Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: eBay, does it suck or not?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
I am not a big seller or buyer on eBay. 66 score since 2000 with 80 something transactions....

Got my latest 914/6 off of it....good deal.

But two things that just bust my balls....feedback. I've been getting guys that complete a transaction and refuse to leave feedback. I do all the time.... You ask them to reciprocate and then they start to get shitty......

Is anyone having the same problem?

Then there's this new policy of eBay that hides bidders names on items that are over $200. TO ME, this will encourage shill bidding and ultimately screw the buyer.....eBay claims it's to cut down on fraud with the second chance buyer program.

Geez, here's a thought...eliminate second chance.....

Probably stop me from buying anymore big ticket items.

Any comments?
Allan
I've only sold 1 item and have bought maybe a couple of dozen things off of ebay. Never had a bad experience but I can see that the way ebay runs things it would be easy for a deal to go sideways real fast.
VaccaRabite
My ebay usage is about the same as yours, and our experinces seem to be pretty similar.

I am also pretty worried about the shill bidding with the new system. But I will still use ebay a couple of times a year. I don't think its evil, I just think that users need to be on thier guard.

Zach
SLITS
I run two accounts on eBay .... personal (200 +) and business (900 +)

I don't care if they leave feedback or not .... while nice for a rating, I know what I supply and it's condition. If anyone has a problem with what I sell, I take it back and refund their money ..... I don't need headaches.

I hate the way their ADMINS keep changing shit.

It's a vehicle and I'm driving.
Joe Bob
That's what I'm afraid of....arrrgh.

My latest moron is "Racer Jerry" Everette in Ramona CA. Claims that I was pissy when I asked for some feedback 27 days after the close of the auction.

Had an issue with him a few years back when the Renegade Club was selling stuff.....he shipped me stuff COD with Mail Boxes etc....the charge was double what UPS would have charged.....I didn't recognize his seller ID otherwise I would have cancelled the sale...

I tried looking at alternative auction sites and they don't have squat for Porsche stuff let alone 914 parts....
BKLA
QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 2 2006, 08:02 AM) *

That's what I'm afraid of....arrrgh.

My latest moron is "Racer Jerry" Everette in Ramona CA. Claims that I was pissy when I asked for some feedback 27 days after the close of the auction.

Had an issue with him a few years back when the Renegade Club was selling stuff.....he shipped me stuff COD with Mail Boxes etc....the charge was double what UPS would have charged.....I didn't recognize his seller ID otherwise I would have cancelled the sale...

I tried looking at alternative auction sites and they don't have squat for Porsche stuff let alone 914 parts....

Start up our own 914 specific auction site here?

seems simple enough with a good programer....
grantsfo
I have had nothing but good expereinces with ebay. I'm not really worried about shill bidding as I dont get attached to anything. I have my price and dont go over that number regardless of other bids.
boxstr
I have used ebay since the begininng. It is what it is. You have to adapt an attitude that, you use it to make and sale or buy something. If you ge the item for a great price they Hoorah. If someone out bids you then, on to the next.
You are going to have shill bidding in any auction environment, there is nothing you can do about it so, if you don't like it don't bid.
With any auction you have to begin by setting a limit for a purchase, if the bidding goe's over your limit, then just keep looking .
Ebay is good to help a seller reach a worlwide audience, that is what I like about it.
Alot has changed at ebay and it will keep changing. Use it for what it is when you need to, its just a tool.
CCLINEBAYMYWAY
chilli
QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 2 2006, 07:48 AM) *

....feedback.

Then there's this new policy of eBay that hides bidders names on items that are over $200. TO ME, this will encourage shill bidding and ultimately screw the buyer.....eBay claims it's to cut down on fraud with the second chance buyer program.

Any comments?

I have used ebay very successfully for cleaning out the garage. Have been using them since 1998. Lots of transactions, only burned once and really my fault did not read the "entire" description. I really do not care if sellers or buyers leave feedback. I have enough where it does not make any difference.

Shill bidders do not bother me. As I usually bid what I will pay maximum (with shipping) for the item. I think shill bidding is bad but don't even watch for it. I do not get caught up in the last 30 seconds bidding.

When I bid for something where I do not know what the going price is I do a completed item search and see what they have been selling for, and also do web search to see what I can buy it for new PLUS SHIPPING. Shipping is the latest game by ebay sellers. LOW ball the price and charge outrageous shipping as ebay does not charge listing fees on shipping. NEVER bid unless you know the total shipping costs. If it does not say ask them. If they do not response pass on the item.

What amazes me is how many people bid lots of money with someone who has no "selling" feedback. Normally do not bid unless the sellers have good feedback from buyers.

Anyway just a few points to make ebay work for you.

Don't get caught up in auction frenzy bid what you will pay and come back when it is over.

driving.gif driving.gif mike driving.gif
Gint
I don't ask for feedback, but I will give it, especially if asked. I've never had any bad ebay experiences, and if I did I would probably not leave any negative feedback because I've seen too many ebay'ers leave bad feedback in return reagrdless of whether it's waranted or not.

It's not worth it. Give it up. Don't go asking for it. Who cares?
jimtab
I've never sold anything on ebay, I use craigs list....easier for me. I've never had a problem...as others have stated, I bid my max price I'll pay and if I win, it's good; if I lose...oh well, look for another, usually there will be several more available....of course I don't buy the Porsche "heirloom" pieces that others may....
anthony
Asking for feedback is kind of a newbie thing to do. My recommendation is to just give sellers positive feedback when they follow through with the product and then forget about it. Most sellers will go through their feedback every few weeks and return the favor. If they don't then they don't. And remember that feedback is entirely voluntary. (When you are doing high volume selling, dealing with the extra emails asking for feedback can be a PITA. I could understand someone getting annoyed. Of course they should just keep it to themselves.) If they don't then they don't. And remember that feedback is entirely voluntary.

Like slits said, having seperate buying and selling accounts is a good idea.

I've literally saved tens of thousands of dollars using ebay. That is mostly buying deeply discounted network and computer equipment for work. A good chunk of it is personal savings as well. As craig said, it is what it is, and you have to adapt to it.
turboman808
I buy and sell stuff on Ebay almost daily now. It's real easy to sell stuff from my desk at work and aside from first setting up auctions it's pretty darn easy and takes almost no time. At the end of the week I put and extra 100-200 in my pocket for just a few minutes work. So far I've only had a couple real bad transactions.

I live on 189th street and once every 3 months some idiot send my package to 198th street. The most annoying thing in the world. The guy on Ebay who sells the racing lug nuts for porsche just couldn't get it right. 3 times wrong address.

I don't really care if people leave feedback. I certainly wouldn't waste time asking them to.
iamchappy
Mike,
I bought my 914 6 conversion from Racer Jerry and althoughI feel I got a screaming deal, he did a lousey job of packing the parts that came with the car that caused a lot of damage during the cars shipment. I cant complain to much as he sent along every part
right down to the last nut and bolt.
KaptKaos
The new system that hides bidders will tell you what percentage of bids a bidder has with a given seller. So it does help identify shill bidding a little.
alpha434
I bought a bunch of hood pin assemblies off of Ebay. The damn bastards never sent the parts. After complaining and complaining, I finally leave negative feedback. I'm pissed. They made no effort to contact me. In response (to the negative feedback I left) they left me some negative feedback, ruining my 100% satisfaction rate. Those flipping bastards! I finally get ahold of them. They tell me that they will agree to a mutual withdrawl. F THAT. I paid the second I won the items. I spent almost a month trying to make contact with them. I used the feedback as a last resort. I never even got my money back.

So I contact eBay. Tell them about the situation, and they won't remove the negative feedback because "the feedback system is sacred."

So now I'm suing the seller, M1perfomance, for defamation. It's a long and windy road, but I'm pissed. I make a lot of transactions on eBay, buying and selling. And I've had a perfect score, with NO f-ing around since I was 13!!!

So. In retrospect, eBay is great. It relies heavily on the user's honesty. If you deal with good people, everything will go good. But it only takes ONE god damn bastard to ruin my whole time.
jim912928
I've got 70 feedbacks and 100% + (selling and buying). Overall I'm happy with ebay but buyers sometimes suck! I've been burned twice now on selling a 911 tub...first buyer didn't pay and gave a bogus address/phone number...listed it again and was purchased again (both times buyers did the buy-it-now). The 2nd time the buyer now says he can't arrange shipping! In all, I needed this tub out of my garage to start my conversion and I've had to hassle with two buyers over 3 months and it still sits!....grrrrrrrr!
Flycut
I love ebay, And Paypal... People will buy Anything, One mans junk is definetly another Mans Treasure. I have listed stuff that Was going into the dumpster with suprising results. Feedback is a scary thing, and I have contacted buyers with offerings of exchanging positive feedback if they were satisfied. I will Always go with a Buy it now price and end up paying for part of shipping because of my lowball shipping estimates. I do prefer to sell stuff on the samba, Pelican parts, 911s registry, 914world.com, And Craigslist because there are no fees and feedback is never an issue. I only have a rating of 67 but would love to ebay full time. aktion035.gif
914Sixer
I am fast approaching 1000 feedbacks. Yes, there are buttheads in every crowd. Some people are just ignorant about leaving of feedback, others won't because they think you got to them. Most that do not leave feedback have some imagined problem with the product. USED parts are are still not NEW even though people are expecting them to be for the price they are paying.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.