Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 racing territory?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
well i know that a 914 does pretty well in racing because of it's mid engine layout.....good weight balance. That all makes sense if you autocross or do circuits but what about landspeed? this past summer i was at El Mirage dry lake and happened to see a raced out orange 914. this doesnt seem like one of the best cars to use on a lakebed...now does it...and if i recall correctly, it didnt have a flat four in it. why wouldn't he/she (the driver) choose something more aerodynamic?

just curious
huh.gif
Alfred
The 914's coefficient of drag is around 0.36 which is better than its 911 contemporaries.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....rag+coefficient

Alfred
airsix
I've also seen a 914 running in LSR events. Not sure what class. I wasn't there - just saw pictures. Somewhere around here I've got an issue of Excellence (I think it was Excellence) that has a write up on a 356 that is the current (as of late '90's) 2000cc land speed record holder (in it's particular class).

-Ben M.
Aaron Cox
but there are also other cars that have a CD less than .36 - but they were also not designed in the 60's.....how about a vw karmann ghia, anyone know the CD for that, they are sorta aerodynamic also? clap56.gif
airsix
Are you saying the Karman Ghia IS aerodynamic, or that it LOOKS like it PROBABLY is aerodynamic? Looks can be decieving. The Porsche 928 has the highest drag of any Porsche design, yet it LOOKS like the most aerodynamic. The 914 might be boxy, but it has a very small frontal area which is key. I'm not saying it's the best design for a LSR project, but I'm sure it's not the worst.
-Ben
Zeke
I think if one were to cut off the windsield and cover the cockpit leaving just enough room for the driver's head to stick out and slam the thing to the ground with full skirts and smoooooth front end, it would be pretty aerodynamically clean. Put in a 9000 rpm 2L flat six and you might have a 2 litre contender.
Aaron Cox
MY EYES HATH BEEN DECIEVED! ok...so low and a small front end are key......
URY914
Have a look...
URY914
And the 356
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.