Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 25 hours of Thunderhill
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
DanT
Lost N spaced finishes 2nd place.

That is now a 2nd in 2004 1st in 2005 and 2nd in 2006.

Privately funded all amatuer racer team...

3 of the 4 drivers are current/former GGR TTers and AXers.

2 of the 3 drivers have been TTing/Axing for the same amount of time I have.

Pretty good considering there were over 50 cars this year. Many of factory teams including 2 factory backed BMW turbo diesels.
Many many professional drivers in very fast cars...but they couldn't beat a 32 year old street legal 911. biggrin.gif

nebreitling
been reading the blogs all day. it's always fun for me to hear about the attrition rate!

congrats to lost n space. i look foward to hearing more about how they pulled off yet another podium. it's phenomenal that they have even finished three years in a row -- much less on podium.

o'connell racing took first in a flawlessly prepared and driven GT3. but then again, what would you expect when you put Craig Stanton, Jason Bowles, and Greg Fordahl in the same office?
Trekkor
Finally, the results.

it was very exicting see so much of the race.

How many laps down were team "L 'N S" from the winner?

KT
DanT
It wasn't even close
I think they were back like 60-70 laps.

The first place GT3 cup car ran away from the field with little if any down time for repairs.

I am just amazed that a group of amatuers with a 32 year old street legal 911 have finished in the top 2 places 3 years in a row. when well funded factory teams from various other manufacturers can't even finish the race.

pretty interesting stuff.....and I personally know 3 of the 4 drivers, and many of the team members...if not all of them... biggrin.gif
nebreitling

How many laps down were team "L 'N S" from the winner?

KT

don't know, but according to C and D, lost n space finished 120 miles behind o'connell, so that's like ~40 laps.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/12123...r-update-6.html
Trekkor
From what i can see, O'Connel logged 705 laps to "L 'n S" 674...

705 is a new record for total laps at the 25.

KT
Brad Roberts
Tough one for me..

Congrats to Masuo and team for second!, but I have spent more time around Stanton/Fordahl clap56.gif

I talked to Fordahl on Wednesday evening before the race. He was ecstatic!

Cool piece of inside info: Betim Berisha used to work for Fordahl (one of the 5 drivers they had) Betim last work with MattR at Porsche Motorsports.

Fordahl paid for his seat by supplying tires for the event.

Betim brought on a clothing sponsor (you have seen me wear "Hazardous" shirts/vest's)

I think Betim is 25 yo now?? Pretty crazy.

I searched all over for results.. couldnt find a damn thing on NASA's site?? WTF

B
Brad Roberts
Dan failed to mention the late 1995 (or later) 993 3.6 liter engine in that early lightweight 911 chassis biggrin.gif Not sure if they did a G50 in it or not (probably not)

B
Brad Roberts
Damn.. my buddy (and multiple 914 owner) Richard Hatfield (owner of Alliance Financial) took 3rd.

Something is wrong. I personally know multiple drivers in the top 3 cars?? blink.gif

I think I will persue a seat next year biggrin.gif

B
Trekkor
http://www.shedracing.com/2006_25hours

9th place team, 2nd in class on...710's.
They got 7 hours on their first set and were turning 2:08-10's the whole race.

IPB Image

KT
Trekkor
Rich Walton with "L 'n S", said they were running the same car as last year.
Just "refreshed" the engine. He said it makes 250hp and the car is 2400#'s...On Toyo RA-1's!!

Sounds like a 3 liter.

A 3.6 on race slicks might have been the race winner for this team. confused24.gif

KT
Trekkor
I think I will persue a seat next year

I would love to see a "914Club" sponsored entry.

What class would "The Beast" or Scott Y's car fall into in the 25?

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 4 2006, 08:52 AM) *

Dan failed to mention the late 1995 (or later) 993 3.6 liter engine in that early lightweight 911 chassis biggrin.gif Not sure if they did a G50 in it or not (probably not)

B

Sounds like a good combo for an endurance car. Allows for drivers to drive a fast car without punishing motor. I can see how something like this would work well. Lighter weight car easier on brakes/tires, less fuel usage, motor put under less stress. Then its just a matter of survival and minimizing times in pits.
grantsfo
QUOTE(trekkor @ Dec 4 2006, 09:04 AM) *

On Toyo RA-1's!!

A 3.6 on race slicks might have been the race winner for this team. confused24.gif

KT

I'm thinking RA1's might be a good choice for endurance racing. They heat cycle better than a lot of tires and last forever in comparison to slicks.
DanT
QUOTE(trekkor @ Dec 4 2006, 09:04 AM) *

Rich Walton with "L 'n S", said they were running the same car as last year.
Just "refreshed" the engine. He said it makes 250hp and the car is 2400#'s...On Toyo RA-1's!!

Sounds like a 3 liter.

KT

the motor in LNS is a 3.6 built on an older case...built by Matt Lowrance....one of his lower HP motors...built for longevity. The car was originally built to be Louise's street legal AX car so she could drive it to event. Since she and Masuo already have the tube framed 993 body worked race car. biggrin.gif

Last I saw the car still had full registration for the street.
No matter what motor the car has in it....it is amazing to me that a narrow body (SC flares) running Stock Fuchs Alloys and RA-1s manages to stay atop the leader board when running against factory backed teams with much newer hardware. blink.gif
A testament to the build team, pit crew, and the fact that all 4 of the drivers can drive the track blindfolded....basically their home track.
Brad Roberts
No doubt, what they pulled off last year and what they did this year was CRAZY!

It appears most of the factory backed cars didnt do too well?? The Honda's/BMW's/Mazda's crashed or broke it appears.

I wouldnt consider the OLD GT3 cup car to be "factory backed".. The team owner is the only one with money..LOL I know the rest of them...

Trekkor,

the thought has been a 1.7 914 well prepared. No joke.. or Boxster..LOL

B
Trekkor
full registration for the street

Yep, they took the license plate off in the paddock biggrin.gif

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE(trekkor @ Dec 4 2006, 09:00 AM) *

9th place team, 2nd in class on...710's.
They got 7 hours on their first set and were turning 2:08-10's the whole race.

KT

Trekkor, 710's are not track tires! av-943.gif
Trekkor
Rumor in the paddock, the winner had $160,000 in the car.

If a 914 runs the 25, I want in on the crew boldblue.gif

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 4 2006, 09:31 AM) *

No doubt, what they pulled off last year and what they did this year was CRAZY!

It appears most of the factory backed cars didnt do too well?? The Honda's/BMW's/Mazda's crashed or broke it appears.

I wouldnt consider the OLD GT3 cup car to be "factory backed".. The team owner is the only one with money..LOL I know the rest of them...

Trekkor,

the thought has been a 1.7 914 well prepared. No joke.. or Boxster..LOL

B

I'm thinking a lotus Exige would be the ticket or how about a Toyota Yaris Cup car with a supercharger. Both of these Toyota powered cars sip gas, are fairly easy on tires and brakes and have bullet proof motors.
Trekkor
710's are not track tires!

Kuhmo provided $3500 worth of 710's and some Victoracers as rains.

I was very interested to talk to the drivers about their impression of the tires.

They ALL loved them. They couldn't believe how well they stuck.
I saw ( touched ) the takeoff's from the first 7 hour stint. The left front was chunked and corded, but the rest looked just like mine do now.
A little into the wear bars.

I think they actually cycled the first tires back into the rotation.

710's are really good.
I'll be running on Sunday at TH. I want to put my 710's against my Hoosier's throughout the day for time comparison.

KT
Brad Roberts
Trekkor, 710's are not track tires!

Let me know how many sets they went through.

I'll let you know how many Hoosiers people went through.

B
Brad Roberts
Rumor in the paddock, the winner had $160,000 in the car.

Of course he did.. that is what a "freshened" cup car sells for!! when they are 3 years old biggrin.gif

B
Trekkor
The left front was chunked and corded

My mistake, it was the right front.
They only used two sets of 710's for the race.

They did use the takeoff rears as right fronts later.

KT
DanT
well I guess that makes my decision for me....

new fresh 710s for next season... burnout.gif burnout.gif biggrin.gif
nebreitling
i was actually surprised how cheap a number of seats went for. i heard a number of seats going for 2500~ish. i'd love to do this.

what would it take to run a 914 1.7?

prepped car $10k
numerous parts, 1 complete parts car $1.5k
3 1.7 engines/transaxles (ready to drop/replace) $1.5k
2 sets of tires $1k
fuel, brake pads/rotors, misc: $1k
914club labor: $0

turning 2:25's when the rest of the field is turning 2:05's.... priceless

'course, at lot easier to just run a miata....
jgara962
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Dec 4 2006, 06:56 PM) *

turning 2:25's when the rest of the field is turning 2:05's.... priceless

'course, at lot easier to just run a miata....

That's exactly it, you would be running 2:25's and running hard to do that in a 1.7L. Our Integra was running conservative 2:10's in E2.

We were pitted next to a team running a Datsun 240Z, and at about 3:00 a.m. found myself thinking about how a 914 with big 6 would do against the 911's in the fastest class. If anything, it would be great to see a 914 out there running around.
Brad Roberts
The whole idea would be a "club" activity.

I know what chassis/car we could use "Julius" the orange car I built several years ago.

4 sets of tires..
2 engines stock injected
2 tranny's (MSX boxes)

Yes a 6 cyl car would be more fun... but engines/tranny's would cost alot aftewards. We would just EBAY the 1.7's afterwards!!

Not sure what size tires they were running Trek (710's) but the math doesnt add up to $3500 if they only ran two sets and were "sponsored" by Kuhmo.

B
Trekkor
They ran 205/50/15's

they had sets of Victoracer's, too, which they did not use, in case it rained.

They must have had 24 tires available...I'll inquire some more from another driver of Team Kuhmo.

KT

DanT
QUOTE(trekkor @ Dec 4 2006, 09:38 PM) *

They ran 205/50/15's

they had sets of Victoracer's, too, which they did not use, in case it rained.

They must have had 24 tires available...I'll inquire some more from another driver of Team Kuhmo.

KT

would they like to unload any of those unused tires?

I know a car or two that could run those sizes biggrin.gif
Trekkor
The Miata normally runs Toyos for spec racing.
I wonder if those tires could be had idea.gif

KT
Trekkor
If a 914 does run next year. It would be really great if someone with a wireless laptop was broadcasting live updates/video/interviews to the clubsite.

this is something that was lacking this year.

KT

BTW, a 25 hour track car should have 3.0 SIX or a Raby special
( sponsored ) wink.gif

DanT
big bore short stroker....stump pulling torque...
Built for longevity Raby motor....that would get him some recognition.

we would need to get at least 5 or 6 of us licensed in Nasa to do W2W.

Tony C full cage to suspension pick up points.

the mind runs wild...if LNS can give it a shot with a 30+ year old car then I guess the 914 crowd could too.

Couldn't do any worse than alot of those factory backed ricers did. biggrin.gif
nine14cats
I've talked to a few folks about mounting a 914Club entry. We have enough race drivers in the paddock to try it out.

My thoughts were to run a 1.7 narrow body car. We could bring 2 or 3 engines/ tranny combos and assorted bits. A 1.7 car would run ~2:35's in traffic, maybe 2:30's. We could run in daylight, shut down in the evening, all go have dinner and a movie, come back and watch for a while then go back to the hotel and sleep in a nice WARM bed and start back up at first light in the morning.

When we're done, we just gather up our bits and leave.

It's doable, but I think if we wanted to do it budget conscious and plan it right, we would target for the 2008 event, not next year's.

Bill P.
DanT
OK, Bill,

are we going to totally redo the GGR points system or are we going to build a 25 hour car? biggrin.gif

Trekkor
Talk about "the dark side"... lol2.gif

KT
DanT
QUOTE(trekkor @ Dec 4 2006, 10:33 PM) *

Talk about "the dark side"... lol2.gif

KT

Trek, it is only really Dark for about 6-8 hours. biggrin.gif

Trekkor
True.

I will support any 914 entry.

KT
KenH
OK – Lets think about this.

Reference: 2:25 lap times for the full 25 Hours = 619 laps

Reality – Pit stops, Etc.:

24 Hours = 595 laps

23 Hours = 570 laps

22 Hours = 545 laps

That’s up to 3 hours of down time.

If you check the scoring shown at http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=317973

These times would put the car in the middle of the pack – which would not be a bad showing for a vintage 914.

If it was a 2.0 the number of laps would even be better.

Ken
jgara962
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Dec 4 2006, 10:14 PM) *

We could run in daylight, shut down in the evening, all go have dinner and a movie, come back and watch for a while then go back to the hotel and sleep in a nice WARM bed and start back up at first light in the morning.

Bill P.

Now you're talking biggrin.gif
Trekkor
*Update*

The #68 team Kuhmo, used 3 sets of the 710's of the four sets given them and did not use any of the Victo's.

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE(trekkor @ Dec 5 2006, 08:52 AM) *

*Update*

The #68 team Kuhmo, used 3 sets of the 710's of the four sets given them and did not use any of the Victo's.

KT

Very impressive for an "AX" tire. ...Or should I say a soft compound road race tire now?
Trekkor

Fun write-up and pictures.

KT
Brad Roberts
Their blistering problem is EXACTLY what ALL of who have ran them have found.

I totally agree they kick ass.. they just dont last on the HEAVY cars. They appear to work just fine on the lighter cars (which is want I was pointing out many months ago) We also have NO idea if they were running what they ship. When we run these types of events.. we "get" unmarked tires that are typically "test" tires if we are sponsored.

B
Brad Roberts
Bill,

It can easily be done for 07.

We have the people. We have the talent. We have the resources.

I have multiple cars to choose from.. to build..

Julius is ready to go. It needs an engine. I have the MSX trans.

It already has TC Design cage and is SCCA legal.

The hardest part: the seat has to be movable..

B
Brad Roberts
We could also build my lightweight car. I planned it to be a narrow body car with HPH flares I have already bought.

I also have a MSX LSD tranny (that we talked about)

I cant afford the engine for it...

B
Brad Roberts
If we build something.. and not "borrow" a chassis. It would be for sale after the event so we could recover.

We built the 993 we ran last year in several months prior to the event. It was only tested one time by ME at Willow Springs prior to the 25hr. I found the gearbox problem, but it wasnt correctly repaired (which is why we lost)

FYI:

It "cost" 20k to run that car at the event. We had 2 paying drivers + Randy + Craig+Betim. This included the RV rental, entry fees, hotel, food, gas, plus $300 to each crew member.

Trekkor saw our pit area last year. We know how to do it. I can get a MONSTER 5th wheel with generator/heaters/work area. If I show up.. I'm going to show up PRO (even with a 914)

Here is Julius during Thill testing (I was testing different cooling openings. It has an airdam)

B
grantsfo
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 5 2006, 11:10 AM) *

We could also build my lightweight car. I planned it to be a narrow body car with HPH flares I have already bought.

I also have a MSX LSD tranny (that we talked about)

I cant afford the engine for it...

B

I'd pay for a driving seat in something like this which could be used to pay for part of a motor. By 2008 I should have some W2W under my belt. If I was involved I could probably muster some decent sponsorship as well.

I'd be very interested in helping to make this happen.
Brad Roberts
NASA requires that you run a couple of events prior to the race, but I know for a fact that Betim didnt run ANY NASA events all year. He just has a NASA license from Seattle.

I would pee my pants waiting for 08...LOL We could all NASA license at the same event. I'm ready with the Boxster "tomorrow" if need be.

I wouldnt even have to drive the event.. I could get a couple of other SCCA E-Prod guys like Ron Wicker as our "shoe" or even Bontempi depending on how much he weighs right now..LOL

Ron would pay + plus bring trailer. He is out of Napa.

Figure 5 drivers (or even 6 if you want to run all night)

B
Mueller
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 4 2006, 08:58 AM) *

Damn.. my buddy (and multiple 914 owner) Richard Hatfield (owner of Alliance Financial) took 3rd.

Something is wrong. I personally know multiple drivers in the top 3 cars?? blink.gif

I think I will persue a seat next year biggrin.gif

B

Did Hatfield drive??

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.