Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Here it is
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chains
Been doing a little tear down already. Most of the interior is out engine/tranny is out hoods and doors removed and so on....

So here's where I am starting. Gonna be a long slow process. Need to spend as little as possible so I will make whatever panels I can wherever I can. Once Christmas is over and the Christmas bills are gone I'll be hitting up some of you who are cutting up cars for parts and searching the vendors I can find. Any recommendations? Keep in mind I'm just a weldor and we have 6 kids running around.....

Well on with the pics.... Hope she's salvageable.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Shane
Chains
More pics

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Chains
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Chains
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Like I said hope I can save her. I've never seen another on the road in person and only heard the stories of "a few years ago so and so had one of those" Lots of sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif in my future I think and prolly quite a bit of drunk.gif beerchug.gif .

So I look forward to any comments and suggestions from ya all. been looking around here for a while and hope some of ya can help. I think this is the worst one I've seen on here yet..... shocked[1].gif

TIA,
Shane

Oh yea I got new door jambs, battery tray and support with the car. Thik I need a little more tho....
Jeroen
you are a brave man clap56.gif
keep us posted of your progress
PinetreePorsche
Were it a Fiat (or Maseratti!), I'd say couragio--take courage. But there's no such thing as 'just' a weldor (and I guess the tin box with the big transformer is the welder). Weldor good! But 6 kids?? Maybe find another junker, cut 'em both, add 3 foot of length to get a back seat ("2 targa bars, two tops). Then put in a rumble seat! Of course, you'd have to put some serious u-channels inside the longs, but why not. No big deal for a weldor. Then better put in an eight to power it, with the extra weight. Oh what fun it is to ride! Seriously, good luck, and keep us posted. -Chris H
Chains
Brave man is not quite the words the OL had for me when we pulled up with it on the trailer. laugh.gif

LOL no way would I stretch this one out. With just two seats it can be our excuse not to take the kids the kids along. LOL I do have a bad habit of taking on HUGE projects,,,,

74 2.0 BTW. Paint code is Alaska Blue Metallic but isn't the blue you can see left up there kinda dark?????
brp914
good luck - looking forward to seeing the progress.
john grier
My God what are you thinking?
We are getting ready to cut up two that are not that bad I think.
Please let us know what you need or if you want the whole car.
It would be cheaper.
John
I really hate to discourage, but you should probably try to find a better starting point. There just looks to be too much to repair. Strip all the salvageable parts (gauges, bolts, hinges door handles, etc. and start looking for a tub.

I FIRMLY believe that you could find a California roller with lids for MUCH cheaper than you would have into that one in restoration design replacement panels and shipping alone.

(I'd bet about $1,500 - $2,000 would get you a CA tub delivered to you)

Believe me that you want a better starting point.

I don't want to piss you off, but I bought a rust free CA tub in Mason City for MUCH less than that only a few months ago.

They are out there.

If you decide to pursue this rust covered money eating project, I wish you the best of luck.
McMark
You've got a lot of work ahead of you. If you can keep your momentum and focus, you can make it happen. It's going to be a long project. wink.gif Come here for encouragement.
Mid_Engine_914
If you can resurrect that car, it would be a miracle. You'd almost certainly be better off starting with a car with less rust. Keep an eye out in the classifieds here and on the Pelican Parts forum and eBay. Good luck either way.
Chains
Where'd you find one in Mason City John????? I'm actually only about 45 min from there. Really the price was right on this one... Free. That's why I have it.

Believe me no getting pissed off here. I learned along time ago not to get too worked up about most things (don't ask the OL about that tho). Frankly I have thought of scrapping this one and looking for another starting point. It's a viable option yet if I come across another at the right price problem is the right price and my funds usually end up as two different things.... BTW this is a complete car I've been dismantling it and the rest of the parts are in the basement. Doors and lids all look in good shape and the engine is supposed to run. I had it firing but the fuel pump is doa...

Seriously I do appreciate the input from all of ya.....
swood
As a wise goat lover once said..."that baby has taken a stroll to the other side of the periodic table".

Seriously, that one is done...
jimkelly
it is your car - and I use the term loosely - but before you start look at this thread ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...c=16748&hl=

I say find a near rust free one - but hell - I'm lazy and have no talent : )

Jim
John
Where'd you find one in Mason City John????? I'm actually only about 45 min from there.

I found it here in the classifieds. I was not looking for one, but it came up for sale and he had no takers so I asked him what he would take and my Dad and I went up with the trailer and brought it into my shop. I think we gave about $500 for it (hoods, doors and top included) It is the most rust free unrestored tub that I have ever seen. It has a couple dents that require some repair and it had been wrecked (both front fenders were replaced), but it appears to be a very good tub.

We drove about 4 1/2 hours each way to get it.

I am going to make it into a street car for my Dad.

They are out there.
Chains
Yea I read all 30 pages of that thread. It's one of the first things I read on the site biggrin.gif Been doing all I can to follow all the threads like that I can find when I got time.

Where's all you guy's sense of adventure??? Don't get me wrong I appreciate the comments, the good and the bad. All the negative is actually driving me to go for it just to see if I can...... And if I don't, I run a torch for hours at my other job so I can always cut out what I f'ed up for the next one......
jimkelly
no question that your car is MORE than simply a challenge.

you sound determined and if successful - you will have won the prize for restoring the worst tub possible - is my guess ????

I look forward to your updates!

Good luck and best wishes!

Jim
Chains
WOW I could win something!!! Sweet I never win anything. What's the prize laugh.gif
boxstr
A set of CAMP 914 Pilot lites.
Good luck and keep the club posted.
CCLINRUSTYTUB
fitsbain
Good gooing man!!! Another Rust Attacker!!

Check out my work at:

My Car

I may have a parts car her soon to cut stuff off for you.

Keep up the good work and lets save another from the scrap yard.
Chains
QUOTE(boxstr @ Dec 2 2006, 08:10 PM) *

A set of CAMP 914 Pilot lites.
Good luck and keep the club posted.
CCLINRUSTYTUB

Sweet. I'm going to be after a set of the tailights too at some point... piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.