Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hayne's manual diagram
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mudfoot76
So I've got my car up on jackstands like a proper 914 should be right now. Yesterday I finally had time to look into why the oil filters keep blowing out.

Click here to catch up

So I've got out my trusty Hayne's manual, looking for the oil pressure relief valves. The one that is in the oil filter mount moves freely. I can tell the spring is still intact. So I look at this diagram:
Click to view attachment

The manual doesn't have what I would consider very good pictures of the check valves. I can find the one at the oil filter, but where is the one at the oil pressure sender? I suspect that might be the culprit I am looking for. Do I need to remove the cooling shrouds?

Thanks!!
bd1308
look for the HUGE copper looking plug thing with a flathead on it, that be your port

there's one in the filter console, its a ball bearing

and then theres a twelve point plug on the alternator side of the engine, between the mid set of pushrod tubes.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Dec 3 2006, 08:26 PM) *

look for the HUGE copper looking plug thing with a flathead on it, that be your port

there's one in the filter console, its a ball bearing

and then theres a twelve point plug on the alternator side of the engine, between the mid set of pushrod tubes.

right on britt!

yep... for the 12 point one.. use a 3/8" drive EXTENSION and no socket. it fits perfect!

for the BIG slotted cap.. you will need a 1" wide 'drag link' tool.

took me a while to get it. i got directly under it... with a t handle to macimize stability and broke it loose...

AA
John
Have you acually hooked up a real pressure gauge to it to find out how much pressure you are running?

You may want to check those pressure relief pistons you are referring to (the big one may be stuck), but I believe that you may have a plugged oil cooler or something similar.

Sears sells "Drag Link" sockets.

You may have to remove some lower shrouds/tin.
mudfoot76
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Dec 3 2006, 11:59 PM) *

You may want to check those pressure relief pistons you are referring to (the big one may be stuck), but I believe that you may have a plugged oil cooler or something similar.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! No, I have not yet hooked up an external pressure gauge. I wanted to check the relief valves first before trying to start the motor again. From what I can see, if the cooler is plugged up, wouldn't that have caused a leak at the oil cooler mounting instead of blowing out my oil filter?

I'll have to go buy a drag link socket. Now where do I find the "big copper looking plug thing"? Near the filter mount, there was what looked like a large flat-head screwhead, but it wasn't copper. Is this the one that the manual describes as fragile and to be careful not to scratch the bore?
Dave_Darling
That's probably it...

BTW, the valve between the pushrod tube bores, the one with the 12-point plug, is not there in every 914 engine.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.