Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: this is why we HATE sandblasting ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
my car was sandblasted 9 month ago. this is a pic from this afternoon after driving the car for about 30 minutes.

I HATE SAND ...
SirAndy
nuther
SirAndy
if you look closer you can also see that the car is LEAKING.
god dammit, all new seals and it's like a swimming pool in there ...

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
Andy
redshift
SON OF A BEACH!

smile.gif

I'm laughing at the sand, I'd never laugh at rain.

M
McMark
In another 4 years we will have redesigned every damn part on these cars and we'll barely be able to call them 914s. But they'll be damn nice cars. IMHO, it's all worth it. These cars are my life and I'm very happy about that. pray.gif
Andyrew
I love vacumes..
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 13 2003, 10:44 PM)
I love vacumes..

ewh, that's sick ... icon8.gif
boxsterfan
There is that much sand left over from the blasting? Would the same result occur if you were using plastic beads or walnut shells as the media for the blasting?
SirAndy
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Nov 14 2003, 11:38 AM)
There is that much sand left over from the blasting? Would the same result occur if you were using plastic beads or walnut shells as the media for the blasting?

it's everywhere!!!
in the cracks, so to speak. i don't think a different media would make a difference unless the particles are much bigger ...
i have cleaned out the car countless times, still no end in sight. fighting19.gif

Andy
J P Stein
The sand in mine shook out in a year or 2.laugh.gif
Still, there is NO WAY I would acid dip.
GWN7
Guy gets free sand and he complains....... cool.gif beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Nov 14 2003, 12:23 PM)
Guy gets free sand and he complains....... cool.gif

i paid for it!
Engman
Ah - the gift that keeps on giving.......... lol3.gif

M
r_towle
Stop driving on the beach dude, get a dune buggy for that!!
scottb
andy

as a gesture for the holidays, i am willing to drive your car through the new england winter here in western massachusetts. have it delivered to my house and i am certain that a few months of slush, salt and snow will wash that sand right out. i will send it back with a nice tree air freshener in the odor of your choosing. i feel so good when i am giving..... wub.gif
David_S
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 14 2003, 01:58 PM)
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Nov 14 2003, 11:38 AM)
There is that much sand left over from the blasting?  Would the same result occur if you were using plastic beads or walnut shells as the media for the blasting?

it's everywhere!!!
in the cracks, so to speak. i don't think a different media would make a difference unless the particles are much bigger ...
i have cleaned out the car countless times, still no end in sight. fighting19.gif

Andy

agree.gif
When I stripped my wife's 73 3 years ago, I sandblasted it. Spent 2 weeks blowing out everylittle nook and cranny, and to this day I can spend a few minutes tapping on it with my hand and have little piles of sand everywhere! About 2 years ago I had a 65 mustang convertible media blasted with plastic media, and same thing, just bigger particles. If I can keep from it, I will NEVER have anything blasted again!!!!
tracks914
I blasted mine...all the exterior anyway, only to find some PO had used a grinder on 2/3s of the car. Problem is he didn't always stop when he got to bare metal. It took that much more filler to do a good job. It had lots of nicks and scratches in the steel. headbang.gif

In the end, I would blast again over sanding or grinding. ar15.gif
tracks914
Pictures are always nice to look at.
mikey
I think I probably have the same thing to look forward to.

When I had mine on the rotisserie upside-down I was able to blast out more sand than when it was on its wheels.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mikey @ Nov 14 2003, 08:09 PM)
When I had mine on the rotisserie upside-down I was able to blast out more sand than when it was on its wheels.

yepp. after you get it back you might want to spend a few nights at the shop banging on your car ...

grrrrr,
Andy
Mueller
I was thinking that if I blasted my car, I could put the chassis on the trailer and drive around on real bumpy roads for few hundred miles(put extra air in the trailer tires to make them nice and hard).....with the chassis banging around so much, it should get most of the sand out in a short time smash.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 14 2003, 08:17 PM)
I was thinking that if I blasted my car, I could put the chassis on the trailer and drive around on real bumpy roads for few hundred miles(put extra air in the trailer tires to make them nice and hard).....with the chassis banging around so much, it should get most of the sand out in a short time smash.gif

nope. brad trailered my car around half of CA after the blasting. that was 9 f***g month ago!
and i still have sand coming out.

grrrrrrrrr ...
seanery
I talked to a shop around here about your car Andy. He told me that if I had him do a car they would put it on a spit and vacum and spin the car until it was (as good as he could get it) done. Was that done to your car?
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ Nov 14 2003, 09:35 PM)
Was that done to your car?

they did clean it out (don't know the exact procedure).
when we got it from the sandblaster, it was clean. the bodyshop painted it. it was clean. we trailered it back to the shop (80+ miles) and it was DIRTY. and hasn't stopped leaking sand since.

Andy
URY914
I have the same problem after I've been at the beach. I just take an air compressor with a small hose on the end and BLOW ME! w00t.gif
GWN7
Mabey it's one of your buddys putting sand in your car for you. They can see how much you like it wink.gif

Mike M, trailer it up here, all our roads are bumpy. There's 3 pothole in my street that I called about getting fixed last year. Still there. sad.gif
Mueller
I have the same problem after I've been at the beach.

hey, it's better to go to the beach and get some sand then get crabs laugh.gif
Joe Ricard
Didn't think I would get anything from this thread. BUt I now feel getting my 928 painted will be MINUS sand blasting. Unless the pieces come off like fenders and can be cleaned easily.

Maybe chemical stripper to remove two layers of paint. Original and one shitty one.
McMark
I was be nervous blasting a 928 anyway because of the aluminium panels.
Joe Ricard
Fenders doors hood are aluminum. I was told plastic media or walnut shell?. roof, hatch, rear fenders are steel, and of course the plastic bumper caps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.