Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torque Wrench Recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
I need a recommendation on a torque wrench. I'm thinking 3/8 drive will suffice with a range between ~ 10-80flt/lbs. This will be used for regular maintanance, not really rebuilding engines. I've been reading to stay away from Craftsman because they break...true/false. I don't have to have the best/shiniest, but I don't want to spend my money on junk.

If you use one, what do you use? Do I really need one?

Got one you wanna sell? PM me too.

Kev
SGB
A lot of the torque specs are really low for the 914. Prolly won't need to exceed 45 or 50 ft-lbs. I have learned that my 10-80 model can be expected to be pretty inacurate (reading low) at lower torque values, and thats where we need accuracy.
jasons
QUOTE(kconway @ Dec 4 2006, 09:21 AM) *

I need a recommendation on a torque wrench. I'm thinking 3/8 drive will suffice with a range between ~ 10-80flt/lbs. This will be used for regular maintanance, not really rebuilding engines. I've been reading to stay away from Craftsman because they break...true/false. I don't have to have the best/shiniest, but I don't want to spend my money on junk.

If you use one, what do you use? Do I really need one?

Got one you wanna sell? PM me too.

Kev

I bought two Craftsmans a while back when I had the same questions. I don't know if they are good or bad, I just knew they were better than the junky one I had and, Sears is a block from my house. A Husky from Home Depot is probably just as good/bad. Usually, I only worry about torque on engine parts and such. If you have Fuchs with alloy lugnuts, you may want to use the Torque Wrench on them.

Whatever you buy, zero it when you are done, don't store it set to a torque value.

Oh and, they are not accurate within 10-20% at the ends of their range.
Chris Pincetich
My Craftsman is as old as the car, and I KNOW the low values are way off. I set it to 15lbs to tighted exhaust studs, put in on the lug bolts, then had to pull real hard to get the click, WAY over 15lbs. I still use it for lug bolts, and for the extra leverage.

I too am shopping for a new torque wrench, a micro- torque wrench. Hopefully 5-50 lbs, less than $100, and easily ordered via internet so it can go on the Xmas list that I have been requested to compile.

Any suggestions?? beerchug.gif

jhadler
Craftsman click-type torque werenches: Not worth it, even for free.

Husky and S/K are very good click-wrenches for a fraction of the cost of a Snap-On. I have an S/K 3/8 drive, and I like it.

From all that I've encountered, for doing precision work, unless you get your wrench re-calibrated often, go with a torsion beam wrench. They don't go bad, and they don't break.

BTW, The Husky and S/K I believe are made by the same company.

-Josh2
jd74914
IIRC Husky are made in the USA

I also econd the tortion bean for low torque numbers. They never wear out or become innacurate (unless you bend the beam, but thats not the wrench's fault).
biosurfer1
does anyone know what kind jake used in his type IV rebuild video?
type47
the husky hand tools, i think including the torque wrenches, are lifetime warranty, unlike Craftsman. you do have to keep your receipt as a proof of purchase and it's not an over-the-counter exchange like sears but sears torque wrenches are NOT lifetime warranty even though they are a "hand tool". husky air tools are lifetime warranty too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.