Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Last car buying thread I swear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
I can't beleive I still haven't bought a dam car. headbang.gif

OK I hate to admit it but I really love the way this car looks. The reviews for it are absolutely horrible. Of course now they are coming out with the 2007 GXP version.

It's a pretty amazing little car and the price is dirt cheap. Have a feeling the resale is also gonna be real good on this car down the line.

So I have never bought a new car and I am a bit concerned. I go to the POntiac website and the car comes out to around 30k with the options I want. I go to the dealer and it's 36k.

One dealer tells me it's a 5 month wait another says they can have it in 1 month. I certainly don't want to pick up a new convertible in the middle of winter. But if the guy was making up shit I don't want to put down money in Feb and find out I have to wait til summer is almost over.

Does anyone know anything about this??? Thanks
chrisg
hell, you can get a really nice used Boxster waaaaayyyy cheaper. And it has actual trunk room........ and it's a Boxster, not a Pontiac. I doubt the depreciation on a solitice will compare to that of a Boxster.While Boxsters have been dropping, Porsches seem to level off at a certain point. Pontiacs, well...............
STL914
You may want to consider looking at the Saturn Sky. It's based on the same chasis as the Solstice and from what I understand, had more features at a better price than the Pontiac.
GaroldShaffer
Its a neat looking car, but good luck if you want to use it for anything more than a sunny day driver. I drove one 4 months ago and it wasn't bad. My issue was there is NO trunk space, zero, zlich, nada. Yes there is a little cubby hole, but good luck trying to get anything more than a small bag in there. My B-inlaw wanted one real bad until he found out there is no room for his golf bag, unless he uses the passenger seat to hold it.

I would look for a nice boxster in that price range. YMMV smile.gif
GaroldShaffer
For 33k check out the Audi A3 AWD wagon. NICE car!!! You get AWD and 3.2 L V6
Also check out a Subaru WRX in the $25K range, STI is closer to $35K
Demick
I looked over the Solstace at the dealer. Fit and finish on the car was pretty poor. Also, the convertible top is very clumbsy, awkward, and time consuming to put up/down. I walked away convinced that a used Boxster was a much better deal.

Demick
type11969
Why would you think the resale value for a car that has horrible reviews is going to be good?

confused24.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(type11969 @ Dec 2 2006, 08:58 PM) *

Why would you think the resale value for a car that has horrible reviews is going to be good?

confused24.gif

The original with only 170 hp got bad reviews. The GXP has a better suspension and 260 hp. different cars really. Still under 30k. Even if I lose 15k on it I am still ahead of the game with any bmw or porsche. Since it's a very small number I would surprised to see it's value go below 20k.

Yes I realized there is absolutely no trunk space at all. Thats gonna be something I seriously have to consider since I know at some point it will be an issue.

New porsches are ugly. Like they say on Top Gear the designers are lazy. I'm not saying the solstice is perfect but it's really pretty.
Boojum
I dunno, the Pontiac is a really cute sunny day cruiser, and It's about as true to the sports car philosophy as any car, yet I don't think it cuts the mustard as a car that I'd want to drive every day. I'd be really excited to get in and drive any time, no doubt, but I'd probably be cursing the poor car in short order. I think I'd have to go out to the garage and stare at it. If I could have another car, it would be attractive to me.

If I had to have one car, but wanted something sporty that would be more forgiving and more comfortable as a daily driver, I'd be looking at an Audi TT, RX-8, R32 GTI, Slubaru, etc. Truthfully, I would be really, really tempted to go with a good Porsche 944 or 944 Turbo, bite the bullet on paying insurance for a Porsche, but still have money to use on other things... But I've always liked the 944.
Zimms
I am in the same boat. I really like the Solstice, and I think that the Ecotec powerplant was designed pretty well. GM also supports performance modifications of the Ecotec, and I would check that out before thinking that the 2.4 non turboed car is not what you are looking for.

What I do not like and that has been keeping me from getting one:

1) The advertised price versus what the dealers are offering. I do not care for nor will buy one with the premiums the dealers are selling them for. I do not understand how GM plans to build a loyal following by making a car I ould like to buy, and not having enough control over their supply chain to manufacture enough of them and to sell them at the list price at the dealer. I got the feeling I got one of these when I left the dealer finger.gif I am in my low 30's and would have paid cash.

2) I am curious about the quality/robustness in a year or two. I have never been accused of treating a car well, and so I want to see what problems pop up after these have been on the road for a year or two. My daily driver is a '99 Passat turbo, and this car has been great owned since new, sees the redline regularly, and has 180K miles and runs like a champ. I am having a hrad time looking for a new car because this one treats me well and the payments are great! biggrin.gif My wife has an '02 Grand Am with alf of the mileage, and I am putting a net on the back of to catch all of the parts that are falling off of it. Really dumb but very irritating items, too. Passenger window track BROKE ($200 in parts alone), computer goes apeshit sometimes when you back the car up - Dealer and 2 separate shops are unable to determine the root cause, and the anti theft has turned into an anti start twice, requiring a mechanic to drive to her location after shopping trips and reset it. Objectively, the car has a lot of power and drives well, but the devil is in the details, and I think the General did too much cost cutting on this platform.

3) For a daily driver, I have a small concern (non-existent if #1 & #2 were positives) with the amount of space. The local dealer would not take the time to open the trnk of one that was waiting for customer pickup, and I have to admit, '99 family car of the year has been quite handy when I am too lazy to go home and get the pickup. I have had 10 bails of shavings in the car, and 5 full sized adults car fit comfortably in it.

Long post, but I looked at these cars for a while and was very interested. I am now only Luke warm, and figure it may be a good future project once I get the 914 off og the jackstands. av-943.gif

grantsfo
I think the 260 HP is very seductive, however I really didnt like fit and finish of the car as others have mentioned. You would also be dealing with a new powerplant configuration in the car in its first model year. Trunk in the Solstice is rather useless.

Have you looked at the Mazda MX-5 PRHT? I think for East Coast the retractable hardtop would be perfect. Aftermarket for MX-5 is coming alve. I just bought coilovers for my wife's MX-5. Superchargers are just around the corner. The MX-5 with a few suspension tweaks can really move out on the track. I know a guy who is turning 1:47 laps at Laguna Seca in his mildly modified MX-5 (just differnt springs and shocks and a set of DOT R tires).

MX5 PRHT promo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZhqKeL4dZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPRh-lufTyg
sean_v8_914
as a car salesman I have learned:

People buy with emotion not logic. most people buy what pleases their eye followed by price. not many care or read the reviews (resale)

dealers get cars delivered to them based on how many they sold in teh past. a bigger volume dealer can get you the car faster

dealer will make a deal on a car that is IN INVENTORY NOW. it is almost imposible to get a price break on an ordered car. dealer will only really WORK to get you the car if you actually buy it first. if they take your deposit they are NOT ordering a car for you . they are only placing your name on a car that is allready alocated to them for future delivery( hence teh 1 month, 6 month timeline between dealers )

Saturns and Pontiacs have HORRIBLE reslae values. (less than 50% after 3 yrs)

resale value is what the public is willing to pay for a used car based on the company or models previous reliability history
sean_v8_914
PS> I really like the look of that car. I see them drive by on dealer row here every day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.