated.
thx,
messix
what will you be powering?
Gary#
QUOTE(messix @ Dec 1 2006, 12:59 PM) *

what will you be powering?

---
Gud Q: Camping duty will vary between lights, a fan, television, battery chgr, etc.
thx,
messix
if your going to run a microwave or a airconditioner your going to need some thing around a 3.5kw if not you could use a 1kw -2kw.
dont plan on actually charging your batteries with it it takes to long. you will just use it during high load useage.

i have 2 generators to pick from one 6.5kw [its loud!] and a 1.8 "suite case" powermate [nice and quite]. if you can spend the bucks, go for a honda eu1000 or eu2000. their the quitest ones made.
So.Cal.914
If your running a camper with a AC unit I use a 120v 20 amp unit and it handles

everything (5000 W). If your needs are not that great Messix has you covered,

Honda makes a Great little genny that is quiet and starts every time and needs

little maintainance.
TROJANMAN
get the Honda eu 1000 - $600 new? or the yamaha equivalent. i think it actually got better reviews.
do a search for yamaha generator, they are all over the web.

they only weigh 26 lbs.
Dr. Roger
Honda "EU" series generators are absolutely the best. I've got 2. Quiet, reliable, sturdy, and one of the top rrated for gas economy.

If you can't afford one, then I'd be shopping for something reliable and one that has the least noise.
those things will grate on you over one evening... =-/

I found mine posting to craigslist "Wanted" section. =-)

Good luck in your search.
Gary#
I'd spring for the honda if I had the coin. Don't laugh too hard but... clover.gif
I'm trying to stay under $300. Cheap $hit that I am. All 3 of these R under 300.
R they crap? confused24.gif Wonder why such a huge price range diff between the honda, yamaha, a few others - and then pretty much the off brand's $ go way down???
TROJANMAN
have you tired costco? they usually have one or two models to choose from.
Flat VW
I would look for a gently used Honda, $300.00 should take you a ways....

John wavey.gif
grantsfo
Most of the mountain folk where I live buy Honda's. I use a few car batteries and a power inverter when I lose power.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.