Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dipstick length
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mattp
i just bought a 75 914 with a "remanufactured by VW of Canada" engine. It has a number on the new tag that does not correspond to anything. VW cant tell me what the numbers mean.
The dipstick in it seems to be too short, when full of oil the oil just reaches the bottem, I just got a new 1.8 dipastick and it is too long, it does not go all the way in?
Any ideas?
engine has fuel injextion, runs well, pulled plugs and found 2.0 plugs? Is there a difference between 1.8 and 2.0 dipsticks?
thanks
Howard
First of all, welcome.png
Next, I don't have an answer to your question.
But most importantly, if you keep posting things like 'Is my dipstick to short?' you're gonna get your ass kicked here. Big Time. happy11.gif happy11.gif
sww914
On my engine, the top of the dipstick tube was broken off long before I got it, and some DAPO who was actually pretty smart cut the dipstick down and scribed new marks on it in the right places, I know because I checked.
The dipstick tube should extend up beyond the top of the breather/filler stand a couple of inches, the part that is integral to the case, not the black part that comes off. It's hard for me to tell you exactly how high the tube goes since I don't have one, so clearly my dipstick is too short.
anthony
In this case I think I would fill up the engine with a known quantity of oil and make new marks.

I've also been wondering how hard is it to replace the tube that is in the case? I've got a case where the tube is bent a little.
ejm
Is there a difference between 1.8 and 2.0

same dipstick for both engines. the tube extends approx. 152 mm out of the case or 52 mm above the top of the case casting. reman engines sometimes fit multiple applications, does it have studs/blockoff's for a fuel pump or remote oil filler? what's the number of the tag?

mattp
that could be it! I measured from the case covering up and it is only 15mm, not 52. That is also about the amount the "stock" dipstick is too long by. thanks! It was really bugging me., Easy fix will be to fill to spec and cut and remark dipstick. Weird thing is the top of the dipstick tube is flared and rounded as if from the factory, not broken or rough or just cut???

Engine No. on tag is 85041, got any thoughts?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.