Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dealer selling codes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
MGS 914
Can anybody help me locate a Porsche dealer by the dealer selling code? I'm trying to research the selling dealer of my 914. The dealer code is "422 B02". from 1974. Thanks
911quest
I might be wrong but is actually an Audi dealer code They are broken up in regions I know here in Kentucky we are 403 not that helps any but maybe something to work with
MGS 914
QUOTE(911quest @ Jan 7 2007, 08:30 PM) *

I might be wrong but is actually an Audi dealer code They are broken up in regions I know here in Kentucky we are 403 not that helps any but maybe something to work with

Thanks Ill try looking in that direction, even Porsche car north america can't (or wont)help me. you came up with a good idea that makes sense.
73Phoenix20
IIRC, the Porsche Dealer Directory booklets that were given out with the sale of the cars back in those days had the dealer code numbers listed with each dealer. I don't have mine with me, but someone on this Forum might have one!
Porsche Rescue
I have a dealer booklet from '76 but no dealer #'s listed.
JeffBowlsby
I checked my dealer listing pamphlet from 1974, no dealer numebrs there either.
Pat Garvey
Afraid I'm no help either. Got my '72 from Classic P/A in Cincinnati, dealer 403-A08. My delivery doc's only show the distributors ('72). My original dealer changed to Moser P/A in the mid-70's & became Beechmont P/A thereafter ( & today). So, the 403 code must have applied to southern Ohio & Kentucky (probably Indiana too).

I know this doesn't help you, but it's history. If you need a distributor of the period, I have them - but no codes.
Pat
davep
Where did you get the code from? I've looked through my Dealer listing book, and none have codes. I thought perhaps the windshield stickers might show something, but nothing like that.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Jan 12 2007, 11:26 PM) *

Where did you get the code from? I've looked through my Dealer listing book, and none have codes. I thought perhaps the windshield stickers might show something, but nothing like that.

Dave,

Got it from by bill of sale. Also, every early maintenance record shows the dealer code.

Do you mean to tell me that I got one up on YOU? Woohoo, another glass of Cabernet for me beertender! This stuff works!

Ok, It's friday night - I'm allowed!
911quest
Just another idea Audi/Vw use the same dealer code system if you have a local dealer you might get them to help look up the number.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 12 2007, 11:17 PM) *

Afraid I'm no help either. Got my '72 from Cronin's P/A in Cincinnati, dealer 403-A08. My delivery doc's only show the distributors ('72). My original dealer changed to Moser P/A in the mid-70's & became Beechmont P/A thereafter ( & today). So, the 403 code must have applied to southern Ohio & Kentucky (probably Indiana too).

I know this doesn't help you, but it's history. If you need a distributor of the period, I have them - but no codes.
Pat

Did some additional digging & came up with this:
My original dealer (Classic P/A - Cincinnati) was code 403-A05 - this was 1972
Classic P/A was sold in '73 & became Cronin's P/A, code 403-A17
Cronin's P/A was sold in '76 & became Moser P/A, code 403-A18
Dealer codes disappeared from service invoices in 1977 (mine, at least)

Now, this should really muddy things up. In 1988 I bought an Audi that had been originally delivered to a dealer in Dublin, Ohio - code 403-A05!

I suspect the first 3 characters applied to either a zone or distributor (same distributor for Ohio & Kentucky at least until the mid-70's - may not have ever changed as far as I know). The distributor for Ohio/Ky during that period was in Dublin, Ohio (MIDVO).

So, I'm just as confused as when I started digging - how can I have the same dealer number in 1972 and 1988, when 2 different dealers were involved? Was there a re-alignment somewhere during the years? Does it even matter?
911quest
This isn't the gospel but the way I understand it the dealer in Dublin (Columbus) was Midwestern Auto Group this used to be the midwest distributor for Vw/Audi
and back then that was the channels that Porsche was sold thru what happen they probably absorbed the Cinncinatti dealer at one time or something to that extent I beleieve what happend is at some point VW came thru and bought all of the distributors out and started VWoA

I will call my friend at the dealer tomorrow and see if I can get the dealer name from the code if it is still around
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(911quest @ Jan 14 2007, 10:01 PM) *

This isn't the gospel but the way I understand it the dealer in Dublin (Columbus) was Midwestern Auto Group this used to be the midwest distributor for Vw/Audi
and back then that was the channels that Porsche was sold thru what happen they probably absorbed the Cinncinatti dealer at one time or something to that extent I beleieve what happend is at some point VW came thru and bought all of the distributors out and started VWoA

I will call my friend at the dealer tomorrow and see if I can get the dealer name from the code if it is still around

You're partially on the right track. Dublin (a suburb of Columbus) was home to Midwestern Volkswagen Corp - known in the mid-70's as MIDVO. It was a distributor for P/A, as well as a training & tech center for Porsche, Audi and VW. It was also a storage point for unordered cars and parts. But, it was not a dealer site. Been there many times, as they were good benefactors of Ohio Valley Region, PCA (of which I was pres for 4 years, among many other positions). Now, there may have been a separate dealership in the Dublin area, but I do not remember.

I also know that the Cincy dealer was never absorbed by Porsche, Audi, or VW. Knew all the iterations of owners during the period & they were all privateers. The dealership is now known as Beechmont P/A - I believe part of the Williams family, but not certain - I've lived in PA for the last 11 years & have lost track.

I suspect that my '88 Audi was a "spec" car sitting at MIDVO (or whatever it was called in 1988). I bought it from Moser P/A, but they had to locate it ( I wanted sport seats). Still don't understand how the two dealers could have had the same dealer code, though. And, like I said - does it matter? Ancient history.
MGS 914
I found the dealer code on the pre-delivery inspection sheet that came with the car, it also has the vin number but no dealer name. I was "told" the car was originally sold in Phoenix Arizona area but back in 1974 that could be any number of dealers. Porsche dealers used different dealer numbers than VW did. I assume Audi/Porsche used the same. I hope to locate the selling dealer name to complete that part of the cars history. Mark
Rusty
Where did you get your dealer code? On the Cardex or the bill of sale?
911quest
MGS 914
I made a call todat that dealer code is a VW dealer number and it looks like it was some where in Arizona hope that helps
MGS 914
Thanks for the info, I hope to find the original dealer eventually but every little bit helps. I'm suprised Porsche Cars North America doesnt answer my emails asking for dealer info, what a poor reflection on customer service.
1970 Neun vierzehn
MGS,
I talked with the VW dealership that I'm loosely affiliated with as well as a Porsche dealership and checked my original delivery book and factory service log book.
The midwestern distributor for Porsche, Audi and VW was, as Pat Garvey said, MIDVo. Their code was 403-000 (as stamped in my book)
The three P+A dealers that serviced my car all had dealer codes that began with 403-xxx. Even though the physical dealership stayed the same, as the name (and I'm presuming ownership) changed, the 403-xxx number was changed (upward).
A very long term Porsche dealership in Cleveland is also 403-xxx. My 1965 original VW dealership that HAS NOT changed ownership is still 403-149 (42 years w/ the same #). My VW dealership tells me that the 422-xxx numbers were assigned to Arizona AND SoCal. New Mexico dealers didn't gert that 422-xxx code.
My friends at the VW store are trying to track down your 422-B02 code. If they can shed any light on the originating dealer, be certain that I will share the info with you.

Paul
MGS 914
Paul
Thank you for the info, and I'll keep my fingers crossed, I appreciate your help.
Mark
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 14 2007, 10:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 12 2007, 11:17 PM) *

Afraid I'm no help either. Got my '72 from Cronin's P/A in Cincinnati, dealer 403-A08. My delivery doc's only show the distributors ('72). My original dealer changed to Moser P/A in the mid-70's & became Beechmont P/A thereafter ( & today). So, the 403 code must have applied to southern Ohio & Kentucky (probably Indiana too).

Pat

Did some additional digging & came up with this:
My original dealer (Classic P/A - Cincinnati) was code 403-A05 - this was 1972
Classic P/A was sold in '73 & became Cronin's P/A, code 403-A17
Cronin's P/A was sold in '76 & became Moser P/A, code 403-A18
Dealer codes disappeared from service invoices in 1977 (mine, at least)

Now, this should really muddy things up. In 1988 I bought an Audi that had been originally delivered to a dealer in Dublin, Ohio - code 403-A05!

I suspect the first 3 characters applied to either a zone or distributor (same distributor for Ohio & Kentucky at least until the mid-70's - may not have ever changed as far as I know). The distributor for Ohio/Ky during that period was in Dublin, Ohio (MIDVO).

So, I'm just as confused as when I started digging - how can I have the same dealer number in 1972 and 1988, when 2 different dealers were involved? Was there a re-alignment somewhere during the years? Does it even matter?

Just a quick update here to set the record straight. My initial dealer code for Classic P/A 403-008, not 005. If I'd learn to read better I wouldn't have these goofups! chair.gif
911quest
There is a dealer code listing over on the Samba that might help it is VW listing but might help someone
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.