Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: two types of cv joints?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmenche914

this is second time I have run into an early 1970 914 with samll CV joints. The jooints are same ont he outside but one type has smaller ball bearings in it. I have found a partial set of small balled CV joints only on two early 914's.

The only marks on the small balled CV's are the VW logo, and the number 3 under it.

Does anyone know if smaller balled CV's were stock on early 914's?

Did CV's change in pn or such during 914 production?

thanks
Cap'n Krusty
We've recently been through this. Because nearly all auto manufacturers use more than one supplier for many parts, they get what's on hand. If Lobro was doing a run of small-ball CV joints when the order came in, they may have simply drilled the outers for the pins and shipped 'em. Splines are the same, outers are the same, functionality is the same, and they obviously met the specs called out in the contract, so they used 'em. Another possibility is they came from another supplier. Doesn't matter, as units, they're mix 'n match. The Cap'n
PinetreePorsche
I'm not sure how much sharing went on between the VW and Porsche people on these items, But I do recall that when I bought a used earlly-70s VW transporter/ van/ bus transmission in a metro area to take to a friend living on the Navajo reservation, we discoverted that we had two different sized of balls/assemblies. Sounds like a patttern. Guess I should look in the shed for an old van spare cv I think I still have there and see if it matches those on my 72 and 73 '14s. -Chris H
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.