Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Member
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marc_hines
Howdy all!

I've been 'lurking' for a bit - but now I'm registered and ready to participate.

I aquired a 1975 914 (2.0 - yellow) a few weeks agos. I had in mind an earlier year vehicle - but this vehicle was so clean that I could not pass it up. It has about 75,000 miles on the body, and about 3,000 miles on a rebuilt engine.

The interior paint is original, while the exterior paint is an exact match of the original.

It does have a few flaws (no surprise).

(1) No original keys - and the copies that came with the vehicle were of the Valet key - so I cannot lock the dash or rear trunk (I got a full set of locks and original keys on ebay already, so I'll swap them out soon).

(2) PO lowered the vehicle by cutting the rear spring - which then clunked when the car was driven and and made the strut bolt sit too high in the rear trunk which made the targa top rub against the bottom of the trunk when stored there. The folks at Stuttgart Autotech in Lake Oswego are mending this now (with another 914 club members help at finding replacment spring perches).

(3) Drivers seatbelt does not retact well. So, I get a set from Automobile Atlanta VIA ebay for $172. The sent me two drivier side setbelts - not one of each. I'm working on getting that corrected (so far I am not impressed with them - they have yet to 'not mess up' my orders with them).

(4) Dash pad has cracks and is faded.

It's fun to drive - I am looking forward to refreshing the interior and then enjoying the spring, summer and fall tooling about in it.

Marc...
SirAndy
welcome! smilie_pokal.gif

can't say it often enough, you've come to the right place! cool.gif
Andy
Eric Taylor
Hey welcome to the board! You will soon find yourself addicted, and at a loss if the server ever goes down. Oh yeah good luck with auto atlanta wink.gif .
Eric
rick 918-S
Welcome, Seems like several 914's from your state. Good luck with Auto Atlanta! Enjoy and post often. post pics of your car.
McMark
Hello!

Show me the car! (read: Show me the money!)
IPB Image

Sounds like you picked up a great driver. Have fun! clap56.gif
marc_hines
I'm attemting to attach an image... Bear with me (Newbie)...
Brad Roberts
Looks good to me.

Welcome to the BBS.

B
marc_hines
Rear View...
Curvie Roadlover
Nice car. Love them bumpers! Welcome. smilie_flagge6.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Marc:
Never buy from A.A., use anybody else! You haven't lurked aroung here enough. Most of us have horror stories about our encounters with that Company. But good luck!!!!!
Let us know. BTW very nice car. there a lot of fun. Some times
a PITA, but that ends at the first curve you take with your accelerator flat on the floor. Dave smilie_flagge6.gif
rhodyguy
good looking car and welcome. i can't IMAGINE you had a problem with aa ohmy.gif . just register at their forum and ask the doctor why after "serving the 914 community for 25 years" they can't tell the dif between a drivers side seat belt and a pass.

kevin
"can i put you on hold for a minute?"
kafermeister
QUOTE(marc_hines @ Nov 14 2003, 01:58 AM)
(1) No original keys - and the copies that came with the vehicle were of the Valet key - so I cannot lock the dash or rear trunk (I got a full set of locks and original keys on ebay already, so I'll swap them out soon).

(4) Dash pad has cracks and is faded.

Marc...

Hi Marc, welcome to the club/board. wavey.gif

Nice car! I'm partial to the 3rd Gen 914s any so the fact that it's a '75 doesn't bother me at all. Bumpers are fairly easy to back date if the earlier style suits you.

As for keys....
There was a discussion a while back on one of the boards (here or Rennlist, I forget), where it was determined that boths are cut the same. One key, however, has a shoulder (or lack of) that keeps it from fitting all of the locks. I may have that backwards. Anyway, the moral of the story here is that both keys are cut the same. The blanks themselves are different.

You've probably already determined that dash tops are expensive. If it bothers you, find a used one. Expect to pay just under half price for a good used dash as what you would pay for a new one. I have been told that new dash tops are between $400 and $500. Expect to pay between $200 and $250 for a good used dash. Anything under $200 can be considered a good find. FWIW, the new replacements do have the proper grain for the late 914s if you're interested in being 'correct'. Most of the folks on this board are more interested in functionality and driving. driving.gif

Rick
'76 2.0
'75 1.8 (kafermeister special)
'69 Beetle (avatar)
JFJ914

Don't change the locks, way too much work when your local Porsche dealer can cut you a set on genuine blanks for x$9 each.
Porsche Rescue
Welcome Marc. Look forward to meeting you and seeing your car up close. I suspect Mike Jordan sent you to my friend and neighbor Craig for spring parts. It's good to live near Camp 914. I have a good used dash pad when you are ready. It is not perfect but very good.

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.